BTY Primorac Japan vs. Euro version + suitable rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,

i'm currently playing BTY Grubba All+ with Donic Baracuda. I really like that setup, i also tried way faster one but always returned back to mentioned one.
As i progress i would like to change my setup a bit. i thought about the Primorac.

1st Q: as the Japan version is build in Japan, the Euro version in Bulgarian (i might be wrong). are there a big playing or quality difference as the Japan version is 50% more expensive (40 € vs. 60 €).

2nd Q: i found my ideal rubber with Baracuda. I also tried out Vega Pro, Rasanter R50, H3, H3N - just to name few. I just felt in love with Baracuda with the first use. the greatest prospect is the high throw, it's so easy to open up backspin balls. Thus it add's a big variation possibility to my play. As i havent tried out BTY rubbers i would like to give it a try. As T05 and VP seems to be close, i dont think i'm gonna like T05. What about Rozena? Any other recommendations? I am willing to give two a go with the order of the Primorac.

Thx guys.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
1st. There was a discussion not long ago about the two versions of Primoracs. Looks like in some parts of the world there is only one version. Here in Nauru (some people mistake it for Poland ; ) there are those two versions being sold. Euro version seems to be harder, stiffer and with less feeling than the JP one. Overall people say JP has better build quality, but it is hard for me to judge. Euro version seem to me also a bit head heavy and this is why I decided to trim the blade's head a little on the top (yes I did : ) and It was a mistake, seem too stiff now and "just not right".

2nd. As you can see I'm using JP version with mx-s(fh) and t05 (bh). I used to have barracuda on the bh, but somehow the blocking was unpredictable, and generally too slow imho. One advise from me is that you have to use rubbers with hard sponges, because the JP is quite soft so it does not work well with soft rubbers. Even with mx-s and tenergy the setup is quite control oriented. Never tried it with Rasanter or Rozena but who knows. I used to have it with 05 on the fh and 05fx bh, but specially 05 on the fh seem to be too mushy ... hard and fast mx-s is the best match I've found.

Generally i switch back and forth between this setup and the TB ALC one (basically two opposite ones), Im thinking about something in the middle and maybe I'll buy another Primo Euro this time - a bit harder, hence it should be a bit faster.

... or I'll switch to the sand paper competitions, but this is a completely another story ... ; )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hi jawien, ty for ur great post.

i have a question: u said Euro version is more headheavy, thus u trimmed it. in the next sentence u mention that u play the JP version. i guess u meant the JP version to be more headheavy.

secondly i agree baracuda is soft, just as my grubba. i tried out YEO with Baracuda and returned back real quick, because u have to attack more with YEO nor the ball goes to net while with Grubba support more lazy shots.

i guess i'm gonna need try out T05 too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
The Euro version is the one which was trimmed : ) and you know what, I just compared the sizes of two rackets and it looks like the Euro version is still a little slightly taller then the Japan one. It was trimmed about 3-4 mm. So the shape is definitely not the same and the handle is a bit thicker on the Euro too.

I also should not use the word "mushy" for the 05 feeling on the Primorac. It's just that its springiness, high throw angle and the catapult didn't really work with Primo on the fh side for me. I need a hard feel on the fh. For bh it is perfectly fine, although something more speed oriented like 64 might be a better choice (didn't try it though).

As for the Barracuda, it didn't feel soft on the Primo, it was certainly harder then the 05, but it lacked some springiness to the extend that it was hard to predict how will it behave during blocking. Sometimes the ball would just drop on the table and sometimes it bounced off quite ok, but I'll encourage you to try it yourself, maybe you'll like it despite the effect I observed.

Ps. Since I figured the trimmed Euro version I have is the same size as the Japan one, maybe I'll give it another try ... ;) Best.