Appelgren Allplay upgrade

This user has no status.
As the title suggests, I'm for an upgrade in speed to my Appelgren whist still retaining the same feel. I tried a Gewo Alvaro Robles OFF- but didn't really like the feel, it was a bit woody. Wood plies were i think Limba-Samba-Abachi-Samba-Limba.

Current rubbers Joola Rhyzm and Baracuda Big Slam.

I've been described as an attacking blocker. I tend to try loop anything long and slow on forehand including doing slow spinny loops. If the ball is faster i tend to block. On backhandi tend to push and block with the occasional loop.

Some options I'm thinking of are:-
Samsonov Alpha
Andro Temper Tech Off-
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
Donic Persson Powerplay
Sanwei Fextra

All have similarities and differences but its the feel with a bit more speed I'm after.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
If you put Samsonov Alpha to your list — I tend to think that you're not afraid to use blade with compact head size.
So why wouldn't you try Lebesson once again, as you liked it?

This user has no status.
Lebesson had weird head shape. Quite wide at the shoulders making swapping rubbers between blades near impossible.

Not sure Alpha is that compact anymore.

Stiga Azalea Offensive. Pink. Girl's blade.

I've played with Xiom offensive s, do you think Fextra would be much faster than this? I handled it ok but wouldn't wanted it to be much faster.

Last edited:
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Heyy Cobalt,

I’ve played and tried a Andro Ligna All+ blade, which is the perfect fit to your requirement.

I’m currently playing with a Adidas C300, which is also similar in composition

Limba-Ayous-Kiri-Ayous-Limba

If you want to get a newer model, there is TP.Ligna All+, this replaces the outer ply to spruce, rest is the same. http://www.schoeler-micke.de/

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
So foolish to disregard a blade because of what it looks like.
Yes, in one sense you are right however I do like my equipment, so to me it's important to have something I think looks nice.

I'd also never get the Xiom Diva. Girls blade. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My head is saying Samsonov Alpha. Waldner Senso Carbon I've always been interested in and for $30 wouldn't mind a go at the Fextra as there are good reviews. Off+ does worry me though. I'd be simply wasting my money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Of course you must like your purchase at the end of the day. Maybe there is benefit in the additional demoralization of your opponent as you send balls whizzing by them with a pink blade. :D

Reactions: Tyce

jvl

This user has no status.

jvl

This user has no status.
Mar 2016
the newer samsonov alphas have a larger head than the older (discontinued) compact sized ones. the handle in flared is very thin and the blade more head heavy than for instance the appelgren or a primorac off- (i've played with all three)

the reason i said primorac off- is because i spent a year with that after a year with the allplay. it's a perfect upgrade. a bit more stability, a bit quicker. great balance - a fantastic do-it-all off- blade for 36 EUR. pairs with all sorts of rubbers - we have top juniors using tenergy on it whilst i used rhyzm 425 and rhyzm normal. honestly, rather than going with some new blade which has only just come out, go with one of the most tried and tested, reliable off- blades on the market. you can't go wrong. and don't sweat about european vs japan vs whatever. just buy from your local butterfly distributor and have fun!!

Reactions: Cobalt765

jvl

This user has no status.

jvl

This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Exactly. Both are good I played European version. Really don’t worry which one. If you want to spend more on a blade get an osp virtuoso ;)

Seriously though, the Japanese version is meant to have a higher quality of wood veneer for the Japanese market. The versions I have seen are a lot heavier at 95g than the European ones I played with (had two each at 90-ish).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I own a Xiom Diva and it's a great 5 ply. The name is somewhat strange but the blade is solid! Not a "girlsblade"!

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
You may want to try the waldner senso carbon. I had two coming from the sweden classic (basically same as allplay). But the normal version has a wide base. Shince you mentioned that being a problem on another blade, you could go for the jo shape. It is super comfy in the hand, but of course no rubbers will fit that and anything else.

But if you are willing to sacrifice a set of rubbers, it is a really good blade. I had the same control looping with the jo shape as the ysc, only blocking took a few sessions to adjust. It's slightly faster, but only slightly. And it completely feels like all wood. The combo of carbon fleece instead of a normal weave, and the inner construction, gives it no ping or carbon feel. And it was excellent for pendulum serves, maybe because of the longer head, IDK. It's worth considering if you can live with the odd shape.