Seeking advice for replacing backhand Rasanter R42

This user has no status.
I focused my backhand mostly on spinny short games / opening loops and off-the-bounce soft blocks/ shots with frequent speed/placement changes. Flicks are minimal. With my current (weak) stamina/BH stroke accuracy the R47 is already too demanding that I'm actually generating less spin with it than R42 in most circumstances (even short games) aside from opening loops.

But Major issue I'm having right now is way too much BH speed due to my blade faster than even many fast blades despite its "medium-fast" rating. The slowish Joola Golden Tango suite my forehand just right but for BH even with factory boosting effect completely worn out the R42 still too fast for the blade and it's hard for me to apply more "brushing" to strokes during topspin rallies with such long arc. Definitely want a slower rubber with longer contact time (dwell time of blade is decent but not best) although the Golden Tango side felt a bit too hard (54deg sponge) and slow for my BH.
Rasant Beat would actually suit me quite well but it's now discontinued and there's a R37 instead with its sponge being too soft for Rasanter's tough topsheet thus it can't generate anywhere enough spin as Beat did (hard to believe but it's true) and ruined my life. I mean seriously andro ......

Another issue is my particular blade being too front heavy (probably the reason of its insane speed). Both my current rubbers ain't heavy at all in comparison to likes of MX-P, Omega 7 but my racket still feeling a tad too heavy for my wrist. I'm currently training 3-6days per week with at least 5 training hours for each training day, so I would rather avoid "heavy-metal” rubbers if possible.

I know I'm being picky here but any new rubbers out there that might suit my needs if money isn't an issue? I know Tenergy's weight would be ok-ish (a bit on heavy side) but tried 05 on my friend's Viscaria and it seemed that thin topsheet always requiring active strokes to keep the ball in control (not good for blocking game). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Have you considered to switch to a slower blade? if its too fast and headheavy maybe that could solve your problems.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
You may want to look into the blade. Judging from the video, it sounds really dull for a composite blade. Probably has to do with the weight. 80g is on the light side for a shakehand blade. The trajectory looks really flat even w/ T05 and T64.

Reactions: Cornerer
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
A slower blade might be an option, but you can also go for something softer/slower than R42, perhaps even with a thinner sponge.

My €.02 would be:

• 1) Consider using a slower blade
  • 2) Consider a thinner-sponged R42
  • 3) Consider a softer rubber, i.e. Rasanter R37
  • 4) Sidestep and consider an alternative slightly softer rubber - Gewo Nanoflex FT40 is hugely controllable yet spinny, Neoflexx eFT 40 looks promising
  • 5) Plenty alternatives are available - Stiga Genesis S? Butterfly T05fx?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornerer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I focused my backhand mostly on spinny short games / opening loops and off-the-bounce soft blocks/ shots with frequent speed/placement changes. Flicks are minimal. With my current (weak) stamina/BH stroke accuracy the R47 is already too demanding that I'm actually generating less spin with it than R42 in most circumstances (even short games) aside from opening loops.

But Major issue I'm having right now is way too much BH speed due to my blade faster than even many fast blades despite its "medium-fast" rating. The slowish Joola Golden Tango suite my forehand just right but for BH even with factory boosting effect completely worn out the R42 still too fast for the blade and it's hard for me to apply more "brushing" to strokes during topspin rallies with such long arc. Definitely want a slower rubber with longer contact time (dwell time of blade is decent but not best) although the Golden Tango side felt a bit too hard (54deg sponge) and slow for my BH.
Rasant Beat would actually suit me quite well but it's now discontinued and there's a R37 instead with its sponge being too soft for Rasanter's tough topsheet thus it can't generate anywhere enough spin as Beat did (hard to believe but it's true) and ruined my life. I mean seriously andro ......

Another issue is my particular blade being too front heavy (probably the reason of its insane speed). Both my current rubbers ain't heavy at all in comparison to likes of MX-P, Omega 7 but my racket still feeling a tad too heavy for my wrist. I'm currently training 3-6days per week with at least 5 training hours for each training day, so I would rather avoid "heavy-metal” rubbers if possible.

I know I'm being picky here but any new rubbers out there that might suit my needs if money isn't an issue? I know Tenergy's weight would be ok-ish (a bit on heavy side) but tried 05 on my friend's Viscaria and it seemed that thin topsheet always requiring active strokes to keep the ball in control (not good for blocking game). Thanks in advance.
You can still buy Rasant Beat on eBay. It's a great rubber. Very light yet fast. I used 2.1mm on my wood blade. But still too fast. I recommend 1.9mm if possible. Serious it's REALLY fast for such a light rubber.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
Thanks for many answers in such short time.
Regarding my blade I did come across some other (borrowed) blades and the one I enjoyed most in terms of feedback was the Viscaria which I mentioned earlier weighing at 88g. However I usually ended up having better results with lighter blades which is why I now ended up with this 80g. My previous blade was 77g and it's still wouldn't be as headheavy with the exact same rubbers on. My Valour also doesn't seem to perform anything like those in videos either, absurdly powerful with hard strokes while plenty of control in short games, also feels much closer to hardwood rather than composite. With Joola Tango on it I could also do aggressive short games plus crazy topspin/arcs, (the major issue is excessive bounciness with R42 once into topspin rallies) so I would try to at least stick with my particular Valour longer.

Didn't think about 2.0mm R42 option. Yes that should work slightly better but probably won't be enough for cutting speed to desirable levels :p

@SFF_lib I played Beat before but I would avoid using it once again as it would be hard to find any more of it sooner or later and by that time I would still have to re-adapt to another new rubber. Still thanks for info.

@yoass Didn't know Gewo has rubbers. We only have 3 models here though and Neoflex/Nanoflex isn't one of those. I'll dig deeper and see if any of those is feasible.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
@yoass Didn't know Gewo has rubbers. We only have 3 models here though and Neoflex/Nanoflex isn't one of those. I'll dig deeper and see if any of those is feasible.

Gewo has excellent rubbers by now, as has everyone that gets them made by ESN in Germany.

I didn´t think the R42 was really fast as such, but very bouncy, which results in less control (too much "own activity" of rubber compared to adjustment by stroke, for lack of better words).

Any NeoFlexx would surely fix that, since they are entry-level Tensor rubbers that you could easily give to beginners, forever saying goodbye to the trusty old Srivers and such. But coming from softer Tensor like R42/Rasant Beat I am not sure if that is what you want (see also: XIOM Vega Intro).

In theory, you should be able to find a similar rubber to Rasant Beat in the same Tensor "generation" that Rasant belongs to, which is Evolution/bluefire to name the most obvious.
I didn´t think the Beat was equal in quality and performance to the Evolution FX-P, probably one to look at, as well as FX-S (closer in sponge hardness to R42, but not as bouncy).
You may find a closer companion to the Beat in bluefire BigSlam.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for many answers in such short time.
Regarding my blade I did come across some other (borrowed) blades and the one I enjoyed most in terms of feedback was the Viscaria which I mentioned earlier weighing at 88g. However I usually ended up having better results with lighter blades which is why I now ended up with this 80g. My previous blade was 77g and it's still wouldn't be as headheavy with the exact same rubbers on. My Valour also doesn't seem to perform anything like those in videos either, absurdly powerful with hard strokes while plenty of control in short games, also feels much closer to hardwood rather than composite. With Joola Tango on it I could also do aggressive short games plus crazy topspin/arcs, (the major issue is excessive bounciness with R42 once into topspin rallies) so I would try to at least stick with my particular Valour longer.

Didn't think about 2.0mm R42 option. Yes that should work slightly better but probably won't be enough for cutting speed to desirable levels [emoji14]

@SFF_lib I played Beat before but I would avoid using it once again as it would be hard to find any more of it sooner or later and by that time I would still have to re-adapt to another new rubber. Still thanks for info.

Gewo Thunderball2 and Hype EL 40 are both very light and fast. If Beat speed is 100, EL40 would be 90 with more linearity and control. Thubderball2 would have a speed of 80 with more spin.

I have fallen in love of Gewo rubbers they are just amazing, not cheap tho.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
@Airoc
To be most specific it was the "2nd gear" of R42's sponge's catapult effect which is too easy to engage (in an abrupt way) thus creating trouble for me whenever I want the ball sink deeper into topsheet to generate more topspin in rallies.
Maybe I should've mentioned that I don't have too strict of preference with rubber/sponge hardness, but more about blocking+how good a rubber can spin the ball under various strokes aside from the obvious speed issue.
And under my hands Beat was spinnier than Evolution/Bluefire, but then Beat was nowhere as fast.

@yoass
Thunderball 2 seems discontinued from my quick research. The Hype Series (KR,XT,EL) should be Gewo's top-of-line at the moment and I've just managed to find another local shop with plenty of them at medium-low price (cheaper than Donic Bluestorm). DIdn't know this Korean brand is now quite a thing.
Comments about these rubbers seemed pretty mixed though .... kinda hard to guess these rubbers' characteristics in comparison to others.

@yogi_bear
Just read your review. I did like Xiom blades when I was hitting balls with pure blade (no rubbers). Didn't notice the Feel AX model though. The weight also seems reasonable will definitely take a look.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
DIdn't know this Korean brand is now quite a thing.
Comments about these rubbers seemed pretty mixed though .... kinda hard to guess these rubbers' characteristics in comparison to others..

What makes you think this brand is Korean?

FYI: most of their rubbers are made by ESN in Germany (just like many other companies like for instance Cornilleau, Xiom or Tibhar). So qualitywise there shouldn't be much difference to other brands.
GEWO is (just like Donic and Andro) the brand name of one of the three biggest German TT-Vendors.

Here are the three vendors and their own brands:
Schöler-Micke - Andro
Sport Schreiner - Donic
Contra - Gewo

BTW: One of my teammates also uses thunderball2. He told me you can order the thunderball2 directly from Contra.de. Just type the word in the search bar on their website.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What makes you think this brand is Korean?

FYI: most of their rubbers are made by ESN in Germany (just like many other companies like for instance Cornilleau, Xiom or Tibhar). So qualitywise there shouldn't be much difference to other brands.
GEWO is (just like Donic and Andro) the brand name of one of the three biggest German TT-Vendors.

Here are the three vendors and their own brands:
Schöler-Micke - Andro
Sport Schreiner - Donic
Contra - Gewo

BTW: One of my teammates also uses thunderball2. He told me you can order the thunderball2 directly from Contra.de. Just type the word in the search bar on their website.

Sry for the mistake i saw one of rubber models made in association with Yoo Nan Kyu(Hype KR) that's why i thought the brand's Korean.

Tried Hype EL 40.0 as EL seems to be most spin-oriented variant in Hype series. Seriously light for an inverted rubber and topsheet is pretty grippy (though not as gud as R42) but soft sponge prevented it from having competitive short games as well as the original gears it should have. Feels to me the topsheet probably wasn't being designed with soft sponge in mind to begin with.
Thankfully I knew in advance my friend needs new rubber and mine would fit on his blade so I simply sold it to him and hopefully will try 47.5deg later, or maybe nanoFlex as I've read good reviews and also available in local store.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hmmm. I checked what you needed for your backhand. Try Xiom Omega VII Europe or Stiga Mantra M 2.0mm both rubbers are good.

In my 1st post I mentioned Omega 7 would have weight issue (sorry I know it's long to read). I know that because Omega V Asia was my long-term partner on my previous blade's FH and Omega 7 weighs about the same. The weight difference between R42 and Omega is pretty huge.
Maybe I will consider it if I happen to buy your Feel AX. I'm sure Omega 7 rubbers are incredible though.

Stiga rubbers never my ally sadly :( Personally found their topsheets too slippery in general(or they require other sort of techniques I dunno). Tried Mantra M on my other friend's Carbonado 190, fast enough and definitely good control but I just can't find(or unleash) the grip/tension in topsheet. There's satisfactory spin if I really "drill" into the topsheet but compare to what I did with Omega V it's like meh.

I'm thinking Rakza 7 could be an option, too. It's not slow by any means, but it's very consistent and a blocking machine, especially in 1.8mm. Spin is great, and it is widely available.
Nice to hear. Maybe I will take a look Rakza X which is designed with new ball in mind.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Not saying it’s the holly grail or anything and You did not mention price but the gold arch 5 (and 8 for that matter) are nice rubbers at a good price. I’m not even sure what people have said about the dhs gold arch 5, But I switched from the rasanter 42 to the gold arch 5, (also a 42 and german made rubber or I think the 5 is also German made I know the 8 is) And I was quite happy with the switch. GA5 seemed more stable than rasanter 42 for me anyway while providing reliable placement with plenty of spin when performing bh topspins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Not saying it’s the holly grail or anything and You did not mention price but the gold arch 5 (and 8 for that matter) are nice rubbers at a good price. I’m not even sure what people have said about the dhs gold arch 5, But I switched from the rasanter 42 to the gold arch 5, (also a 42 and german made rubber or I think the 5 is also German made I know the 8 is) And I was quite happy with the switch. GA5 seemed more stable than rasanter 42 for me anyway while providing reliable placement with plenty of spin when performing bh topspins.
i remember playing tacky versions of Tin arcs long ago and it was decent except for its (slightly)heavy weight, and I know both gold arc and tin arc will be way out of my comfort zone in terms of weight.

I happened to come across a discounted piece of Aurus Prime and went for it as it's light as well .... its control is so good to me that I actually now using more spin-oriented strokes to try unleash more of this rubber's potential. It's by no means a pure blocking rubber but active blocking with it is fantastic to me. The catapult is a bit late so excessive speed doesn't seem to be an issue even on my blade but the speed is still there when i need it.
Thank you guys for all the suggestions :)

Last edited: