Penhold Blade with feeling close to Innerforce or Viscaria

This user has no status.
Penhold Blade with amount of ball feel and speed close to Innerforce or Viscaria

Hey guys,
I’m looking for a penhold blade that has a lot of ball feel/feedback and is around an OFF speed.

I’m a mid-distance looper who also likes to push short and BH flip near the net. I use Hurricane 3 on FH and I play reverse penhold backhand.

The Viscaria and Innerforce ZLC (original, not layer) both have the perfect amount of feel when looping and awesome speed when blocking. Unfortunately, the original Innerforce (non-layer version) isn’t sold anymore and the Viscaria’s penhold version (Taksim) is super expensive.

I would appreciate any recommendations for both all wood and carbon blades! Less expensive is of course better.

A couple blades I’ve read about but haven’t tried:
-DHS Hurricane 301
-Avalox P500
-Maybe Hurricane Hao 2 if the price drops below $100
-Nittaku acoustic or violin (read that these have best amount of feel?)
-Stiga Clipper (amount of ball feel?)

I couple blades I’ve tried for comparison:
-YEO 7 Power: good amount of feel when looping and pushing, but it’s a bit too fast when blocking
-The YEO Ma Lin, Stiga OC (newest version), Ebenholtz NCT VII: a good speed/control for blocking, but not enough feel when looping
-The Timo Boll and Fang Bo carbon are too muted in terms of ball feel when looping

Again, my main concern is the amount of *ball feel when looping* and the *control when blocking*. I don’t care if it’s carbon or all wood, 5 ply or 7 ply.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You should at least consider Gambler's Fire Dragon Touch.

They even describe it on their site as "*compares favorably to Butterfly Innerforce Layer ZLC".

I currently use this blade and it's neck & neck with my Stiga Clipper as for my all time favorite penhold blades.

Clipper was faster and I think better suited for short pip play... Which i use to do.

This blade is slower but has a good amount of flex and is really darn spiny if you ask me. Because of it's flex, I think it pairs really nice with firm sponge Chinese rubbers. I can't speak highly enough about it.

They also have a Fire Dragon Fast if you think the Touch version might be a pinch too slow.

here's the link:
https://www.zeropong.com/composite-...-shirt-p-419?zenid=5m9o2aiaf2v65svas5asdt6891

PS - if you order it, when selecting your free shirt, get a smaller size than you normally would. I'm 6'0 188 lbs and the small fits me perfectly. The medium is too baggy.

For point of reference, here I am playing with this blade with two dual inverted rubbers. Don't remember what they were at the time. Sorry.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
If you want a Viscaria like thing you could just get the Timo Boll ALC or any other Viscaria like blade from BTY. Dont play penhold, however If you want to go for better value for money the DHS H301 plays slightly loopier and is worse on the backhand for shakehand, however otherwise is very controllable and i think better for non Top 200 players.

Avalox is all wood so not Viscaria like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey guys,
I’m looking for a penhold blade that has a lot of feel/feedback and is around an OFF speed.
The Viscaria and Innerforce ZLC (original, not layer) both have the perfect amount of feel when looping and awesome speed when blocking. Unfortunately, Viscaria isn’t made in penhold and the original Innerforce (non-layer version) isn’t sold anymore.

I would appreciate any recommendations!

I’m a mid-distance looper who also likes to push short and BH flip near the net. I use Hurricane 3 on FH and I play reverse penhold backhand.

A couple blades I’ve read about but haven’t tried:
-DHS Hurricane 301
-DHS Fang Bo carbon
-Avalox P500
-Maybe Hurricane Hao 2 if the price drops below $100

For comparison:
-I’m currently using a YEO 7 Power. It has a good amount of feel when looping and pushing, but it’s a bit too fast when blocking
-The YEO Ma Lin, Stiga OC (newest version), Ebenholtz NCT VII all have a good speed/feel for blocking, but don’t have enough feel when looping
-The Timo Boll is too muted in terms of feel but has good speed

Less expensive is of course better, but all recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance for your time!
I have a Butterfly ZJK ALC penhold for sale. Its construction is exactly the same as Viscaria except the top ply is koto instead of limba.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
ZJK ALC is the blade used by Wong Chun Ting. They don't offer this blade in the American Butterfly table tennis website though.
I have a Timo ALC blade that is great with ESN rubber on the forehand, but I hated it with Chinese rubber.
I use the DHS 301 with Hurricane 3 on the forehand now.

Xu Xin's new blade "DYNASTY" has just been announced, and I am looking forward to trying it ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Viscaria is faster than your YEO. So it may be counter intuitive. but if you are just looking for similar feel:

Viscaria and Innerforce are completely different feel. For viscaria-like: Donic Baum Espirit, Xiom Stradivarius. For innerforce: Hurricane Long 5, maybe Adidas C500 (although its more innerforce ULC-like).

Reactions: ttmonster