Who do you think will win the Australian Open 2017?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Lee Sangsu

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Koki Niwa

• Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Hugo Calderano

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Harimoto played like crap here, even worse than last week at Korea Open. Kept popping up XX's serve.

He played out of this world at the Japan Open when his crappy FH kept landing. That's a one-off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Bravo xu xin . U r the man. Harimoto is a good player but unfortunately his game has been studied by china and most of the rivals . For sure he will have the need for chang in his game ..
changing game….of course not! Harimoto style close to the table is very good in modern TT, all he need is more accuracy, patience and experience. XX style is good enough for harimoto changing a lot from spin to speed and the other way. But as SFF wrote he is slower and predictable, that is why he is loosing a lot recently to players he did not use to loose. I am quite convinced harimoto would crush LDS 4:0.

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
changing game….of course not! Harimoto style close to the table is very good in modern TT, all he need is more accuracy, patience and experience. XX style is good enough for harimoto changing a lot from spin to speed and the other way. But as SFF wrote he is slower and predictable, that is why he is loosing a lot recently to players he did not use to loose. I am quite convinced harimoto would crush LDS 4:0.

But what if evey top player get use to his game??

This user has no status.
For sure the harimoto style of play has been studied in depth by the Chinese. Harimoto still has problems with the forehand, the power of his forehand is not yet competitive with the Chinese team. It seems he still has a "kid" game. Usually in China the boys have a style very similar to that of Harimoto because they have not yet developed the power and speed necessary to get away a little from the table and become the topspin machines. (The same thing happened with Fan Zhen Dong in 2013 at the Chinese national games, when he was almost 17 years old, he had a style very similar to that of Harimoto then over time he changed moving away from the table and playing more power loops.) Now Harimoto if he does an inside-out with his forehand he can not cover the opposite corner of the table and has serious difficulties when playing on his forehand. I wonder if he will grow and develop power, muscles and speed his style change slightly or it will remain the same. I think it will change slightly over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 5 (Sat 28 July 2018):

Men's Singles

Quarter-finals:

Liu Dingshuo 4:3 Yu Ziyang (11:9, 11:3, 5:11, 11:8, 6:11, 5:11, 11:8)
Yuya Oshima 4:2 Jeoung Youngsik (12:10, 9:11, 11:6, 8:11, 11:9, 11:6)

[5] Tomokazu Harimoto 4:2 Zhou Yu (9:11, 12:10, 10:12, 11:9, 11:5, 11:5)
[2] Xu Xin 4:0 Patrick Franziska [14] (11:7, 11:3, 11:9, 11:9)

Semi-finals:

Liu Dingshuo 4:0 Yuya Oshima (11:6, 11:5, 11:3, 11:8)
[2] Xu Xin 4:2 Tomokazu Harimoto [5] (11:5, 11:8, 9:11, 11:5, 9:11, 11:7)

Women's Singles

Quarter-finals:

[7] Ding Ning 4:0 Miu Hirano [4] (11:6, 11:6, 11:2, 11:8)
[2] Liu Shiwen 4:0 Yang Haeun (11:3, 11:7, 11:6, 11:7)

Semi-finals:

[7] Ding Ning 4:0 Kasumi Ishikawa [1] (11:8, 11:7, 11:7, 11:8)
[2] Liu Shiwen 4:2 He Zhoujia (7:11, 11:5, 11:6, 5:11, 11:6, 11:7)

Mixed Doubles

Final:

[1] Lee Sangsu/Jeon Jihee 3:2 Lim Jonghoon/Yang Haeun [4] (6:11, 11:7, 5:11, 11:8, 11:8)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
The dog left halfway through the Xu Xin match. Apparently not happy with the standard of play. The two homeless guys are staying. It seems they've struck a deal with one of the concession stand owners: all you can eat Four'NTwenty pies in return for promos on 3AW. (I don't expect that will make much sense to you, but then it doesn't make much sense to us either.)

The biggest concern we have going at the moment is that our Federal Minister for Home Affairs has got wind of a whole load of non-English speaking foreigners playing a non-true-blue, dinkum Aussie sport have arrived in an opposition-held electorate and is apparently considering instigating deportation procedures forthwith. He's a little sensitive given the number of overseas athletes who overstayed their visas after the Commonwealth Games back in April. Embarrassing that he still can't find the little blighters.

The organisers are going okay. Now that the qualifications are over, they've been able to move some of the hurricane lamps from the outer tables to courts 1 and 2. They've also hooked up a couple of our Olympic track cyclists to some big dynamos and the internet may pick up a little as a result. They had been hoping to have Richie Porte available after he crashed out of the Tour, but his team wouldn't release him. All in all (apart from the incident with the drop bear) we're pretty happy with how things are going.

Edit: Just saw the question about ticket prices. My ticket to the final is costing me less than US $24. It's not the ticket prices. It's all about hosting an event like this in a non-TT country. The only way you'd get an Australian crowd to this is if there was the possibility of a fatality. (Which is why the drop bear idea was genius. If only it hadn't turned on its handlers...)

Love to hear your correspondence too, refreshing to say the least! : ) Sorry to hear about your FM for Home Affairs ... Looks like there is no place on earth where you can find peace and break from problems (anyways Commonwealth Games, even as a root causing problems, are still fun to watch ; ) Also my Nauru "ttd home land" chosen for the sake of being far away from the civilization seems to be in the very center of the issues you write about, ironic ...

Had to catch up a little in the Australian Open topic, because yesterday we could observe the "July 2018 lunar eclipse" - couldn't missed it :)
Too bad Hari lost to Xu Xin ... I would agree that his fh is not there yet plus XX was creating a lot of pressure for him close or over the net - looks like too big for him at the moment, but it can change I think. One main advantage Hari has is his unique game intelligence and I believe he has a potential to overcame his shortcomings against XX (stil one of the 4 main pillars of the CNT) and .. Harimoto is still only 15 ...

I noticed some crowd there actually ... : ) or are thees the 147 you wrote about, paid to act as a real audience for the sake of good television? Haven't seen the dog though ... ; )

PS. We had an outstanding view on the eclipse from this nice mountain. Lots of people and great atmosphere! : )
https://www.google.pl/maps/place/Pi...40ae544287f1161!8m2!3d50.0600989!4d19.8471692