Mizuno Table tennis shoes

This user has no status.
I've been looking to buy new shoes to play with for quite some time now, and have made up my mind that I want something from Mizuno (have been using Butterfly shoes so far). The question is, are there any significant differences or improvements in the different versions of the Mizuno Wave Drive shoe line? I can get Mizuno Wave Drive 6 for quite a good price, on the other hand the Mizuno Wave Drive 8 costs around 1.5 of the price of the Wave Drive 6 and comparatively the Wave Drive Z costs twice as much. I'm just curious if it's worth it to invest twice the amount if I want them to last at least a couple of years or if even the Wave Drive 6 for example, which is a little bit outdated, should last around the same amount of time. I'm not a person that needs to have the number 1 new thing that is available, I'm more interested in durability and comfort. Thank you :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
It is depending on how your feet are. WD are for narrow feet or if your feet have a more constant width. They have good cushion and are good on most floor surface.
WD Z do not have as much cushion as WD series. They are better on TT floors due to the height of the cushion is low.
They are also a bit more wider at the metatarsal area.
I have the WD 8 and I am happy with them. They have a bit more ventilation vents than the predecessors.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I've played for nearly a year with the WD7. A very comfortable shoe, in which you can move well and that can take the punishment of constant agile movement well. I've had other shoes that burst/ripped seams, the Mizunos didn't.

The profile on the sole of my shoe (the right foot) was worn down entirely within that year, though. And once it did, it lost grip. I'm now using Stiga Liner shoes, and so far am about as pleased with these as I was with the Mizunos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
Mizuno has a line for wider feet - Kaiserburg, so don't blame WD for being slim.
About durability - it depends on personal weight, foot size, the way you swing and move, how extensive and how long are the session, the dynamics of the footwork, etc., but anyway you should not expect for sure more than a year of comfort. Couple of years is too much, unles you visit the club just now and then.

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I use WD 7 and it's a great shoe. Lightweight and comfortable.

I've played for nearly a year with the WD7. A very comfortable shoe, in which you can move well and that can take the punishment of constant agile movement well. I've had other shoes that burst/ripped seams, the Mizunos didn't.

The profile on the sole of my shoe (the right foot) was worn down entirely within that year, though. And once it did, it lost grip. I'm now using Stiga Liner shoes, and so far am about as please with these as I was with the Mizunos.

I've played in Wave Drive 7s for the last 18 months and I couldn't be happier. As Giangt said they are narrow, but not uncomfortably so and it does mean they don't move around on your feet when you're playing.

I've been making similar observations with my WD7.
Totally satisfied

Reactions: JST and Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I've had a few Mizuno pairs (WD8, WM5) and none of them lasted for more than 15 months. The soles will wear out and the shoes become slippery after a year. I only play 2 times a week.
They are too expensive for me because I can only get 1 year out of them. I'm looking at other shoes for indoor activities (futsal, squash, badminton, basketball) instead. But if you can get WD6 for $50 or $60, it'd be a good deal.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I bit the bullet on some Mizuno wave drive 8's and now regret the decision as they made my feet and knees hurt too much, even with insoles. I switched over to slightly thicker asics vball shoes and most of the pain has gone away. Didn't have the slightest bit of knee pain before I started wearing the wave drives. I was also playing on pretty hard wooden flooring. I read that Mizunos were sortof meant for surfaces like gerflor. Which is why we see it on tv so often.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I bit the bullet on some Mizuno wave drive 8's and now regret the decision as they made my feet and knees hurt too much, even with insoles. I switched over to slightly thicker asics vball shoes and most of the pain has gone away. Didn't have the slightest bit of knee pain before I started wearing the wave drives. I was also playing on pretty hard wooden flooring. I read that Mizunos were sortof meant for surfaces like gerflor. Which is why we see it on tv so often.

I normally play on a suspended wooden floor rather than Gerflor, and Wave Drives are fine on that. I agree though that if you regularly play somewhere where the floor has a concrete base then you'd be better off with a shoe with more cushioning. Hi-Tec squash shoes are a good and cheap bet there, if you can handle the inevitable extra weight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Does anyone know where I can get new insoles for my Wave Drives 8?

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-27 at 14.56.25.jpg

I'm playing 4 times a week and I bought them not even 4 months ago :(

A problem could be that I need US size 12 or EU size 46, which is I problem when I look an Japanese Internet sites.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Last edited:
Reactions: StehTischtennis