Help me i am a equiment junkie

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You could try to seriously improve your table tennis skills instead :p

Well, one doesn't exclude the other...
[EMOJI6]
But all joking aside Xylit has a very good point. Your money will be invested much better amd smarter if you would spend it on one-on-one coaching oder in a few Lehrgänge!
[Emoji12]

Reactions: Simas
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
what can i do to stop beiing an equipment junkie haha i hope you have some nice tips :))

You should get that special composition of equipment that is just right for you. Then your quest is over and you can focus on the game.

Or you can focus on your game, and in that focus make equipment obsession fade away.

I’m pretty sure one of these approaches works. You get to decide which one.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Study carefully before you buy anything, especially about your style, what kind of equipment do you need for your style, etc. Build a setup and if it's decent, stick with it for at least 3 months before you try something new. And when you try something new, replace only one rubber (or the blade) at a time. That way you can feel and compare the new rubber/blade to the old one. After a while, you may have better understanding of what type of equipment works for you, hardness, weight, speed, control, grippy or sticky, etc.

Many ESN rubbers are very similar to each other, so you don't need to try all of them.

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
i think both, but i had the feeling that the setup isn't quite right, won most games with the innerforce layer alc but it makes no fun to play with this blade haha

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Buy all blades and rubbers available in the world then your problem is solved.

No. There is no reproducable experiment. Ones game, skill, feeling, level changes when (and partially by) spending trying stuff.

The very first blade you pick up and toss aside as unsuitable may be the very best one after going through more of them. It’s not that simple.

You need to grow into your equipment. Adapt. Improve yourself. You may outgrow it, or it may outgrow you as you deteriorate by the wear of time. It’s a complex dynamic, without ceteris paribus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
No. There is no reproducable experiment. Ones game, skill, feeling, level changes when (and partially by) spending trying stuff.

The very first blade you pick up and toss aside as unsuitable may be the very best one after going through more of them. It’s not that simple.

You need to grow into your equipment. Adapt. Improve yourself. You may outgrow it, or it may outgrow you as you deteriorate by the wear of time. It’s a complex dynamic, without ceteris paribus.
At least the OP will stop buying equipment because there is not more to buy and the he would focus on other stuff. Perhaps playing TT. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
My 0.02$ is the following.

A) If you're at a very rudimentary level follow the standard tip and buy an all wood setup with Mark V or Sriver and don't EJ.

B) If you have some basics you will need to figure out if you're into tensor or tacky Chinese rubbers. I had to put in >20h to figure out that tensor rubbers isn't for me no matter if it's Butterfly this or Tibhar that. No way that I would've figured this out without going EJ for a while. Borrowing someone's setup for a few minutes isn't going to give you answers.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It's not a problem. Enjoy your only life.

But the best thing I guess is to buy radically different stuff. A super fast blade, a soft 5 ply blade, a Viscaria, and the same thing with rubbers; a fast one, a spinny one, a hard tacky chinese rubber (battle2 is great), a tenergy05 etc.

So you can't tell yourself "yeah but what if I had really fast stuff... Yeah but what if I had what the pros play (Viscaria+Tenergy).... yeah but what if I just tried some control setup" etc.

Basically cover all bases as cheaply as possible and you'll be over it. Possibly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I have known several players who have had a fantasy about playing with the fastest rubber after buying reality sets in they can't control it.

A lot of info here in one place. Read the intro then make your decision, well worth 5-10 minutes of your time.

Link .... North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/NorthLittleRockTableTennisGroup/?ref=bookmarks

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This behavior is described by the N + 1 rule, which some say was a conjecture that originated with Einstein.

Y = N + 1 where Y is the ideal number of blades to own and where N is the number you own now.

If Einstein is correct, you will never be cured.

Of course an alternative formulation attributed to Heisenberg is that the right number of blades to own is given by
Y = S - 1 where Y is as before and S is the number of blades that will cause your partner to leave you. The only question then simply becomes "how much do you love your wife?"

Last edited: