I need help on how to structure my wrist

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys so my coach was chopping against me so I forehand topspin then he said you are supposed to do the “gooses” neck with your wrist so I can keep the angle there all the time.Is your wrist supposed to be straight or is it just style.I really want to get to a high level player

The goals of such kind of training session is to develope consistancy with a given excersise.
Your coach is trying to send you balls with consistant spin, at the same angle and on the same place so you can find the way to return the ball consistently with the required tecnnique. The gooses necked wrist helps you keep the blade on a fixed position and easier feel and find the appropriate angle and move. If your wrist is loose, without the appropriate technique you will give to the ball different spin, angle and direction with every return and your coach will not return to you consistent balls - the excersise fails and you can't develope. So listen to the coach, if you have hasitations just ask him.
About the goose and the style - once you develope persistant skills, you may start to polish your style tuning in your way the different elements of the archtecture of a technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
This is a question i have been personally quite vexed about.
In my opinion the point of the wrist, and greater hand is in the forehand topspin to transfer power from ones waist/ and preferably also ones legs es efficiently as possible to the ball. I experimented with the gooseneck wrist, and my coach also told me to use it, however it requires a extreme forehand stance, which is less ideal in a match environment. The reason why my coach told me to use it is too experience that the wrist must be tense when hitting the ball. Rigyj now the mainstream technique is to relaxing the wrist, adjust its angle before hitting a ball(subconscious from muscle memory). The when/before one hits the ball tense up the wrist. However this is way to much to deal with if one does not have a stable stroke, so i would just say to keep the wrist in a straight line and make it stable. Over time you can learn this explosiveness of relaxing and tensing up, which i believe comes natural if one relaxes ones body after each shot. So i guess to answer your question i for now would play your forehand Loop with a straight wrist, meaning when you hold your paddle infront of you your wrist should be in a straight line. and tense so you get consistency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59M8jJSwOhQ This explains the grip pretty nicely, and the role of wrist and fingers for advanced stages.
https://butterflyonline.com/importance-fingers-wrist-table-tennis/ So does this somewhat.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I mean I see the top juniors in my club they all use the gooses neck and I’m a mid low intermediate level player who has a habit of doing forehands with straight lines.im also wondering you know the movement drill 1 backhand 1 forehand will I be able to switch for each shot.So I do a forehand topspin with the goose wrist and I turn to the backhand will my wrist be in a weird position? It’s hard to explain

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
i Do the forehand topspin with goose wrist I turn to backhand my wrist starts being out of position and it’s bent it’s not like a gooses neck.Is that a natural thing or?

What is a goose's neck?

Angle your wrist in a way that the blade to be paralel to the forearm, as a straight extention to it.
Beside providing firmer hold and persistency, it minimises the implement of a side spin.
Again - its obligatory for gaining fundamental basic skills.
loose wrist, wrist swing, grip change, etc. are salt and pepper in real game after getting the needed feel to the ball in a given technique.

Time to cut the salad - El Mundo es Football

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
offensive_strokes.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
eh guys do u mind if I can show you a video of me doing the weight forehand transfer by any chance by shadowing it in front of a mirror? I’d like to know if I’m doing it too much

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
can I also ask a question about service return? I can return a reverse pendulum sidespin with my backhand push.How do u do it with the forehand push cuz players know that’s my weakness on the forehand push when I return reverse sidespin serves