Ma Long is the best player in the world

This user has no status.
Having seen the world championships in belgium last year ( and I know this is not up to date) ma long did not perform like the best player in the world. However, at his best he definitely is. I believe that he may be to inconsistent to be the best in the world but others may disagree. Like others have said, the ranking that ITTF do doesn't give a full perspective of who the best in the world is right now, only us humans can debate on that rather than a system that only covers the leaderboards in general over the last x months. An interesting debate though.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
For some reason chinese players are usually ranked lower but in the matches they beat the much higher ranks. I'm guessing because of where they are its hard to play many tournaments so they are usually ranked lower and probably also because top players focus on the big events like WTTC and olympics.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have no problem with Ma Long being 7th in the current system, but if there was a WTTC, say in a month time. Who would you bet your 1000$ on? Wouldn't you go with good old Ma anyway ...

I agree with this. WTTC will probably be ML vs FZD again. At some point ML will have played more than 8 World Tour events in the last 12 months. When he gets to choose top 8 results and can drop a few of the weaker performances, he will be either 1 or 2.

And notice, the WR #1 and #2 spots are CNT players. CNT has 4 of the top 10. I don't think the system favors them or the opposite. I think the system favors players who have been more active in the last 12 months. If a player had 20 events to choose from and 12 results were crappy but 8 were first place wins, that player would get a pretty high WR even if all the tournaments he won were ones were CNT did not show up. :)

So the system can be gamed a little if you play a lot of events. It will reward that. And a player's WR will be lower if they do not play as often. So, it seems that the system is doing what the ITTF intended.

And remember, when Waldner walked into the 1997 WTTC and won the singles event without dropping one game, (some people say "set") he was not ranked number one. He may have been ranked 5th or 7th. :) Nothing wrong with that.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Here is the Top 10 before the WTTC 1997 from Apr 26-May 5.

1 » 1710 KONG Linghui CHN
2 » 1709 WALDNER Jan-Ove SWE
3 » 1704 LIU Guoliang CHN
4 » 1691 SAMSONOV Vladimir BLR
5 » 1654 KIM Taek Soo KOR
6 » 1648 WANG Tao CHN
7 » 1620 DING Song CHN
8 » 1616 SAIVE Jean-Michel BEL
9 » 1588 ROSSKOPF Jorg GER
10 » 1577 PRIMORAC Zoran CRO

Waldner actually played really bad in the Team event, losing 0-2 to Jean-Philippe Saive and 0-2 to Samsonov. Nonetheless, he beat KLH 2-0 in the QF. In retrospect, people suspected he lay low for the Singles event.

KLH got taken out by Samsonov in the SF in 4 games. OTOH, LGL went through hell in the Rd of 64.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Here is the Top 10 before the WTTC 1997 from Apr 26-May 5.

1 » 1710 KONG Linghui CHN
2 » 1709 WALDNER Jan-Ove SWE
3 » 1704 LIU Guoliang CHN
4 » 1691 SAMSONOV Vladimir BLR
5 » 1654 KIM Taek Soo KOR
6 » 1648 WANG Tao CHN
7 » 1620 DING Song CHN
8 » 1616 SAIVE Jean-Michel BEL
9 » 1588 ROSSKOPF Jorg GER
10 » 1577 PRIMORAC Zoran CRO

Waldner actually played really bad in the Team event, losing 0-2 to Jean-Philippe Saive and 0-2 to Samsonov. Nonetheless, he beat KLH 2-0 in the QF. In retrospect, people suspected he lay low for the Singles event.

KLH got taken out by Samsonov in the SF in 4 games. OTOH, LGL went through hell in the Rd of 64.

how does that correlate with the topic? ur telling us ma long is laying low ? :O

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
So the system can be gamed a little if you play a lot of events. It will reward that. And a player's WR will be lower if they do not play as often. So, it seems that the system is doing what the ITTF intended.

If the system works in a way that we'll have more tournaments like the recent Japan and Korea Open, I'm all for this. It definitely created more randomness and maybe it was needed somehow to stir the CNT dominance a little ...

Btw, I really hope Ma and Xu Xin won't withdraw from Olumuniec this year ; )

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
how does that correlate with the topic? ur telling us ma long is laying low ? :O

He was responding to my statement about Waldner not being ranked number 1 before the 1997 WTTC and winning without dropping a set. In that context, it is a pretty good and comprehensive post. :) Thanks Zeio. And my memory was way off thinking Waldner was #5. :)

And my point was that some people get too wrapped up in the numbers. Ma Long can be whatever WR# he is. If he is still the best in Spring 2019, he will likely be a 3x WTTC singles champion.

Last edited:
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Pitch should be way higher than 48 - based on his form over the past 3 months. Ranking system is a bit well, confusing is the diplomatic way to put it)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That result still shocks me.