Popularity of Table Tennis vs Badminton?

This user has no status.
So i'm a TT player and one of my mates is a badminton player. We were having a debate on which one is more popular and I was really unsure.

Does anyone know how these two sports compare In terms of number of spectators, or number of people that play the sports, based on country, or on a global level?

What about in China? How does the popularity between TT and badminton compare there?

EDIT: My observation in New Zealand is that badminton seems more a little bit more popular at the club level, and there are more badminton clubs than TT clubs around.

But if you include the very casual (garage players, table in the office or at summer camp) then TT probably beats badminton.

Beyond club level i'm not sure since NZ isn't known for either of these sports, and so both of the professional scenes are very small.

Last edited:
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
I think Badminton is more , you can see nowadays there is almost no news on newspapers about table tennis. Not much live broadcast of table tennis match. , but you can always see badminton news and tv progarmme .

says Aging is a killer
Table tennis is hugely popular as a recreational sport. I have seen atleast one tt table in majority of companies. It is seen as a great stress buster for employees. Badminton first of all requires much more space and is way more physical for novice level.

Agree. One can set up several TT tables in the space for Badminton courts. However, Badminton has a higher profile in UK and attracts more spectators. Perhaps because several WR players are based here in the UK.
Funny enough, a couple of the world's best squash players (Egyptian?) are here in my home city of Bristol. And we don't even have a decent squash league.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Table tennis and badminton are popular in China. Badminton was doing really well in Lin Dan's heydays until his extramarital scandal shortly after Rio. Nonetheless, his rivalry with Lee Chong Wei was really something to follow(comparable to WH and ML) from Beijing to London to Rio Olympics.

Population-wise, I'd say table tennis tops badminton, particularly among the older generations, though badminton is likely more popular among young folks, especially after London Olympics when China achieved a gold medal sweep in all 5 events. OTOH, from 2009-2014, table tennis experienced a noticeable decline after the podium sweeps in men's and women's singles at Beijing Olympics, with growing criticisms and hate comments over the utter domination cropping up in mainstream media and on internet forums. One could really feel the hostility towards table tennis during the period between 2011 and 2013. It wasn't until Rio Olympics, when China earned just 2 gold and 1 bronze in badminton, but defended all medals in table tennis, and with Mizutani beating XX in the team final that people's opinions shifted.

The rise of Japan in table tennis and badminton since London 2012 have boosted the popularity of both sports in Japan. Judging by media attention and polls, table tennis seems to garner more interest from the public, despite badminton having even better results. Table tennis in particular has been booming after Rio 2016.

Sports receving higher interest after Rio(Jun vs Sep):
1st Table tennis
2nd Badminton
3rd Wrestling
4th Tennis
https://www.huffingtonpost.jp/nielsen_sports/table-tennis_a_23236252/
0TkubKS.jpg

In a poll this past June, soccer even comes behind table tennis and badminton in ranking for amateur participation.

http://biz-journal.jp/2018/06/post_23580.html
The rankings by sports are as follows.

(1) Walking light gymnastics 41.3%
(2) using the instrument training 14.7%
(3) Bowling 12.7%
(4) jogging , marathon 12.1%
(5) swimming 11.0%
(6) mountain climbing, hiking 10.0%
(7) Fishing 8.7%
(8) Golf 7.9%
(9) Cycling 7.9%
(10) Baseball 7.2%
(11) Table tennis 6.8%
(12) Badminton 6.7%
(13) Soccer 6.0%

According to JTTA's latest report this June, they now have 348,195 registered players, an increase of 14,628 over last year, spreading evenly between elementary students and regular players, where the former sees a 120% increase over the previous year.

This user has no status.
My observation in New Zealand is that badminton seems more a little bit more popular at the club level, and there are more badminton clubs than TT clubs around.But if you include the very casual (garage players, table in the office or at summer camp) then TT probably beats badminton.

In Australia I'd say it's similar. About equal at the club/enthusiast level.

Recreational players, no contest - Almost everyone has played table tennis at some point, very few have played badminton (I've never played it). In a friend's garage, at school camp etc. Even my local gym has a TT table to play before or after your workout.

Sep 2016
individual country different, but world wide Badminton is more popular ( I think )

Sep 2016
some counties held tournament, there is no people go to watch but Badminton always at least has some. I watch both sport, I don,t play Badminton, I found out less newspaper and TV broadcast table tennis , but badminton news always on newspapers and can watch tv live programme. I watch You tube for tabletennis because there is not much on TV .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
In Iran people love table tennis more and Most of them know table tennis national players , like Nima and Noshad Alamiyan . About playing , men used to play Table tennis more but in recent years the number of women who were attracted to TT in Iran really has risen which has amazed me . In other view , if you play table tennis in park FOR SURE you will have some spectators there near the table as its interesting for them to see the ball goes and comes although badminton is popular too in case of playing with friends and family . Over all if I talk about popularity of these two sport in my country its Table tennis which comes first .

And also Table tennis is in top 10 popular sport list which publish by different sites every year in the world . Almost every year , table tennis Ranking is about 6th or 7th but I never have seen badminton there .

https://top10reviewof.com/most-popular-sports-in-the-world/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
Here almost everyone have had played some kind of badminton since an age of 5. In the town we have much more open-air sport-yards where you can play badminton, volleyball, basketball, football, tennis, but the TT clubs are just 3.
Anyway here badminton is not considered as a sport seriously.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Table Tennis way more popular you can tell by th youtube views thats a good indicator :)

I have switched from badminton to table tennis and now play 3 times a week. I have noticed that there is much more to discuss in table tennis such as types of blades and rubbers, strokes and spins, attacking v defensive play etc. In badminton the equipment is basically identical and strokes are simple which makes it a great sport to play but there is little to discuss. I think that is why there is more TT on the internet than badminton.

Sep 2016
most popular sport in the world 1) soccer 2)cricket 3) field hockey 4)tennis 5) volley ball 6) table tennis 7)basketball 8) baseball9) ruby 10) golf
Would you believe it ????
but some site, badminton is no.16 table tennis is no.20
Strange some site badminton is no.2 and table tennis no.6
so forget it