Moving on from Hardbat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi everyone. I've been a Hardbat player, since swapping from tennis about 2.5 years ago. I play with a custom Valor blade with Dr Evil on both sides. I attack everything that comes to my forehand, and usually chop or block my backhand to set up my forehand. I'll attack on my backhand only if it's easy. I play in a local league in my area, and last season I didn't lose a singles match, after slowly improving over the 2.5 years. But I had the opportunity to play a VERY good player two weeks ago. An ex Australian representative. He beat me, obviously. He was talking to me after the match, and said he thought I probably wouldn't improve more with my Hardbat. He suggested I put inverted with sponge on at least my forehand, and maybe medium or long pips on my backhand. But I have no idea what to get. I want to continue to be very aggressive on my forehand, but defensive on my backhand. What is a good forehand rubber for me? What sponge thickness? What would be a good blade? What should I put on my backhand so I can chop with backspin all day? Thanks to any who can offer advice.

Till now you have played with the same FH/BH, so maybe it would be better to continue like that.
Hardbats give much less spin than sandwiches, so the trajectory of the sandwich will depend much more on your moves and the quality of spin. Usually sponged rubbers with a high top spin arc produce low underspin arc and those with a low top spin arc produce high underspin arc. Some rubbers produce equal arcs. For me such rubbers are Butterfly T80 and Xiom Omega V Asia. Both are Off, the Asia is harder.
I think that its better to give some different bats a try, ones of your friends and partners to get the feeling.

This user has no status.
There is no way to recommend equipment until you have hit with something for some length of time and can relate back to someone how it feels, whether the ball tends to go low or high for you, etc. Who knows you might even hate sandwiched rubber table tennis. But if not, a knowledgeably player watching you play with the bat you are trying and listening to your descriptive feed back may then be able to direct you to rubber that is faster/slower and tackier/less tacky, etc. There are many many factors in equipment and play style which makes this very important.

If you can't borrow a bat for awhile and just want to dive into something I would go to Paddle Palace and pick up one of their Combo Specials (maybe the Mk V Special - which is a good intro Offensive blade and has a good beginners rubber on both sides). There are cheaper ways to start but this is probably the simplest if you are on your own trying to get started. If there are people around your club who can help then I would ask them, but it doesn't seem like it since you are posting your query here.

After you play with something for awhile, if there is no one locally you can turn to, then come back here and relate your experience or better yet post some short video. Then we might be of some use to you. Until then we are just guessing.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Try a clubmate's blade and see what you like. This transition will not be easy but will be worth it for you in the long run.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Ok, you're Australian and considering the pros and cons of inverted AND pips. Why are you asking your questions here? Ooakforum is chockers with Aussies who know all about this stuff and who can not only voice an opinion but may even live next door to you and would be happy to let you try their setups. Haggis is in Adelaide, superhappyfunslider is on the Gold Coast, and I know there are Sydneysiders and Melbournites as well. (Although you'd probably only take advice from someone from Sydney if you were cursed with being from NSW yourself. ;) )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Ok, you're Australian and considering the pros and cons of inverted AND pips. Why are you asking your questions here? Ooakforum is chockers with Aussies who know all about this stuff and who can not only voice an opinion but may even live next door to you and would be happy to let you try their setups. Haggis is in Adelaide, superhappyfunslider is on the Gold Coast, and I know there are Sydneysiders and Melbournites as well. (Although you'd probably only take advice from someone from Sydney if you were cursed with being from NSW yourself. ;) )

Haha, I'm from Melbourne, so don't have the Syndey bias.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go ask over there.

And I might rephrase the way I ask. I've clearly confused people here.

Probably a better question would have been: What is a good blade and beginner inverted rubber for forehand, and a good long pips rubber for those new to long pips.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One possibility is a Butterfly Korbel with Xiom Vega inverted. You might just put the inverted on the FH for now and put a hardbat rubber on your BH. That is just one possibility.

The problem with your last question is there are a gazillion good answers that you will receive. There are a lot of blades and rubbers that might suit you. My guess from about ten years on TT forums is posters at OOAK will suggest somewhat slower equipment than people here. In the end you need to try something. I suggest trying blades of clubmates. It's free and gives you a sense of what's out there.