Penhold coaches in NYC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Do you know any coaches who play Penhold and teaches Penhold? I would like to find a coach who can teach the fundamentals and is able to explain well. The few coaches I’ve met who teach Penhold, are playing handshake themselves. So not sure if this a bad thing or not.

Just to assist in finding coaches. What do you look for when evaluating your choices and how many times do you practice with a coach on a weekly basis? I’m not aiming to be a pro player but maybe an amateur player who can win local tournaments would be a good goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
PM 42 and Back Pains - his club is NYISC and one of the coaches is high level lady PH player. Might help to learn some Chinese though.

Thank you. :/ I don’t know mandarin. I’m guessing that’s what you mean by Chinese. I could speak Cantonese. I will reach out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
There is a club in Flushing called AACCT. He ZhiWen(Juanito) is there most of the time and gives lessons (~$80/hr) from what I heard last time.

Reactions: orchid88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm in AACCT as well. I can teach you penhold (although I wouldn't recommend it). Robert (the owner of the club) has coaching me coaching kids and random old people.

I'm a 2200-2300 lefty penhold two-winged looper

EDIT: I think Robert makes you charge $35 an hour. I don't really know the details

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Thank you both. I’m in manhattan and flushing is a long way to go. Not sure how far though. Do they also charge table fee or membership?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
The gal at NY Indoor Club is Juan Liu, a 2600+ rated. She beats most guys. She plays RPB. She just won the US Nationals Women's Singles. She is a former member of China National Team. She played 9 years in China Super League. She is co owner of the club. She coaches beginners.

I am shakehand player. If I was in that area, she would be my 1st choice for a coach.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
The gal at NY Indoor Club is Juan Liu, a 2600+ rated. She beats most guys. She plays RPB. She just won the US Nationals Women's Singles. She is a former member of China National Team. She played 9 years in China Super League. She is co owner of the club. She coaches beginners.

I am shakehand player. If I was in that area, she would be my 1st choice for a coach.

Awesome. I just checked the indoor club and it looks amazing. Too bad it’s far from manhattan. I think at this rate I can’t afford the very good trainers. :( one was looking for 100$/hr and additional for the table so I can’t justify it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think a swing by Robert's club is gunna be a must-do on my next mission to NYC as well. I forgot David has grown into 2200+ over the last few years, shame on me, he has been posting in TTD all the while.

Just checked out the membership with lessons at Roberts club. Looks pretty good except for far commute from manhattan. I will check out the club in upper west side since lessons are $65/hr.

How often people practice with a coach here?

I’m wondering if anyone know any places for lessons that are affordable. Spin Nyc is a great place but membership is about $1000 and it only includes a free lesson. Then each lesson cost separately. In long run, I’m going to be broke.