What classic carbon blades to buy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Wanted to buy a custom all wood blade but my coach thinks I am not bad and should be using carbon blades. I am planning to use these carbon blades during competition. What blades should I buy? I want to find those blades that are classic (blades that continue to be used by many people after many years after its release). I heard Timo Bill Spirit is one of them. What do you think?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I would recommend trying out your friend's carbon blades and picking the ones you like best. When it comes to carbon blades, the type of carbon (ie ALC/ZLC etc) and the position (ie inner/ outer carbon) and wood composition (Ayous/Limba/Koto) will have an effect. If your not bothered with all of these or have no access to carbon blades without actually purchasing them, i recommend buying the Viscaria from butterfly. I personally tested it before and its a good all round carbon blade that does everything well. Good control and speed and from my testing is compatible with pretty much every type of rubber. There is a reason why its widely used in the pro scene. If you buy it and it doesnt suit you, there is always the resell value as there are relatively more people wiling to buy a viscaria at a discounted price compared to say other types of carbon blade. (emphasising relatively here).

Just for your reference my knowledge/experience comes from owning a Timo boll ALC, JM ZLC, HL 5, Zetro Quad and have regulary borrowed a viscaria and phontino from my friend. Each of these have been used at least for 6 months with some spanning 1-2 years (so we can ignore the "new equipment EJ impression" review of an equipment) . I have also used tensor and chinese rubbers as i was transitioning from euro jap rubbers to chinese rubbers.

MvR

This user has no status.

MvR

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I would recommend trying out your friend's carbon blades and picking the ones you like best. When it comes to carbon blades, the type of carbon (ie ALC/ZLC etc) and the position (ie inner/ outer carbon) and wood composition (Ayous/Limba/Koto) will have an effect. If your not bothered with all of these or have no access to carbon blades without actually purchasing them, i recommend buying the Viscaria from butterfly. I personally tested it before and its a good all round carbon blade that does everything well. Good control and speed and from my testing is compatible with pretty much every type of rubber. There is a reason why its widely used in the pro scene. If you buy it and it doesnt suit you, there is always the resell value as there are relatively more people wiling to buy a viscaria at a discounted price compared to say other types of carbon blade. (emphasising relatively here).

Just for your reference my knowledge/experience comes from owning a Timo boll ALC, JM ZLC, HL 5, Zetro Quad and have regulary borrowed a viscaria and phontino from my friend. Each of these have been used at least for 6 months with some spanning 1-2 years (so we can ignore the "new equipment EJ impression" review of an equipment) . I have also used tensor and chinese rubbers as i was transitioning from euro jap rubbers to chinese rubbers.

What frame do you like the most with you played with?

Aside from naming brand names, which don't tell anything, you should analyze your style and answer what type of blade you need - hard and stiff, hard and flex, soft and stiff, soft and flex. Try some blades of mates around you. Your couch and the club may have a lot of blades too.
Its easy to say "take Xiom Vega Tour blade, its a remarkable ZLC with Hinoki outer, ballanced for everything", but would it be best for you?

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I agree with the above but don’t overlook the Joola Rosskopf Emotion. Brilliant blade and afordable.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Some cheap Carbon Blades are:
DHS Bo2,DHS 301,DHS PG 5,Friendship F1,Donic Waldner Senso Carbon,Plus a billion Yinhe/Galaxy and Sword blades.
I would choose a blade with a Carbon close to the core to retain some of that woody feel.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Everyone in club uses Timo Boll ALC or something like that

At the end of the day, a variant of Viscaria.

But overall a great blade and so widely used, there should be options on the second hand market.

Between this, Spirit and Viscaria the individual build may vary slightly, but you´ll find differences also between the "same" blades when the weight is different, so get any out of these if you get it at reasonable price.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
any review about GEWO arc force, it looks interesting so if its good i might but it to test

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Like others have said, it's similar enough to Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC/Spirit/ZJK ALC, so if you can't find reviews of it by doing a search in the forums, google or youtube, just know that's it's just a thinner (5.2mm) and therefore slightly slower more controllable clone of these blades.

If you want a more exact clone of Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC/Spirit/ZJK ALC for the same price as Gewo Force ARC, get a Donic Ovtcharov/Original True Carbon which is the same thickness as these 4 (5.7-5.8mm) and therefore just as fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
I think Stiga All Round Classic Carbon Table Tennis Blade can be your next game changer blade. This paddle gives you extra stability in attacking and more speed.