Pushing with gooses neck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I’ve tried playing with gooses neck,didn’t suit my style I’m not comfortable.Coach said u can have ur wrist in a straight line it depends on how u feel comfortable.Im wondering just asking this question,if u want to become world class do u have to use the gooses neck to improve fastly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I don't know looks pretty difficult to master if you ask me:

gooseneck.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I’ve tried playing with gooses neck,didn’t suit my style I’m not comfortable.Coach said u can have ur wrist in a straight line it depends on how u feel comfortable.Im wondering just asking this question,if u want to become world class do u have to use the gooses neck to improve fastly?
I think you need to understand very clearly that different strokes require different techniques. Lots of players drop their wrists when playing a forehand loop. Plus it's impossible to play a backhand banana flick without first dropping your wrist. But... when playing a forehand or backhand push it's NOT needed. In fact, trying to play a push with a "goose's neck" is very possibly a bad thing.

Have you looked at the thread https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?18196-Ultimate-table-tennis-service-return! There you will see Can Akkuzu pushing on both the forehand and the backhand. Do what he does when pushing. But do cock your wrist when playing a backhand flick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
oh ok thanks! I was practicing pushing without the gooses neck and I done well.ok so the thing is right what if I serve and they push long to forehand can u adjust ur wrist in time to loop

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Of course it's possible. Players do it all the time. I'm not quite sure why you're having trouble understanding this. Just watch a match video of Ma Long. If necessary, slow it down and watch how he adjusts for each and every stroke.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
TwinGhostKid, you are wasting your time. Go play and you will learn. Grip and wrist position will naturally adjust to different shots.

Wrist and grip are totally different for a fade loop, a straight loop and a hook. If you had to think about it, the adjustment of grip and wrist position would not happen the way it is supposed to. And if you adjust your wrist position your grip has to shift a little.

Pushing a ball with inside out sidespin will require a different wrist angle than pushing a ball with hook sidespin because it requires you touch a different part of the ball. Pushing a ball with topspin requires touching a different part of the ball than backspin so your wrist will also need to be at a slightly different angle. Add hook and inside out (fade) sidespin to top and backspin. You need to adjust to each ball. Dead balls also require you adjusting where and how you contact the ball.

Overanalyzing this stuff seems like it is making you more confused.

If the ball pops up, you touched top or dead as if it was backspin. If the ball gets pulled down towards the net or table, you did not get under the ball enough for the backspin. If the ball shoots to your left, you were too far on the outside of a hook sidespin. If the ball shoots to your right, you were too much on the inside of an inside out sidespin.

All these things happen as you play and over time; you don't even think about it; the brain processing of which spin and where to contact and how to adjust the grip and the angle, just start happening because you read the spin on the ball.

Trying to make it too conscious will mess you up because these things happen too fast for it to be consciously examined while you play. That is why you practice and do hundreds of hours of receiving serves and reading spin.

That is why, when someone is giving you a big hook loop, over time as you practice against that shot you get to be comfortable with a variety of ways to adjust to the hook loop spin. But the action happens too fast for you to try and turn it into a formula.

Practicing returning a pendulum serve thousands of times, hundreds of thousands of times, gets you used to the variety of wrist angles and contact points for the serves and spins that can come from a pendulum (fade or inside-out spin). Same thing for a reverse pendulum, hook, punch or tomahawk serve (hook sidespin). Any of those serves can be served, side, side-top, side-backspin or dead and varying degrees of any of those spins. So the actual key is practicing against each of those spins and getting used to how to touch the ball to return each spin. 1,000,000s of repetitions. And with any spin, there is always a variety of ways of returning the spin, including just smacking through the spin to knock to spin off the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and Richie
This user has no status.
Is it necessary to use waldners smash technique?
As you are Waldner's twin it is extremely important to use Waldner's smash technique for you!

If you want an honest answer: stop with all that rubbish about gooses neck, waldner's smash technique, player xyz's technique to wipe his bottom etc. Practise hard with a coach. Obviously you have a coach already so I don't understand why you have to post your questions here? Go out and ask your coach, that is what he is there for. He knows you better than 1000 users on TTD together. If you don't trust him either get another coach or rather wake up and realise that your questions are completely irrelevant. You stick at trifles that players ten times better than you probably never ever have heard of or wasted a single thought at. This is all crap. Sorry about that harsh words but seeing that people actually try to explain nonsense like that on three pages to a little kid is ridiculous.