JOOLA Releases Patent-Pending Paddle Wipes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Yesterday JOOLA launched their new patent-pending paddle wipes (announced on their Facebook: JOOLAUSA).

JOOLA’s patent-pending Single-Use Table Tennis Paddle Cleaning Wipes make maintaining your table tennis paddle rubber surface a breeze. These wipes are made with wet-strength, 100% plant-based cellulose material, which is biodegradable and skin & rubber safe.

Use the wipe to rejuvenate the paddle rubber and bring back the spin and speed after each use. The formula is also antistatic, which reduces cling of dust and debris. Regular use extends the durability of the rubber.

These single use wipes are small, light, and easily transportable. They fit easily into any paddle case or table tennis bag, making it easy for optimal table tennis play whether you’re at home or at the table tennis club. Each package contains 18 wipes.

I think it'd be nice to carry around instead of my usual spray cleaner. I try to carry as little as possible with me to the club.

Thoughts?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just use water.

By the way, all paddle wipes (including clothes moistened with water) would be illegal according to literal readings of current ITTF rules which forbid "any chemical or physical treatment" of the rubber. Water and these Joola wipes are chemicals. Wiping them over the surface is a treatment.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Ive yet to see a cleaning product that doesnt rapidly degrade the rubber. But even if... why bother

This user has no status.
I think it is a clever idea and big on the convenience factor for the casual player. I was asking folks at the local club what they mostly use recently and it was pretty diverse across all the usual suspects (none, breath/hand, clothes, water, cleaner/sponge).

Lot of people that don't like the cleaners claim they damage the rubber. I'm curious how people feel about the various sponges themselves and how they affect the surface over time even if you just use water?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have never ever used any kind of rubber cleaner. Just water / breath and whatever is there to wipe it off (arm, shorts, shirt, hands...). No problems at all. "Single use", what a bullshit.

While Der_Echte waz a natural born cynic like you and agreez wit 'ya... not everyone views cleaning like we do.

In Korea, most players buy a rubber and use it 4x past the recommend use of est. 100 play hours. Koreans will buy expensive cleaner, sponge, and case... and with dedication, clean each sheet of rubber at the end of the night and place protective sheets over the rubber... then do it all over again the next day. Very typical scene you would see in Korea.

I wipe it off on my sweaty jersey, wipe it on anything that is dry (or wave it back and forth if nothing on me is dry), toss it in the bat case and good to go... but everyone has a propensity to roll that way.

I have nothing against a special rejuevinative session to restore long neglected rubber, and I am quite famous for mentioning several ways to go about that, but pretty much, I roll like Xylit does.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I use the cleaner when at home from time to time. To the club, I carry only a small sponge and use water. There is some cleaner left inside the sponge when I use it only with water at the club (I see some foam when swiping the rubbers with a sponge), so I don't think it's necessary to carry any chemicals to the club too. If there is any need for them at all..

This user has no status.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the usage of rubber cleaners although personally I don't need them. Half of the people in my club use them as well :p
However, I don't think this "single use" concept is necessary except for Joola's profit. We are producing so much garbage every day, I really dislike most of the "single use" products as there most of the times are better alternatives available. Especially when this single use product contains chemicals (no idea which ones will be included there) I don't like such options.