Tibhar VS Unlimited Feedback

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey everyone,

Potentially looking to change my set up - But wanted some feedback from anyone whose used this.

Firstly, I seem to have come across conflicting information - Is the VS Unlimited absolutely 100% identically to the CAA Unlimited (apart from the colour of the handle?)

Secondly - What do people think of the VS Unlimited (those who have played with it?) - Or indeed the CAA Unlimited if it's identical.

I'm a decent UK standard player - Having played with the Garaydia ZLC with T05 for the past 3 years.

Looking to take a little pace off the ball, and generate more spin (looping on both wings), and may end up going for MX-S/EL-S combo, instead of T05 this time.

Thanks in advance!

NDH

says Spin to win!
Why did you go with MX-S instead of MX-P?

A few reasons - None of which are concrete, and I may end up changing anyway! But.....

1. I wanted to increase the spin on my shots, whilst still playing a full stroke - I found that with T05, I'd occasionally punt the ball long, and with reports of MX-P being as quick/quicker than T05, I though MX-S would be the better option.

2. I've read that the factory boost effect disappears much quicker on MX-P compared with MX-S - Whilst T05 is expensive (bloody expensive), it's a false economy if I'm changing MX-P twice as often. I also like the way T05 never "falls off a cliff", whereas I've read people tend to find MX-P does (not as much info on MX-S, but it doesn't seem to be as bad).

3. I prefer a slightly higher throw angle than the MX-P offers (having used it briefly). I found the MX-S to be very similar to T05 in this respect.

I may end up hating it. I've taken a noticeable step down in pace with the blade, and changed the rubbers to something very hard (in comparison to T05). So it could be a disaster.

If you see a couple of barely used sheets of MX-S for sale next week..... You know it didn't go well!

If I don't like it, I'll try MX-P, before going back to Tenergy.

I want to slow down the overall speed, to increase my own percentage! It seems even the pro's don't use anything as fast as the Garaydia ZLC, and whilst it's taken me to new heights, I'd like to push on!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Firstly, I seem to have come across conflicting information - Is the VS Unlimited absolutely 100% identically to the CAA Unlimited (apart from the colour of the handle?)

Officially, you wouldn´t hear a "yes". With a twinkle in his eye, an expert said the difference is in "the way they glue the veneers together.", but it´s "only marginal". Make of that what you will - I think everybody who ever felt a difference between these two really wanted to feel it or had two blades with way different weights ...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

NDH

says Spin to win!
What do you mean, fall off a cliff? Bottom out?
Just wondering, but yeah that blade isn't too common, hope it goes well. You're not going crazy slow either, on paper at least...

By "fall of a cliff", I mean the MX-P is excellent straight out of the packet - Good for 2-3 weeks, but then the performance of it is perhaps 50% of when it was new (making up the figures to demonstrate what I mean).

Whereas I've found Tenergy to be a gradual decline - It's excellent out of the packet, and over a period of 3-5 months, it only slightly loses it's performance, with no obvious point at which you feel "this is now terrible".

@airoc - I did read about the gluing - Not entirely convinced by that!

I prefer the blue handle, so if it turns out to be the blade I stick with for a long time, I won't worry too much.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Just taken delivery of it!

Really impressed with the build quality - Usually I find Butterfly to be a touch above here, but this VS Unlimited is absolutely on par with them.

It doesn't have the same sense of "premium" feeling that the Garaydia did, but I've never felt a blade quite like that (almost.... shiny) - The Garaydia felt great out of the box, but didn't feel as secure in the hand due to it's smoothness (it wasn't a massive issue).

The VS Unlimited is closer to the likes of TB ALC/ZLC and other Butterfly blades of that kind.

I'll be testing it out tomorrow, so will report back then.

I had a very quick bounce test with it, and if the Garaydia with T05 was a 10 for speed, the VS Unlimited with MX-S was more like a 6/7!

Absolutely what I want right now, so looking forward to getting out there.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Just a quick update for anyone interested.

I had my first hit with the VSU last night, and I was very impressed.

Comfort was excellent - If you like Butterly straight handle blades, it is almost identical.

The "feel" was increased no end vs my previous Garaydia/T05 set up - Obviously the harder MX-S rubber will have a big impact here.

The speed was slower (which is what I wanted), and the throw angle was not quite as high as the T05.

Where it excelled was in the short attacking game - The forehand/backhand flicks were very easy, as you could play a powerful shot and not worry about it flying long.

The counter loops/hits were beautiful - You could feel the ball very nicely, and again, not have to worry about the speed/bounce of the Garydia.

It was also exceptional from mid distance attacking - There really isn't a huge amount of difference between the Garydia/T05 and VSU/MX-S when looping from mid distance - Speed and spin are similar and I was very impressed with this!

It fell down on passive shots - The kind of shots I used to be able to simply put a bat in front of, and watch the blade/rubber do the work no longer produced the same kind of shot.

You have to actively put a little more work into those passive shots, but because of that, you can produce a better return, rather than just having the ball loop back for your opponent to kill.

I'll follow up with further details after I play my next match on Monday.

Reactions: MHEK and doraemon

NDH

says Spin to win!
I think you will adapt to MX-S just fine. (and like it)

Of course, after a month, the honeymoon effect wears off with any new equipment and you see where you are at (in terms of play level) and what direction you are going... those are two important indicators to look at.

i think MX-S and T05 are incredibly interchangeable if you are a half decent player.

Difficult for for me to compare as they are on completely different blades.

I certainly think the VSU blade has a fantastic first impression.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
The guy I practice with used to play Maze (similar to Freitas, but a bit slower and... well... better haha) and now he plays VS Unlimited. I think the VS is a bit flexier and a bit easier for topspin play, a touch faster, but maybe not as forgiving in the short game. He'd probably say they're almost the same in every aspect other than the VS being a bit more flexy.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Update:

Had a couple of matches last night. Here are my takeaways.

The VSU allows you to be super aggressive on your punch blocks and short attack strokes from close to the table.

It's quick, but it's not too quick if you have good technique.

Away from the table it's fantastic - If you give it power, it'll fly - Paired with MX-S, it was super on looping strokes.

Close to the table, I've now got more punch and speed to my attacking flicks - Previously, it would be difficult to control the forehand flick because the combo of Garaydia ZLC with T05 was very bouncy.

Now, I can flick the ball hard and true, without worrying about the ball going long.

It's definitely not for someone who can't generate their own power - An older gentleman had a hit with it, and really struggled to get anything going, as he preferred a bat which did some of the hard work for him.

But for someone who has a good attacking technique, it's excellent.