Video of a session from me!

This user has no status.
Hey guys! It took a little bit but I finally got some videos of me playing. I switched out of tenergy 05 and opted for a DHS H3 Neo (unboosted). Wasn't super confident for loops and smashes at the start but as we started playing more I started to get more confident. I like the rubber. Definitely requires more sweet spot accuracy imo but I'm getting a feel for it.

I'm unrated and think I'd like to know where you guys would estimate my rating. Bear in mind I started playing *seriously* around late January / early February. I've never done a coaching session either, but that is definitely gonna change in the future. I'm trying to get into a USATT tournament this weekend but I might be a little late for the sign up.

As always, very open for critique in footwork / form / etc. Thanks for watching!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I like the completely hidden service ball toss :)

Screenshot at 2018-08-07 17-01-29.jpg

But fun aside, your service seems to be somewhat spiny, although they looked to similar and too little variation in spin. But still good for someone who's only been playing for a few months!

Try to stop jumping when you topspin with your forehand though as your wasting energy by jumping:
Screenshot at 2018-08-07 17-12-45.jpg

I'll skip discussion if your equipment choice is way too fast, stiff, hard as I'm probably also playing with stuff that's too fast, stiff, hard for my level :rolleyes:

The most important thing is to have fun and if you have fun with your equipment and your future coach doesn't refuse to coach you because of your equipment choice then by all means keep on playing with what you're playing!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thank you very much! I don't know why but I have a hard time staying planted. I will focus on that more.

I'm guessing the hidden ball toss is illegal? My partner didn't say anything about it! Woops :eek: I won't do that anymore :cool:

I built another setup with a slightly slower blade (according to the reviews anyway). It is a Sanwei Pro V5. For rubbers I kept it relatively similar...DHS H3 Neo and DHS TG Skyline Neo.

I doubt I'll get refused for coaching because I live in the bay area so they can probably mark up prices a lot, and it seems like rates are pretty high out here :p It's about 70 an hour at my club, but maybe that's normal....

NDH

says Spin to win!
Doing well buddy!

Just keep practicing as much as you can.

I'd say the investment in coaching early on, will be the most valuable thing you can do.

Once you've got the mechanics right (before you fall into too many bad habits), you'll be well on your way to improving.

Good luck!

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You go to the private message area and address your pm to ttmonster, that is the spelling of his name...

You could also click on his name in posts he makes to bring up his profile and click on private message.

You could also go into the Pokemon Go Server and plug in false coordinates for a brand new long 6 with H3 and T05 at a location of your choice. ttmonster and the Goon Squad are assured to shortly follow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Steh TT and NDH showin' two great ways to cause trouble.

One keeps it real and light, and one is encouraging.

brossia, if you don't wanna pay 80 bucks an hour for lessons, get with ttmonster and he'll coach you for an hour if you buy him Korean BBQ... that is a great deal as Korean will max out at 25 or 30 bucks for a feast. ttmonster knows how to articulate fundamentals to adults.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Der_Echte is back to his troublemaking ways :p ...
Steh TT and NDH showin' two great ways to cause trouble.

One keeps it real and light, and one is encouraging.

brossia, if you don't wanna pay 80 bucks an hour for lessons, get with ttmonster and he'll coach you for an hour if you buy him Korean BBQ... that is a great deal as Korean will max out at 25 or 30 bucks for a feast. ttmonster knows how to articulate fundamentals to adults.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Der_Echte is back to his troublemaking ways :p ...

Especially since I am sure I could spend triple what Der claims if I go to Korean BBQ.

But my money says brossiah would certainly benefit from hitting with the Monster.

And brossiah, yeah, on the toss, the ball is not supposed to go lower then the top of the table. It has to be visible at all times. It may be tricky to correct that. But there are ways of doing it.

malongserving2013.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

What Ma Long is doing in these two photos is, his forearm is lightly resting on the top of the table. And his forearm is angled back so the ball is behind the end line (that is another rule:) ). As a result, there is no way he could drop his arm below the table because most of his arm is above the table. :)

And I agree. Keep playing and having fun.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Brossiah,

You gotta do a USATT sanctioned tourney to get a rating, so this would be a good chance. Some Bay Area players show up too.

You must know that in any singles event, except for the Open, you might not be able to advance out of group stage, even if you win your group. Why? If you were un-rated, entered U1200 event (but were playing 1800 level), won group, and went on to crush the field, it wouldn't be fair.

USATT will use a magic drunk formula to figure out your initial rating... fight for every point, they all count.

You might be able to get on a team, look at the team finder on Omnipong, which is the site you use to register. You don't have to be a USATT member yet, you could fill out all the paperwork at the tourney, or you could do it online tonite.

I know the Tourney Director, he will get you into an event, just register if you are of a mind.

If you do not know what I look like, just ask around for the Trouble Maker, some one will point me out to you. Be careful, there will be THREE of us wearing Trouble Maker uniforms, maybe more if ttmonster shows up wearing his, might be others, I like to make teams called that wherever I can.

Pic below is ttmonster and I from Swan CLC 2017 season.

TM-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Im also fairly new , just started trying to play the proper way the beginning of july. Kinda cool seeing someone taking the same TT journey as you ,thats living in the same area. Which club is that btw? Ive gone to the one in Alameda, Berkeley, SunnyVale and Pleasanton so far, Each one has a different court surface, Kinda like the 4 major tennis opens.
Anyways the table tennis community is great, makes me wish I found this hobby sooner. Ive had an old chinese sensei hit with me /block for 3+ hours each time I went somewhere, free coaching value! Last time I went to the swan, it was almost 1 am before we shut down haha.
Theres 3 community centers/senior centers within 1 mile of me that have table tennis, It would be amazing if i could use their facilities somehow , their drop in fees are super low 1 to 2 dollars but they might be for 50+ only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Anyways the table tennis community is great, makes me wish I found this hobby sooner. Ive had an old chinese sensei hit with me /block for 3+ hours each time I went somewhere, free coaching value! Last time I went to the swan, it was almost 1 am before we shut down haha.
Theres 3 community centers/senior centers within 1 mile of me that have table tennis, It would be amazing if i could use their facilities somehow , their drop in fees are super low 1 to 2 dollars but they might be for 50+ only.

Welcome to the great community :)
Not only the community is great, but the sport is as well: -it can be enjoyed by recreational players and at the same time it's difficult sport if you want to dive deeper into it, it's not traumatic, it's inexpensive, and the best part it's a sport for the whole life- it is extremely age independent -you can play it as long as you want and when you get old you can still beat the crap of some agile twenty-year-old players