Appelgren Allplay upgrade

This user has no status.
Believe me, Fextra is not for people who just came from an all around blade. The adjustment is huge unless your level is really competition level.
Not sure what competition level is. This is me in February playing in a tournament. I'm in blue. Blade is Appelgren, forehand is Gewo Flexxon Soft 1.9mm.

A comment came out of this that I could do with something a bit faster.

https://youtu.be/xxdmh6CZcPk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I played with 3 blades from that list, the Appelgren, Persson and Waldner, can't comment on the others.

Moving from the Appelgren i think the Waldner is a safe bet. The feeling is different but they all will be as the Appelgren is very soft. The Waldner is a solid blade, with very nice control and sufficient speed if you don't stray too far from the table. The Persson is a little faster and has a little less control, the feeling would be closer to the Appelgren because it has no carbon.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
As the title suggests, I'm for an upgrade in speed to my Appelgren whist still retaining the same feel. I tried a Gewo Alvaro Robles OFF- but didn't really like the feel, it was a bit woody. Wood plies were i think Limba-Samba-Abachi-Samba-Limba.

Current rubbers Joola Rhyzm and Baracuda Big Slam.

I've been described as an attacking blocker. I tend to try loop anything long and slow on forehand including doing slow spinny loops. If the ball is faster i tend to block. On backhandi tend to push and block with the occasional loop.

Some options I'm thinking of are:-
Samsonov Alpha
Andro Temper Tech Off-
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
Donic Persson Powerplay
Sanwei Fextra

All have similarities and differences but its the feel with a bit more speed I'm after.
Allplay is such a great blade that I might consider going with a somewhat faster rubber instead.

Reactions: Beep-Beep