Could someone summarize this Yoo Nam-Kyu lesson about Korean Footwork/Topspin?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha ZZ, I hthink you also messaged our Korea Foreign FB page !

I am not a Korean at all, but I do translation. My belief with translation is to NOT be literal perfect translation. Often, such a translation will make zero sense. So, anyone who knows Korean, have at it - criticize me, them take Ur stab at the translation and see if English speakers make sense out of it. If you do it better, super, I salute you. maybe buy you chicken and beer if we meet on a Korean mission.

For the benefit of the forum, YNK is not showing us anything earth shattering - he is emphasizing a few fundamentals.

0 - :45 Demonstrates first the wrong over-use of shoulder and hit too far in front. The says use whole body to loop.

:45 - 2:00+ Says you should practice a drill where coach throws or hits balls away from player. Player most footwork to the ball and catch it with hitting hand right at time of impact. Toss back to coach. This practices the steps.

2:22 We teach this kind of steps to our athletes.

2:35 - 3:05 Girls hit like this (Der_Echte Comment: move to ball, but hit with little power, watch ball, then move)… This won't cut it in a men's match vs equal players.

3:15 What you gota do is hit and move, not hit, wait, move. (Der_Echte Comment: Hit and push off with hitting foot)

3:20 YNK goes into a long rant on percentages. Shows a lot of players want to hit every shot (high quality pressure) but you cannot make every shot. You lose opportunity trying to do that. If you hit 8 of 10 you will have 3:1 or better ration. Just move and play FH. if the ball is on BH and you don't have a great play, send it back (Der_Echte Comment Don't piss away the point by goinf too much for a BH if you are not good enough to do it - just make a shot that lands, stay in point and fight again) move with steps and play FH BH easily with right steps and timing.

5:10 Use 2 step footwork. Fh + BH together (Der_Echte Comment - He is meaning make good decision to play FH or BH with 2 step footwork and have a good easy transition without pressing it). Make it easy. Practice and match play content are different, it is why many do not advance.

5:20 + Be comfortable moving and hitting. Hit and move (Der_Echte Comment - Push off with hitting foot at impact or right after it using the energy from your stroke and weight transfer to save energy. Why stop and try to recreate that energy? That takes time - use the same energy you use to hit - it is easier) Use 2 step footwork.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Could you clarify the hit move technique, and how to use the build up energy? How does one push of with the foot?

Thanks alot for replying. Honestly it is endearing to see people take significant time out of their day to answer other strangers question in such a detailed manner

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Schlager talked about it in English to some kid on a vid too the first year he ran his academy.

You are pushing off with Right leg if you are right handed and use that movement to generate kinetic energy, but you also use some of it to spring back right... for example you step to a ball in your FH corner, you hit and push off with right foot same time and spring back to middle of table or BH corner. On a BH shot, you are pushing off with left foot.

All this saves a lot of time and energy. If you have to stop all your kinetic energy and regenerate it, that would take time and be a waste.

A lot of advanced players use this kind of recovery footwork, better players than me should chime in. I bet this is a real staple for Dan.