lighter offensive setup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hi guys,

reaction time is important. thats why i consider a lighter setup.
currently my ALL+ blade weights 83 g. with my both max sponge rubbers the total setup weight is about 175g.

the lightest offensive blades i did found are Joola Air with the All+ blade is 60g. while iam a big fan of max sponge thickness, maybe less sponge with less weight might benefit my game.

i can handle heavy setups, my thinking is about improve my play. i think lighter setup will result in faster acceleration thus easier to override spin because i am an aggressive two wing lopper.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Try AK47 blue or (better) yellow.
Lightest rubbers you're likely to find that are nevertheless very fast, spinny and good.
Cheap too. 10 dollars or something.

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I can recommend Cornilleau AERO series which is tzpically bellow 75g and goes up to OFF (or even OFF+ if you count softcarbon version). I've glued for friend of mine ALL+ model with BATTLE II and Palio AK47 BLUE (both MAX of course;) and whole set-up was 156g. Very light compared to typical offensive set-up (170-190g). Just bare in mind that lighter blades have typically less power so you might comfortably try OFF- if you aim for ALL+.

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
hi guys,

reaction time is important. thats why i consider a lighter setup.
currently my ALL+ blade weights 83 g. with my both max sponge rubbers the total setup weight is about 175g.

the lightest offensive blades i did found are Joola Air with the All+ blade is 60g. while iam a big fan of max sponge thickness, maybe less sponge with less weight might benefit my game.

i can handle heavy setups, my thinking is about improve my play. i think lighter setup will result in faster acceleration thus easier to override spin because i am an aggressive two wing lopper.

TSP Black Balsa 7.0 with Vega Euro DF or Rakza 7 soft on both sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Thx for reply guys.
I don't want to change rubbers, just consider to go down from max to lower if this is more beneficial.

I just aim for a lighter blade.

Going from max to thinner rubbers will not reduce the weight so much, but will change your play giving more controll and less speed, maybe less spin too.
My personal understanding is that the extreemly light blades may be ok for AR, but are not suitable for aggressive play. You may find it difficult to control harder shots and you may feel diminished sweetspot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thx for reply guys.
I don't want to change rubbers, just consider to go down from max to lower if this is more beneficial.

I just aim for a lighter blade.

As ttpshot wrote in another thread you could also look out for japanese blades. I have a few that are very light (mostly around 78g, but the lightest weighs a little less than 60g)
The weight allows to accelerate very fast repeatedly.

Japanese tend to look for a blade with lighter dead weight while the rest of the world tend to prefer heavier blade. So if you prefer light blade, don't worry too much about it as the quality won't be affected that much according to ex-chief craftsman at Butterfly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Yea, but onesided. Two sided will be 205 gr, right? ;)

Depends on the blade. If you use something like my 10.5mm 100g blade, then you'll be swinging a hammer. But if you use a thin light blade like the Buttery Garaydia ALC Revolver, that weighs just around 55-65g, and slap rubbers on both sides you'll still be around 150g more or less.

Try to think of it.. Hey OP! Garaydia ALC also comes in shakehand grip. Maybe you can try it, it maybe a little heavier than the jpen but still be light.

Reactions: langel
Depends on the blade. If you use something like my 10.5mm 100g blade, then you'll be swinging a hammer. But if you use a thin light blade like the Buttery Garaydia ALC Revolver, that weighs just around 55-65g, and slap rubbers on both sides you'll still be around 150g more or less.

Try to think of it.. Hey OP! Garaydia ALC also comes in shakehand grip. Maybe you can try it, it maybe a little heavier than the jpen but still be light.

Yes, what I said above is just for your setup.
But what I had in mind in the previous post, is that superlight blades may experience a mass moment inertia problems in an aggressive play. If you yourself change from your 100 gr. MIT to a 60 gr. Garaydia, you would immediately feel much more preasure on your middle and ring finger /pinky under question/ if you hit the ball bellow the central blade axes. You will feel that because of your jpen grip. And your Jpen grip may provide the extra stability to eliminate the extra axial deviation, caused by the lower I /mmi/ of the superlight blade. But a shallow, or straight shakehander will have to go to a deaper and tighter grip, with all of the consequences.

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Yes, what I said above is just for your setup.
But what I had in mind in the previous post, is that superlight blades may experience a mass moment inertia problems in an aggressive play. If you yourself change from your 100 gr. MIT to a 60 gr. Garaydia, you would immediately feel much more preasure on your middle and ring finger /pinky under question/ if you hit the ball bellow the central blade axes. You will feel that because of your jpen grip. And your Jpen grip may provide the extra stability to eliminate the extra axial deviation, caused by the lower I /mmi/ of the superlight blade. But a shallow, or straight shakehander will have to go to a deaper and tighter grip, with all of the consequences.

I guess that explains why I struggle creating power when playing shakehand grip. Thank you for that technical information, I really appreciate it.:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I like light setups too. You can see mine on the left. My Stiga OC is pretty light. DHS3Neo i'd say is on the lighter side, Bluefire is on a heavier side, but I think it suits my BH. Control is really nice, you can play a close to the table soft touch game with great ball placement. Speed is adequate for playing somewhat closer to the table, but if you are farther away, you can't be lazy and use your full body to power a topspin and that requires some extra stamina.

I'd like to start playing a bit further from the table, so started thinking of upgrading my setup. But at the same time without adding a lot of weight and losing a lot of feel. So something with 5 plies again. Any ideas? Maybe Stiga Infinity, Intensity?

This user has no status.
I have a Yasaka Battle Balsa, which is plenty fast with Rakza X on it but so darn light I feel like I am going to throw my arm out when I go to loop. Plus I beat the ball there and miss a lot more with it. Therefore, I am going to "punish" the blade by taking away the Rakza rubber and replacing it with some Mk V, giving the Rakza to a more deserving bat.