beginner needs help

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
I have played table tennis for 5 yrs, my basic strokes ( back hand, forehand , service...etc) are all quite good. When I practice with my trainer, I can do everything very well, but when I play games, I can hardly play 50% as I do with my trainer. The questin is :
After I serve, what should I do? Getting ready to defense or attack ?

Sep 2016
I played chinese Penhold, I am not a defence player, I normally like to atttack after serve but I found it not easy sometimes with people who attack my service. , may be my service is not strong like what you said so I should get ready to defence. I get annoyed people can attack me so easily after their service but I can not do the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I have played table tennis for 5 yrs, my basic strokes ( back hand, forehand , service...etc) are all quite good. When I practice with my trainer, I can do everything very well, but when I play games, I can hardly play 50% as I do with my trainer. The questin is :
After I serve, what should I do? Getting ready to defense or attack ?

Hey James, i would also say this mostly depends on how you serve.
If you serve long then expect your opponent to attack and prepare to counter attack.
That being said, there's two things for you now:
a) try to do a lot of serve/receive drills. Might not always be exciting but it really helps a lot. Your coach should be able to help here. Also finding different practice partners with different type o serves will help get better and easier get into the rallies.

b) it seems you don't have a match plan yet. If so then make yourself one.
Like for instance: if you serve sidespin/backspin half long (where the second bounce would be around your opponent's baseline) to your opponent's forehand where would you most likely expect his receive to go?
Would you expect it on your fh side/ middle or bh side? Would your opponent play a rather soft attack or will he directly fully blast through?
And so on...

But you should also really talk to your coach. He should be able to help here as well.

Bonne chance

Ok, its obvious that for 5 years of training with a coach you already have a decent technique with all kind of strokes.
Now its time to pay more attention to real game tactics and scenarios. Ask your coach to train this, not only keeping rally.
When you train with a partner, pay attention how he returns every one of your particular servs and think what would be the best strategy to continue, when and how to open the game and when and how to end the point.

Last edited: