From Korbel to Viscaria a big step up?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi buddies, I need your help please: would be an upgrade from Korbel to Viscaria too big?

-------------- Optional reading ---------------

By the way i was a beginner last year and this I grew up a lot, I was using a yasaka Sweden extra with 2 med soft euro (LKT rapid soft & victas Limber 15) rubbers, and after 2 mid hard not tensor (Yinhe mercury 3 & Venus 2) rubbers, and after with 2 tensor rubbers (MX-P & Gold Arc 8) , and certainly is a very good blade, but I felt is inoffensive since the blade is not fast as I would like, even with the footwork and using whole my body, my shots are spinnier and a little bit faster, but it doesn't worth against experienced players.

------------- end optional reading ---------------

I'm playing with a Korbel (H3 neo FH & MX-P BH) which I like it very much, it feels clearly every hit, I'm in a club and I train just 4 hs per week, so I don't have enough time to do drills, reflex working, footwork, etc.
So I would like to step up from Korbel to Viscaria and change from Chinese rubber to euro rubbers (MX-P FH & Gold Arc 8 47,5 BH) the reason is clear, I need to effort with Chinese rubbers and the consequences are many contractures and pain, but I don't want to lose the very spinny short service which I can do only with the h3n, with the MX-P is spinny but not as short and spinny and h3n, because the 40% of my services are points.

I think use the Viscaria to get faster shots without lose control and add speed and spin.But I'm not sure. Can you help me please?

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Hey Dominus,

Korbel is indeed a great blade and requires a technique if you use a chinese rubber. Once you excel in your technique you will not want to change your FH rubber EVER!

However, I would still recommend you to stick with either blade or rubber setup and consider upgrading either of ‘em

Recommendation 1:
Korbel
Mxp (FH)
Mxp (BH)

On the other hand, if you are considering to change the blade, Viscaria is definitely not the one you are looking for.
Why not?
1. Viscaria is a composite blade and Korbel is a wooden one which means you will lose all the feedback you get from the blade while hitting.

2. Outer ply in Viscaria is Koto which is a hard wood, whereas in Korbel its Limba which is a soft wood, which means the ball will remain low when you hit/loop the ball resulting in a technique change

What to do?
Get a good woody feeling blade which is faster than Korbel

Recommendation:
- Innerforce layer ZLF
- Liu Shiwen ZLF
- DHS Hurricane Long 3
- OSP Virtuoso Off+
- Nittaku Hurricane Long 7

All of them pairs well with MXP and Hurricane rubbers

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hey Dominus,

Korbel is indeed a great blade and requires a technique if you use a chinese rubber. Once you excel in your technique you will not want to change your FH rubber EVER!

However, I would still recommend you to stick with either blade or rubber setup and consider upgrading either of ‘em

Recommendation 1:
Korbel
Mxp (FH)
Mxp (BH)

On the other hand, if you are considering to change the blade, Viscaria is definitely not the one you are looking for.
Why not?
1. Viscaria is a composite blade and Korbel is a wooden one which means you will lose all the feedback you get from the blade while hitting.

2. Outer ply in Viscaria is Koto which is a hard wood, whereas in Korbel its Limba which is a soft wood, which means the ball will remain low when you hit/loop the ball resulting in a technique change

What to do?
Get a good woody feeling blade which is faster than Korbel

Recommendation:
- Innerforce layer ZLF
- Liu Shiwen ZLF
- DHS Hurricane Long 3
- OSP Virtuoso Off+
- Nittaku Hurricane Long 7

All of them pairs well with MXP and Hurricane rubbers

Cheers

I was thinking about to change blade but without change rubbers, MX-P both sides is an excel option, but I was thinking about change rubbers to Korbel, since that you told me, what do you think in MX-P to FH and gold Arc 8 47,5 to BH or 50 deg ? It's less spinnier and less springier than MX-P, so I think could be more comfortable, am I wrong?

Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
I’ve tried gold arc 8 on a Xiom Feel ZX3 which is a top notch hinoki composite blade and it worked well with it. I could easily pulloff those killer topspin points at 5th ball attack.

I do not know how will it work with Korbel because of its springy nature.

Are you uncomfortable with MXP on both sides? Or you just feel to experiment/try gold arc 8 based on user reviews?

Reactions: dominus7
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The only way to know would be to try it yourself. I love Viscaria blades, the feel, the speed, everything. Not everyone will like it but there is a reason it is such a popular blade. A switch from a Korbel would take awhile for you to feel perfectly comfortable in short game and serve. But don't think for a second it is some sort of super-fast canon of a blade. It is not, and in these days with heavier balls it becomes even more suitable for some players.

Here is the one thing I would advise though. If you try the Viscaria blade, use it with the rubbers you use now. Only change one thing at a time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Here is the one thing I would advise though. If you try the Viscaria blade, use it with the rubbers you use now. Only change one thing at a time.

Sorry for offtopic, but that's a very good advice. A lot of players change the setup too drastically in one go. To a very different blade and also to different rubbers and then when they don't like it, they don't know whats wrong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I’ve tried gold arc 8 on a Xiom Feel ZX3 which is a top notch hinoki composite blade and it worked well with it. I could easily pulloff those killer topspin points at 5th ball attack.

I do not know how will it work with Korbel because of its springy nature.

Are you uncomfortable with MXP on both sides? Or you just feel to experiment/try gold arc 8 based on user reviews?

I feel MX-P for backhand is very good, but sometimes when I block the springiness oblige me to do a passive block because I'm afraid the ball goes away from the table. But flick, push and smash are very effective and aggressive, that's why, I was thinking about EL-P which is a very good option too but I think it's heavier than ga8

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Another vote for changing one thing at a time. If you want to keep your short spinny serve without a major technique adjustment, then I'd strongly recommend staying with h3n. So keep the rubber and change the blade. I think Korbel to Viscaria is a perfectly reasonable step up in terms of speed, but even so the feel of koto/alc is very different from limba. As Baal said, you'll need patience before regaining control of your serves and short game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dominus, can you post updated footage. The last time you posted video, out of 3 matches and footage of slow multiball with coach, you did not seem to be able to land 3 shots in a row on the table. Are you sure you are ready to play with a blade that has that much harder of a top ply.

A Viscaria is very different than the blades you have been using.

I would like to see some recent footage. But based on the last time I saw footage, I would say, stick with an an All+ blade at fastest.

This user has no status.
Maybe the thing to try is a 7 ply limba blade such as the Korbel SK7? That way it won't feel too much different from your 5 ply Korbel but still give you a speed boost. I went from the 5 ply OSP Virtuoso+ to the 7 ply Ultimate II. Same great control and feel but a notch more speed, allowing me to play mid/long distance much easier. I tried my friend's Viscaria/T05 combo and felt it to be a little bouncy and vague.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
You were a beginner last year and now want to play with a Viscaria + fast Tensor combination? Either you are the next Harimoto or you overestimate your skills.
Usually people switch to those blades with fast rubbers after years of training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The use of viscaria is not for permanent playing, do not offend but I've written just for win to the experienced players, because the speed is not enough even when my shots are well placed, I like my Korbel a lot, but sometimes I feel it lacks speed, I know about the footworking and that I should to train more, for faster and spinnier kill ball, but remember as I said just train 4 hs per week, and personally I don't find is a enough time to develop solidly whole my game. I'm not perfect and I commit many mistakes yet, I played with a viscaria with fast Arc g1 both sides two months ago and I won to guys which last year left me 11:2 so I was amazed about the blade. And the main reason is because the speed more than the spin
Another vote for changing one thing at a time. If you want to keep your short spinny serve without a major technique adjustment, then I'd strongly recommend staying with h3n. So keep the rubber and change the blade. I think Korbel to Viscaria is a perfectly reasonable step up in terms of speed, but even so the feel of koto/alc is very different from limba. As Baal said, you'll need patience before regaining control of your serves and short game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
You were a beginner last year and now want to play with a Viscaria + fast Tensor combination? Either you are the next Harimoto or you overestimate your skills.
Usually people switch to those blades with fast rubbers after years of training.

Nop, as i said above I won't stay in the off blade, least with tensor rubber, I am not stupid, I know will be uncontrollable for me, on the long shots, and I'll lose the short service, I just want to win the most experienced player which play very fast, I know the blade it's not magic and I will win just for use it, this goal I want to accomplish it in December, as a last time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I know I was a disaster last year, and I know I need too much training to be a decent player, but this year and the last are different, last year I didn't have any goal, just played for play, no intention to win, no strategy, just a way to relax after working, and I realised if i don't have any target I won't develop faster and and better techniques, but this is other topic, fortunately I can land more than 3 shots in the table (5) haha.
I really appreciate about your advice to play with a sweden extra with 2 mark V, those helped and made me get easier about the feeling and getting better the stroke, but when I play against experienced player, they can control most of my kill ball, so it becomes inoffensive, and it's very frustrating.
Dominus, can you post updated footage. The last time you posted video, out of 3 matches and footage of slow multiball with coach, you did not seem to be able to land 3 shots in a row on the table. Are you sure you are ready to play with a blade that has that much harder of a top ply.

A Viscaria is very different than the blades you have been using.

I would like to see some recent footage. But based on the last time I saw footage, I would say, stick with an an All+ blade at fastest.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is an interesting fantasy.

If the player is very good and plays at a pace that is too fast for you and you have trouble keeping the ball on the table consistently with a slow blade, playing with a blade that you cannot control....forgive me but it doesn’t seem like that would help much.

It certainly won’t help you reset faster which is the logical issue when facing someone whose pace is too fast for you. And the faster Viscaria will actually demand you reset even faster.

But, again, I would love to see some footage to mark your development and improvement.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy