Poly balls : which balls are "approved" by table tennis England?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
No, It isn't. That's a rule by personal criteria
Hi all,

In our local league rules it's states:
"Only table tennis England approved balls shall be used"

Does anyone know if such an official approval actually exists or is it literally just a reference to the ITTF equipment list?

Many thanks.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Hi all,

In our local league rules it's states:
"Only table tennis England approved balls shall be used"

Does anyone know if such an official approval actually exists or is it literally just a reference to the ITTF equipment list?

Many thanks.

I think you're right, they just mean "balls approved by ITTF." If you know anyone on the league committee ask them to clarify - they are responsible for the wording of their rule, after all ! Last season Table Tennis England were using Joola Flash in their own events. Next season - who knows ? Lol !

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I think you're right, they just mean "balls approved by ITTF." If you know anyone on the league committee ask them to clarify - they are responsible for the wording of their rule, after all ! Last season Table Tennis England were using Joola Flash in their own events. Next season - who knows ? Lol !

The Dutch tt association has a regulation about this. It states: all ITTF approved balls, plus a list of additional allowed non-*** balls, and a provision about special dispensation for clubs in which playing conditions make non-white balls a must. (That list just got updated; as of june this year, it's https://www.nttb.nl/sites/default/f...ane niet-celluloid ballen 2018-2019 (002).pdf).

I actually know such a club. They got a visit from the royals one of who applied a few strokes of glossy white paint showing their generosity in aiding a social cause. That entire wall ended up brightly white, and if you play facing it you can’t see the ball. But hey, that wall was painted by royal varmint and hence untouchable, so orange celluloid it it. Ah well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shifu
Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
I have been told and also saw information from web ad, double fish ball is the one to be used now and accept by ITTF

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The league hereabouts (in England) supplies Tibhar balls (as part of the entry cost I suppose). All seamless are pretty much the same afaics. I don't know if playing with other ITTF balls would be frowned upon in league matches. I suspect not as they only supply enough for one new ball for each of our home matches.

I have been told and also saw information from web ad, double fish ball is the one to be used now and accept by ITTF
I saw that this ball was used in the Team Championships in London earlier this year, but I don't recall seeing anything where the ITTF say "its the one to use" ?

I know that the ball "selected" for a number of UK based events (British League, Cadet and Junior League etc) is the Joola flash ball, but I didn't see anything official on TTE website ?

Last edited:
The league hereabouts (in England) supplies Tibhar balls (as part of the entry cost I suppose). All seamless are pretty much the same afaics. I don't know if playing with other ITTF balls would be frowned upon in league matches. I suspect not as they only supply enough for one new ball for each of our home matches.

Wow, Which league is that that give you the balls ? :cool: Do your league charge you a fee to cover the extra cost for supplying the balls or maybe its already incorporated into the league fees ?

A number of the teams (and summer league) for West Wilts (my local league) are moving to the Yinhe S40+ sold by ttequipment.co.uk.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Wow, Which league is that that give you the balls ? :cool: Do your league charge you a fee to cover the extra cost for supplying the balls or maybe its already incorporated into the league fees ?

They're not that expensive, so the cost is taken from individual and team fees almost certainly, but possibly from some kind of deal with Tibhar. Frankly, I'd be happier to supply DHS D40+, but as it stands, everyone plays with the same ball, which makes sense.

TTE (Table Tennis England) have specified Joola Flash for their tournaments, probably down to a sponsorship deal. For ITTF events around the world, it comes down to who wishes to be the ball sponsor, as long as they are on the ITTF approved list. So the Team World Cup in London used one ball, the Team World Championships in Halmstad used another, and so on.

Last edited: