Should I use long pimples?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I think we have different opinions. I play both LP and inverted styles and know exactly what issues with either. The best LP player in US probably is Jian Li (2600+) and he plays modern defensive style with majority back hand chop to superior players. To inferior players he'd play chop block, push, swipe, and long chop to confuse the opponents more. Top players using this style are Chen Weixing and Yoo See Hyuk (they used to be top 10 or 20). That is the style that I think the OP may need to explore if he is curious in LP and may have more chance to get higher rating

Chopblocker player like George Siu invested a lot of time and money to get to where he is now (~2200). See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLaQCu9-LM
I think he is a lot better than Oliver Mader (pushblocker) whose style is too lousy as Oliver doesn't know how to attack FH or BH. Better LP chop/block players examples are Ronel Davidov and Stefan Kostadinovic who rank around top 1000 and 400 respectively in the world.

Last edited:
it's easier to attack than to defend. Also powerful attack cant be defended with inverted rubber, because you dont have time to prepare the defense. Thats why you use LP. With LP, the returned ball (if executed properly) becomes slow and opponent cant attack strongly. Thats why if u want to play as a defender, using pips is a must.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is easier said than done. A LP player with 2300 rating is rare. Not impossible but rare and unstable.

Our CEO LP chopper was 2300-2350 when he was playing actively, he now plays pretty much 2-3 tourneys a year and not much locally, 2000 is tops locally.

It is easier said than done. A LP player with 2300 rating is rare. Not impossible but rare and unstable.
A LP blockers are rare period. LP choppers at 2300 are me common. Both are less common than double inverted because they are less popular with fewer coaching resources.

"Stability" is exactly how I would describe most LP choppers at that level.
Just watch Angela Guan for an example of LP stability.

Last edited:
True. I should have made it clear that chop-blocking style LP is unstable. Angela is a good example of long choping but her attack is weak. Better is Jian Li or the best LP chopper is Yoo See Hyuk who can also attack very well.
Joo Se Hyuk is the second best chopper in the world now IMO, behind Ma Te of China. Still, I love JSH.

Comparing Jian Li or Juan Liu to Angela Guan is like comparing Wei Wang or Lily Zhang to Crystal Wang. They are just different levels all together. Apples to watermelons.

Angela Guan is what is referred to as a classic chopper, where they prefer to attack seldom. It's a style choice. Classic choppers are even rarer than Modern Defenders. Evgueni Chtchetinine is an example of a high level classic chopper who made it as high as WR 47...and attacked less often than Guan! He still plays at a 2700+ level at the challenger series and I think he's in his 50s.