serve

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
What is the defination of good serve ?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Adding to the more general things people have already written, the advantage is often produced by the serve being in some way slightly different than it appears to be and/or or in a place the opponent has trouble covering

Sep 2016
thank you for all the advises

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
This is what Google answered.

A good serve

Remember the five basic food groups from the 1970s? You were
supposed to choose from five categories to ensure you were eating
a balanced diet with all your essential vitamins and minerals. There
were fruit and vegetables; bread and cereals; proteins (meat, fish,
chicken and eggs); dairy foods; and fats and oils.

Reactions: RidTheKid
Sep 2016
I agree, thank you, it is so nice of you to help

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Getting more specific and also providing a path to get where you want to be:

It is good to start by developing two serves that look pretty similar and that arent't. One can be fairly heavy and the other one less heavy, but the important thing is they have to look the same in terms of motion. And you need to learn to do these two serves very low. I used to work on this by clamping a couple of chopsticks to the net post (with large document paper clips from my office) and I would tie a string between them so that I had a window of about 6 cm between the net and the string and then I would serve buckets of balls under the string with various spins etc. Nothing develops touch in table tennis faster than that. Then gradually reduce the size of the window.

The second thing you will want to develop after that are some reliable long serves. Not half-long. Very long. They should bounce within about 5 cm of the backline on the table or less. This is not as easy as it sounds. But work on that.

By the way, you cannot develop good serves without a bucket with lots of balls and a net to pick them up. So invest in that if you don't already have that. And you have to work on it intensely for many weeks. So devote a little of every practice to developing these skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badger and Suga D
Sep 2016
thank you again. My main problem is when I practise my serve is very good, as soon as I play game, I serve different with when I practise. Very strange, I don,t know why, I am always very upset during the game because I could not serve like what I normally do when I practise, I do service at home all the time, I do so so well at home but as soon as someone standing oppoist the table, my service will be different. That really upset me and because of that I can not really concentrate on the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
thank you again. My main problem is when I practise my serve is very good, as soon as I play game, I serve different with when I practise. Very strange, I don,t know why, I am always very upset during the game because I could not serve like what I normally do when I practise, I do service at home all the time, I do so so well at home but as soon as someone standing oppoist the table, my service will be different. That really upset me and because of that I can not really concentrate on the game.

The only way to overcome this is to play more matches, until you realize that it's not the end of the world if you lose. I treat match play as practice for match play, and find this very calming. I am also playing much better since adopting this attitude, largely because instead of worrying about losing, I am analyzing the opponent's play. This often leads me to experiment with serve options, including keeping them low and short.

Reactions: Suga D and phorkyas
I do service at home all the time, I do so so well at home but as soon as someone standing oppoist the table, my service will be different. That really upset me and because of that I can not really concentrate on the game.

Your emotional mood is very important and you have to work on it. This is the subjective part of the problem.
The objective part is that there is a difference between your home and the club hall environment characteristics.
Humidity and preasure do matter, how high the ceiling is do matter too. It will be a good idea to practise in the club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

When practicing your serve at home, do you complete each repetition by ending in the ready position? A lot of people practice without moving their feet at all, just serving and then grabbing the next ball from the bucket and repeating. But recovery to ready position to receive the third ball is part of the serve. If you don't practice that part, then you're actually practicing *not* doing it which can lead to bad habits. Experienced players can get away with practicing like that, but if you're having problems serving well in games then I'd recommend making all your practice reps as realistic as possible. You can also incorporate serving into most drills by beginning each rep with a choreographed serve and return that lead into the drill.

Reactions: Badger
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The real trick is to keep the serve low under pressure when playing the finals of your event and you see the prize money when you close your eyes.

It is a lot easier if you actuallt train it the way I described with the chopsticks and string. The one thing I KNOW I can do no matter pressure is serve low snd short. Evrtything else may fall apart but ZTHAT I can do. Because I trained it so much I can almost do it with my eyes closed.

This user has no status.
When practicing your serve at home, do you complete each repetition by ending in the ready position? A lot of people practice without moving their feet at all, just serving and then grabbing the next ball from the bucket and repeating. But recovery to ready position to receive the third ball is part of the serve. If you don't practice that part, then you're actually practicing *not* doing it which can lead to bad habits.

I can say as a beginner, I now have this problem. I practiced my serve a lot without moving to a ready position afterwards. In matches, if I concentrate too much on doing a good serve, I will forget to move afterwards and just finish standing in the same spot too close to the table. I have to consciously remind myself to actually forget the serve, and move to a ready position straight away, and prepare for the rest of the point.

Reactions: Andy44
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It is a lot easier if you actuallt train it the way I described with the chopsticks and string. The one thing I KNOW I can do no matter pressure is serve low snd short. Evrtything else may fall apart but ZTHAT I can do. Because I trained it so much I can almost do it with my eyes closed.

Keeping serve low in practice (whether with a device or without) is necessary, but not sufficient to do so in a match.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A serve that will give you the advantage

I was once told a good serve is one that the opponent can't attack. That might have been true or easier to achieve back in the day. But today with the over the table flip on serve return and given I've played this game long enough to now realize that some players like X type of balls. So really it's not as simple as a ball they can't attack. Maybe you're opponent really likes the closed, short play game. And maybe they're better at it than you are since that's what they specialize in. So short low backspin serves might play right into what they prefer. You'd be better off with something fast & long baiting them into attacking. Again this is just an example.

Anyways, RedTheKid nailed it. "A serve that will give you the advantage."

Boom. Case closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: hillwalker
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Keeping serve low in practice (whether with a device or without) is necessary, but not sufficient to do so in a match.

It has been for me. But I would also say that I trained that one thing with pretty extreme intensity for a long time because I knew I needed as many easy points as I could get (and after 40+ balls came out I returned to that aspect of the game with the same intensity because it was immediately obvious to me that if the ball gets even a little too high or long when you don't want it to, the opponent will make you pay these days). On the key points that is not the thing that will let me down.

Now what comes after that? That is where I will choke.

Let me also emphasize the first part of your statement. If you never train it, you will certainly have no confidence when you are serving at 10-10 -- and that is the time the serve will get away from you and your opponent these days will flick the return and take the initiative. But you have to train it the right way. You need feedback. My simple device provides an instant way to gauge if your trajectory is off. If you can't control the trajectory of the ball on your serve, you will never have a good serve. Everything starts from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMC