1. Top | #1
      says TTD Team Ep 3 out now!

Administrator Country: England

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,172 Times in 1,740 Posts

Ultimate table tennis service return!

Hey guys,

So we recently saw Jin Ueda's incredible return of serve. Due to its interest we thought it would be a good idea to resurface Can Akkuzu's epic version!

If you havent already seen it, or want to see it again check it out below!

2. The Following 10 Users Like TableTennisDaily's Post:

Atas Newton (07-19-2018),GusShnaps (07-20-2018),Ilia Minkin (07-17-2018),JHB (07-17-2018),langel (07-17-2018),Simas (07-19-2018),Suga D (07-17-2018),talbon (07-18-2018),tropical (07-18-2018),violoniste18 (07-18-2018)

3. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Stiga DNA Pro H 2.1 FH
      Backhand Rubber Stiga DNA Pro H 2.1 BH

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 196 Times in 133 Posts
      Wtf rubbers were on that bat ??
      Second/spare blade: Joola K7 with Tibhar Evolution MX-P (forehand) and MX-S (backhand)

4. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Christmas Island

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
      It is all about timing and contact. You have to be there very early on the bounce. Rubbers don't matter that much here. You are simply using the spin and momentum from the serve. (not to say he isn't adding quite a bit to it too.)

5. The Following 2 Users Like talbon's Post:

suds79 (07-20-2018),Suga D (07-18-2018)

6. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by talbon View Post
      It is all about timing and contact. You have to be there very early on the bounce. Rubbers don't matter that much here. You are simply using the spin and momentum from the serve. (not to say he isn't adding quite a bit to it too.)
      Maybe, but..... look at the backhand returns. His bat looks nearer to vertical than horizontal; he is putting very little "action" on the ball, if he were then the edge of his bat would be hitting the table.He appears to be doing little more than putting the bat behind the ball. He is definitely taking it near the half-volley though, I like to do that and I certainly put some backspin on the ball when I do it - I can't get it to just drop over the net though, too much catapult !

7. Top | #5
      says really love hearing Adam
      commenting but don´t
      appreciate he (probably
      unwanted) gives the word
      Dictator a positive meaning.
      There is nothing positive
      about Dictators. PERIOD!

Master TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Killton
      Forehand Rubber BH BTY Tenergy05
      Backhand Rubber FH DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 3,899 Times in 2,003 Posts
      That's mostly his touch.
      If I recall correctly then Dan was doing an Equipment review of the Cornilleau rubber that Can Akkuzu and Gauzy have been using.
      So it definitely was a non tacky rubber that was used.

8. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade TSP SWAT
      Forehand Rubber (BH) TSP Regalis Blue
      Backhand Rubber (FH) Victas VJ>07 Stiff

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 371 Times in 222 Posts
      Aye he's using Target Pro rubbers, 51 FH and 47 BH if I recall correctly from the video. But I agree with Talbon that he could probably do it with a frying pan.

Dan's face at around the 23s mark is priceless.

9. The Following 2 Users Like Ioiettino's Post:

Simas (07-19-2018),Suga D (07-18-2018)

10. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Definitely a very fine touch. Watching the slow-mo, he is hitting the ball quite near the top edge of the blade on both FH and BH. Maybe that is the secret to the amount of backspin.

11. The Following User Likes JHB's Post:

Suga D (07-19-2018)

12. Top | #8
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 198 Times in 131 Posts
      The serve needs to have a lot of back spin to start with. If the serve was a dead ball then the serve return would not have as much back spin. I don't see enough wrist action by the serve returner to generate that much back spin.

13. Top | #9
      says really love hearing Adam
      commenting but don´t
      appreciate he (probably
      unwanted) gives the word
      Dictator a positive meaning.
      There is nothing positive
      about Dictators. PERIOD!

Master TTD Member Country: Europe
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Killton
      Forehand Rubber BH BTY Tenergy05
      Backhand Rubber FH DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 3,899 Times in 2,003 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by brokenball View Post
      The serve needs to have a lot of back spin to start with. If the serve was a dead ball then the serve return would not have as much back spin. I don't see enough wrist action by the serve returner to generate that much back spin.
      That's really complimenting Dan.

Maybe he can say a word or two.

14. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 397 Times in 276 Posts
      Nah. Getting the ball to return is much easier to accomplish against a dead ball or a topspin ball. You have to know the technique. There you generate the spin or ADD to the spin which makes it incredibly spinny. With a backspin serve you have to cut against the spin, meaning it's easy to return the ball, but harder to put a lot of spin on it.
      With low-energy topspin serves and empty serves you can contact directly.

Of course it can be very deceptive. It's not at all completely about the action. Because with a heavy underspin ball you can contact the ball from the side, avoiding the backspin, and then when it gets back it still has all that spin and so it spins back and looping sideways. You dont necessarily have to put a lot of spin on it yourself.
      Last edited by Lightzy; 07-20-2018 at 02:18 AM.

15. The Following User Likes Lightzy's Post:

suds79 (07-20-2018)

16. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      @JHB. There's quite a bit of action, although it's very compact and very sharp. For the backhand return, look at where the bat starts (for instance 00:21) and stops (00:22), including its height over the table. Another example at 00:42 (everything is executed within half a second).

Imho you have to get low over the table, get to the bounce really early to (sneak under the ball and) contact the ball tangentially to the trajectory, roughly along the axis of rotation. Disclaimer: I'm not sure because I'm just a random player. I decline responsibility if this is all rubbish

If you get there late, especially after the peak of the bounce, the ball pops up or goes long. I think the ball would then contact the bat at a high angle (the trajectory is almost orthogonal to the face plane). The ball would just "hit" the bat rather than a nice feel of brushing/grazing the ball not too thinly. So the momentum is not converted into spin, or the incoming spin adds to the momentum, or whatever but the receive won't be as tight.

For a side-top serve, the bat face is kept closer to vertical, and you dig to add spin / to keep the return low; same as for a chop-block. For a (side-)heavy backspin, the bat face is closer to horizontal, or even slightly facing you.

Dan's serve seems to be generally side / side-top. You can hear that he gets good brush action. There should be a fair amount of spin from the serve, hence as brokenball said there is more backspin in the return without trying hard.
      Last edited by talbon; 07-20-2018 at 12:34 AM.

17. Top | #12
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: France

Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
      [QUOTE=talbon;237866] Imho you have to get low over the table, get to the bounce really early to (sneak under the ball and) contact the ball tangentially to the trajectory, roughly along the axis of rotation.

This seems right to me... I remember seeing an EmRatThich video where he showed someone doing exactly this, contacting the ball at right-angles to the spin and thus returning it without changing the serves spin at all.

I may be wrong too... I've tried this but it's incredibly difficult for a novice like me.

18. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      [QUOTE=CluelessTTDad;237901]
      Quote Originally Posted by talbon View Post
      Imho you have to get low over the table, get to the bounce really early to (sneak under the ball and) contact the ball tangentially to the trajectory, roughly along the axis of rotation.

This seems right to me... I remember seeing an EmRatThich video where he showed someone doing exactly this, contacting the ball at right-angles to the spin and thus returning it without changing the serves spin at all.

I may be wrong too... I've tried this but it's incredibly difficult for a novice like me.
      Umm......if Dan is serving backspin (not entirely clear but that's what I think I'm seeing) then surely to return the ball with heavy backspin means reversing Dan's spin ? If the serve is returned without changing the spin at all then it arrives back at Dan's end as topspin.

19. Top | #14
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade Gambler | Fire Dragon Fast - Penhold
      Forehand Rubber DHS | H3 Neo
      Backhand Rubber DHS | C8 Long Pips

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,147 Times in 580 Posts
      I remember it was this video and some others that changed my thinking on how to handle sidepin or even some side/top serves. I use to think you always have to attack those. And some players like topspin balls. So really you're playing right into their hands.

But then after seeing this and developing my touch, I've since learned that you can chop-block almost any type of serve if your touch is good enough. It has been a great change of pace for me in being able to now be more unpredictable as to what type of spin I'll give back to the server if I decide to attack it or push.

Not a master at it yet. But working on it.

20. The Following User Likes suds79's Post:

Lightzy (07-20-2018)

21. Top | #15
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 397 Times in 276 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by suds79 View Post
      But then after seeing this and developing my touch, I've since learned that you can chop-block almost any type of serve if your touch is good enough. It has been a great change of pace for me in being able to now be more unpredictable as to what type of spin I'll give back to the server if I decide to attack it or push.

Not a master at it yet. But working on it.
      Exactly.
      If you can chop down on an empty/topspin serve properly and put a ton of backspin on it, almost no 'club' player will have an easy time lifting it, which is also almost impossible if it's as short as Can's. Then they have to send it back short, which is also difficult because of the amount of backspin on the ball. And then you get a long ball with barely any backspin on it, and its your point.
      It's a very important skill.
      Last edited by Lightzy; 07-20-2018 at 10:47 PM.

22. The Following User Likes Lightzy's Post:

suds79 (07-20-2018)

23. Top | #16
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by JHB View Post
      Umm......if Dan is serving backspin (not entirely clear but that's what I think I'm seeing) then surely to return the ball with heavy backspin means reversing Dan's spin ? If the serve is returned without changing the spin at all then it arrives back at Dan's end as topspin.
      It is easy to tell approximately from the receive what he is serving. Side / side-top. If you look at the serve action, although the point of contact is often out of the field of view, it is also sensible. If you've seen Dan in other videos too. For instance, here: https://youtu.be/OoL8LbEjTHY?t=2m25s (good example because you're seeing it as backspin).

In the video with Can, there is no way it can be backspin when Can successfully receives with a bat almost vertical. It should go straight in the net, or touch the table before even touching the net. Also, if you turn on the volume, you can hear Can hitting the table. He would have no reason to dig downwards if it was backspin.

You don't have to return the spin as is, though. It is not unnatural to think about it that way because the archetypal example is the chop block (return heavy topspin as heavy backspin, and with inverted rubber it's sometimes the only way to do so). But chop blocks can also result in slightly floaty balls, that are looped long or popped up because of misreading them as heavy backspin. It's actually a bit unpredictable.
      Last edited by talbon; 07-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.