says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. A couple of pieces of information:

1) NDH gets A LOT of SPIN. [emoji2]

2) NDH’s feet and hips are good.

3) NDH is doing a good job of adjusting to each ball.

4) In this video, NDH stands a little far from the table.

5) One thing Waldner once said is that to be a good, well rounded player, you should be able to play from all three distances. He went on to explain that the three distances he was referring to are: a) ball rising; b) top of the bounce; c) ball dropping after the top of the bounce. From the video, we know NDH is good at taking the ball after the top of the bounce. I have money on it that he is better at taking the ball on the rise and at the top of the bounce than he is presenting. Even if his comfort zone is the third distance.

6) I am not sure I heard NDH ask for a critique of his form. But his stroke, feet, weight transfer and adjusting to each separate ball are all pretty decent from that range.

7) I do think, if a forum member posts a video, and another forum member decides to criticize his form unbidden, that forum member should also post video of his own technique, BEFORE posting the critique.

As far as when to take the ball, I agree with Waldner. It is good to practice taking the ball on the rise, at the top, and on the way down. Each requires slightly different adjustments to the ball.

But it is cool how, when your timing and contact are good and you take the ball just before the top of the bounce, Man that gives your attacks some pop with much less effort.

Hope this info helps.

[emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: NextLevel and NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
Measured as always Carl!

I don't mind people offering feedback - Even those who might play at a lower level. I'm comfortable enough in my own ability to know what's right, and what I could improve on.

If you ask any of my team mates, it's always "Take the ball earlier.... Stop dropping back..... Be more positive".

Obviously it's hard to adjust the little things like footwork and technique when (in the UK at least), your main aim is to win matches, rather than practice specific things.

I think I said at the start of this thread, I bought the VSU with MX-S to improve my "counter top spin" ability - I was finding it much harder when using the Garaydia ZLC which was very bouncy!

We should have some kind of "video feedback" thread, where people should feel comfortable posting videos of themselves.

I have a feeling the ones who aren't are likely the ones who want to preach the CNT handbook, whilst in reality, they are no where near the relevant standard to advise - Just a guess though!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh. One more thing:

NDH: if you feel MXS is a bit hard for BH but good for FH:

What about ELS for BH.

Similar but softer. It actually should give your BH even more spin because you will get a little more of the sink->grab->distort->rebound effect that defines mechanical spin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, a simple drill, which, if you did it as 5 min of warmup before matches or with someone like the woman you are videoing with, would be an in out loop drill.

-Two loops from your comfort distance;
-Two loops from a a step closer;
-Rinse and repeat.

If you did that for a few months 5 min a day, while warming up, you would find yourself incorporating it in match play without even thinking about it. At your level, that is what would usually happen is the skill would come out in appropriate places.

A few years ago I saw a video of Primorac showing this. I cannot remember the name of the video and don’t have time to find it. But it is an excellent drill for getting used to adjusting your distance and your stroke to your distance.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Good thinking Carl - I think myself, and my team mates could all benefit from these little drills (rather than 100% match play).

It's a shame the US doesn't have a similar league structure to the UK (which I think works well).

I know we have the same convo every few years haha!

This user has no status.
I am thinking of getting the VS Unlimited myself.
I have a few concerns - is the handle big enough? You're a large guy as I am, so I guess I can use your opinion on that - are you using a ST or FL? Is it comfortable to grip? I have an issue with Butterfly blades - they have small handles and I have to strain my hand to grip them in order to have a proper amount of feel/energy transfer.
In terms of weight - how much does your VS Unlimited weigh? How much does it weigh with the MX rubbers?

Best regards,

NDH

says Spin to win!
I am thinking of getting the VS Unlimited myself.
I have a few concerns - is the handle big enough? You're a large guy as I am, so I guess I can use your opinion on that - are you using a ST or FL? Is it comfortable to grip? I have an issue with Butterfly blades - they have small handles and I have to strain my hand to grip them in order to have a proper amount of feel/energy transfer.
In terms of weight - how much does your VS Unlimited weigh? How much does it weigh with the MX rubbers?

Best regards,

Hi @Xaoc,

With the MX-S rubbers on, it weighs 188 grams - Not sure what the blade alone is (I'll weigh it next time I change rubbers).

The handle is a good width for a bigger person, but it is also longer than normal (but not too long).

When I used the TB ALC after playing with the VSU, the TB felt REALLY small!

I'm using a straight handle - It's always been my preference, but everyone differs here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Taking the ball earlier when you are taller is not easy unless you do the work to get into a low stance like a professional player. Most of us realistically lack that, and when you are over say 5 ft 8, it gets markedly harder. Taking the ball early as a looper is a short man's game.

I find it unfortunate that people are willing to write detailed critiques of other people without sharing any insight into their play.

I liked NDH's game and I think he has the right idea. Ultimately, I think he will go back to Tenergy and be fine. The truth is that camera angles can be deceiving and the speed of the game is what is really different at the pro level. Most pros don't take the ball anything close to as early as people think. But their shots and reactions are much faster. Fan Zhendong is often looping like NDH is in matches but with more power and mobility of course and getting much lower for awkward balls

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I think he will go back to Tenergy and be fine.

Hey NL! How's it going? You must know something about my financial situation that I don't haha!

On the backhand? Possibly.....

On the forehand..... Only if MX-S doesn't last as long (and it becomes a false economy).

Tenergy costs me £56.

MX-S costs me £34 - It's just too much of a saving to ignore - Especially when I'm not finding a big performance difference (I almost prefer it on the forehand).

Longevity will be key, and if I do end up changing the BH, I'll almost definitely try EL-S first (before switching back to T05).

Regarding the height thing - You are spot on. I didn't want to say it because it sounds like an excuse, and I'm sure people would be quick to point out taller players who take the ball early.

But my game (at 6ft 4) will always be different to someone who is 5ft 8 - If you target the middle third of the table, it's my worst nightmare (as it is for most tall guys - Especially when you start creeping over to that backhand/forehand crossover point).

If you go out wide, I'm in my element - Especially on the forehand.

Sadly, you can't teach "height" - So it's left to us taller players to bang the drum!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey NL! How's it going? You must know something about my financial situation that I don't haha!

On the backhand? Possibly.....

On the forehand..... Only if MX-S doesn't last as long (and it becomes a false economy).

Tenergy costs me £56.

MX-S costs me £34 - It's just too much of a saving to ignore - Especially when I'm not finding a big performance difference (I almost prefer it on the forehand).

Longevity will be key, and if I do end up changing the BH, I'll almost definitely try EL-S first (before switching back to T05).

Regarding the height thing - You are spot on. I didn't want to say it because it sounds like an excuse, and I'm sure people would be quick to point out taller players who take the ball early.

But my game (at 6ft 4) will always be different to someone who is 5ft 8 - If you target the middle third of the table, it's my worst nightmare (as it is for most tall guys - Especially when you start creeping over to that backhand/forehand crossover point).

If you go out wide, I'm in my element - Especially on the forehand.

Sadly, you can't teach "height" - So it's left to us taller players to bang the drum!

MX-S lacks the kind of rebound you need if you are used to fishing and lobbing away from the table. I would be surprised if you liked being that active on every shot but if you do, stick with it. I also prefer the arc of Omega V Asia for the same style but the effort can be discouraging. That said, if you like the effort, then it is what you need. And I don't think MX-S lasts as long given how you are pulverizing it but you may still prefer it anyways. I know people who do, but they don't fish.

NDH

says Spin to win!
My goal is to give up the hobby of fishing...... Despite it being fun, it's not conducive to wins!

My plan this season is to attack, counter, and stay a metre or so away from the table - No more.

The times I've dropped back with MX-S these past weeks, I've ended up producing a nothing shot due to the lack of rebound (as you rightly said).

But, if MX-S doesn't last - It's back to T05 (or maybe some others if I have the budget to try!).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Personally I found the vs unlimited very fast, strange to read you thought it was slower than your previous blade!
I agree about trying els or even elp as I think your technique would suit it. For me I actually find the els faster than mxp because my technique just doesn’t seem to work with the harder rubber, so even though they’re faster that’s not the case for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

says Hi TT Comunity!
I Agree with you NDH in all you said, i also want to add something to your info, i have used this Blade since January something, and for me it is a little bit difficult to control blocking inside of the table but to me it is a challenge because it is too fast, but i am planing to practice more to see if i ever get to control it in all circumstances.

Guys this is a real fast blade!