Why is there so much spam on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Just trying to get my head around why there is such an incredible amount of spam turning up each day. Why don't other forums get the same amount of junk? I know ooakforum went through a similar onslaught some years back - want to buy a kitchen, anyone? - but it appears they've managed to find some sort of solution that reduces the junk. Why not here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Probably old forum software without spam protection and too easy for bots to pass registration.

This user has no status.
Why don't other forums get the same amount of junk?
EVERY single forum of a decent size has to deal with spam attacks. Not just TTD. If users get confronted with that spam or not is a question of anti-spam measures and the activity of moderators.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It showing up after 800 am, maybe before, don't understand why monitors leave it on the board for 2-4 hours.

what 8am are you talking about?
we all from different time zones....unless you are taking US time as "world time"? lol

any ways, don't blame the mods, they doing a lot already, last thing we want is a volunteer to quit because of unnecessary backfire from forum members

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There could be a timeout after making a post that limits how often someone can post. This would require the spammer to waste time waiting to post again. For most of us this wouldn't be a problem because it takes more than 10 minutes to write a thoughtful post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I spend a lot of time at MyTT deleting spam messages.
For which, you and the other mods have my eternal gratitude. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, and if it takes a little time to fix then that's entirely understandable. I only posted in the first instance because I couldn't see any response to numerous posts and numerous spam reports.

Is reporting spam useful? Whenever I come across a new spam post, I follow the procedure for reporting, hoping that is helpful. If it's not, I'll just ignore them in future.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
For which, you and the other mods have my eternal gratitude. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, and if it takes a little time to fix then that's entirely understandable. I only posted in the first instance because I couldn't see any response to numerous posts and numerous spam reports.

Is reporting spam useful? Whenever I come across a new spam post, I follow the procedure for reporting, hoping that is helpful. If it's not, I'll just ignore them in future.

One's ability to do it does depend on what other things are going on and frankly, at a certain point, my desire to even bother with it. Sometimes I am not around for a few days because to be honest I have largely run out of things I care to say about table tennis. These days I pretty much never try new equipment, I have settled on the balls I like, and I don't follow every tournament in real time. I just go play. My playing level is set in terms of skill sets and depends almost entirely on my fitness level, to which end I ride my bike about 150 miles per week. That improves my fitness incredibly. It also kind of counterproductively leaves less time to play and even less to delete spam, post here or there etc. etc. and still have a job and home life.

One thing for sure that helps me at MyTT is when people report spam. It works here too I am sure but maybe the response is not as fast as before.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

One thing for sure that helps me at MyTT is when people report spam. It works here too I am sure but maybe the response is not as fast as before.

I will agree with everything Baal has just said.

Keep reporting spam. I used to be on here much more when my wife was still alive. As taking care of my kid alone has become more complex and more all encompassing, my time on the forum has dropped significantly.

Actually, about 90% of my time on the forum is spent deleting spam these days.

And this morning I just found something interesting out. There was spam I could see from TapaTalk that I could not see from my Outlook Browser.

But the best way to ensure that spam gets seen and deleted is to keep reporting it.

If the moderation team takes a while to get to it, it is because we are unable to get on the site at that moment. Like, when I am working with a client or teaching a class, I cannot clean spam. I think Dan would have a tough time cleaning spam while coaching as well. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey guys, thanks for all your messages, I agree with you to Baal, if anyone does see Spam please report, it helps as the developer, mods and myself get email notifications.

I have been working hard the last few weeks to have all this spam situation cleared up. We are almost getting to the bottom of it all, you should see a lot less spam now. But some spam bots are still getting through, as spam bots get more and more advanced its becoming tough, but we are using some clever methods to stop them getting through as some have already mentioned here on the site.

Thanks to everyone for being patient and Carl you're a star for helping remove the spam as soon as you can.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey guys, thanks for all your messages, I agree with you to Baal, if anyone does see Spam please report, it helps as the developer, mods and myself get email notifications.

I have been working hard the last few weeks to have all this spam situation cleared up. We are almost getting to the bottom of it all, you should see a lot less spam now. But some spam bots are still getting through, as spam bots get more and more advanced its becoming tough, but we are using some clever methods to stop them getting through as some have already mentioned here on the site.

Thanks to everyone for being patient and Carl you're a star for helping remove the spam as soon as you can.

Yep. It is a team effort and if there are the reports, the moderator team gets the notifications via email as Dan said. So, when I am going from one job to the next, if I see that, I go on and delete. I am sure Dan does the same.

Reactions: Dan and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Good to know that you all get emails when we report spam, I haven even messaged Carl / Dan / TTD on facebook thinking may be the report spam feature is not working :eek: ... heartfelt gratitude to you guys for doing the thankless job you guys do to helps us keep having the wonderful experience we have on this site ... we are an impatient lot so thanks for bearing with us

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yep. It is a team effort and if there are the reports, the moderator team gets the notifications via email as Dan said. So, when I am going from one job to the next, if I see that, I go on and delete. I am sure Dan does the same.

Exactly that Carl :) Superb! Thanks again for your fantastic help!

Good to know that you all get emails when we report spam, I haven even messaged Carl / Dan / TTD on facebook thinking may be the report spam feature is not working :eek: ... heartfelt gratitude to you guys for doing the thankless job you guys do to helps us keep having the wonderful experience we have on this site ... we are an impatient lot so thanks for bearing with us

Hey ttmonster, yes they all come through and thank you very much for reporting them it helps a lot. Our goal is to try and make TTD completely spam free, perhaps 1 or 2 every now and then but the goal right now is to make it fully secure.

We are also working on a whole new design and new functions to the website which I think will be exciting for us all!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Exactly that Carl :) Superb! Thanks again for your fantastic help!

Hey ttmonster, yes they all come through and thank you very much for reporting them it helps a lot. Our goal is to try and make TTD completely spam free, perhaps 1 or 2 every now and then but the goal right now is to make it fully secure.

We are also working on a whole new design and new functions to the website which I think will be exciting for us all!

I heard Dan is working with Der_Echte to make a feature on my NSA SpyPhone so that, whenever spam appears, I can press a button and it causes the Moscow goon squad spammers to chase Pikachu, carrying a stack of authentic, fake H3 National, to the nearest trap door into the sceptic tank so we get the spam and the spammers too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Now you have unleashed the Kraken !!!
I heard Dan is working with Der_Echte to make a feature on my NSA SpyPhone so that, whenever spam appears, I can press a button and it causes the Moscow goon squad spammers to chase Pikachu, carrying a stack of authentic, fake H3 National, to the nearest trap door into the sceptic tank so we get the spam and the spammers too. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Haha freekin' triple haha haha hahahahahaha…

Carl has a multitude of diversion tactics that the Goonies are simply to simple-minded to overcome.

I wonder where from and when he got hiz bad-azz NSA equipment...