Waldner interview!!

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
THE INTERVIEW IS TOO LONG, SO I POSTED IT IN 2 PARTS. Harrybelafonte, this will knock your socks off!! heheheh

Waldner01.JPG

Q:Which player did you think of as and Potential problem before playing HIM?
Liu Guoliang penhold and very good serve and was very good allround. For a time I feared Him the most, But once I found out how to play Liu, Lin Ma Became The Toughest Opponent.

Q:A few classic penholders Have Played in Sweden over the years, among others An Shu, Huang Dawei, Chen Jian and Wang Jianfeng. Do you feel anything out of the ordinary Them When playing and what do you think of Them as players?
Actually I do not have Any Particular thoughts on Any of Them. Out of the ones you mentioned, Wang Jianfeng was quite Clearly the best. If you compare the best Europeans with the best Chinese, what do you think is the greatest difference When It Comes to: Technique: The Europeans Have Better basic stroke technique and are more imaginative, ie They Have more options for Any Given Ball, But It Is Difficult's generalis. The Chinese are more robot-like and limit options for each loop Their ball, But They Have much better rallying techniques, something They really excel at. Tactics: The Chinese are much better and are better Prepared at Applying Tactics During matches. They Have a Very Competent coaches and trainers. Looking at the Europeans, only the Swedese CAN compare to the Chinese in this Respect. Training: The Chinese Practice So Much More Than Europeans to fly from and Younger Age. That is The Biggest difference. At the very top, all elite players Practice Extremely hard, But The Chinese begin quantity tough training from an Earlier age.

Q:Was there a lower ranked player Whom do you feared a bit more despite lower overall HIS abilities?
Well, nobody in Particular.

Q:I'll rephrase that. Was there was a specific style of play hide Which Particular problems?
I do not want to give away too much, But really good backhand players, like Andrey Mazunov, Sometimes Could cause me more trouble Than Would Be EXPECTED considering Their level of play.

Q:In 2004 you lost the Olympic Semifinal Ryu Seung Min is due a lower quality service returns. That match before you had beaten players with much better serves Than HIM, Ma Lin and Liu Guoliang, for exaqmple. What was with Difficult with Ryu's serves?
First I'd like to point out That Ma Lin's serve was not good Especially at first. He sat down and serve Stabbing with the only variations being backspin and no spin, That is all. But that answer your question, I did not play Ryu and was very Often Not Enough Familiar with serves, I struggled with. Apart from That, we must not forget the supreme form he was in at the time. He hit the ball hard and was Extremely moving Superfast.

Q:We mentioned Ma Lin, Which Were HIS strengths and weaknesses According to you?
His forehand was very, very good, his penhold and phenomenal returns and at the time he was very fast. He is not as fast today, But he is still pretty quick. His main weaknesses are HIS relative sensitivity of a spin and he That with the poor against straight attacks.

Q:You are Recognised as being very good against Defenders. What Would Happen If You Played Joo Se Hyuk today?
If the match was Played best of five, I would win. If it was the best of seven, Joo Would win.

Q:Who is the best defender in the world at the moment?
Wang Xi, my team mate in Fulda. Just check out HIS stats for this season in the German League. Personally, I have only 50/50 stats on HIM in Practice. Joo Se Hyuk is the second best defender Wang Xi's.

Q:Which of your opponents Have underachieved relative's capacity and talent?
Primmen (Zoran Primorac) comes this mind Immediately if you think about Those Who Have not won anything. He really should Have won something as good as he was for a while During HIS career. Andrzej Grubba Also incredible was good, but did not win a major title. If you are thinking of talented underachievers, I think Magnus Molin Has squandered a lot of HIS talent. He Could Have Become very, very good.

Q:Which player is well worth watching According to you?
It was Klampar in the trap. He was simply incredible watch it with a forehand That And His Extraordinary ball contact. Of the current players, I think Kalinikos Kreanga is very Entertaining this watch.

Q:And once you Asked to list the all-time best players in the world. You gave me this list: first Jan-Ove Waldner second Kong Linghui third Guo Yuehua fourth Wang Liqin fifth Liu Guoliang
Hahaha ... Did I really put myself at the top? Does not look good, does it? Will people think I am with Arrogant. Yes, you did put yourself Actually at the top. Yes ... But it is true, though, is not it? Haha.

Q:Who Would You add to the list in positions 6-10?
Oh, this Will Be Hard. I WOULD probably add the Following: 6th Jiang Jialiang; 7th Jörgen Persson; 8th Wang Hao. After That Becomes it's too hard pick and choose.

Q:Well Europeans? Jean-Michel Saive? Tibor Klampar? Jean-Philippe Gatien? Well, none of Them. Saive and Klampar did not Even Win Any Major titles. How about some of the older ones?
Well. It does not feel right to add Barna, Ogimura or Bergmann. They Played too long ago and it was a Completely Different game back then.

Q:You Will Have not Settle for eight players on my list. All players on your list are not entirely contemporary. None in the top five and Have won title after the 2005th Why are none of the Younger ones on your list?
the Younger ones Enough Have not achieved yet. It is as simple as that.

Q:I will now ask that you design the ultimate player. I have listed a number of Strokes and qualities below. Pick the player you think is Outstanding for each loop of the thesis and we Will see what we end up with.
Forehand loop, opening: Ma Lin; forehand loop, in open play: Wang Liqin; forehand flick: Damien Eloi, That was a bit unexpected, wasn 't it? backhand loop: Rosskopf, particularly against backspin. Otherwise Kreanga; backhand flick: Wang Hao, over the table. It was unreal; Defensive play: Vladimir Samsonov; Footwork: Ryu Seung Min; Ball sense Mikael Appelgren; Reading the game: Jan-Ove Waldner; Tactics: Jan-Ove Waldner; Serve: Liu Guoliang; Returns: Jörgen Persson Physique Christophe Legout; Attitude Wang Liqin;..

*This was the first part. The second part Will Follow Later he and Will it deal about equipment and some related questions like the changing of tt-rules in the near future. The first question about you with what Often equipment you use.

dsc_0126_waldner_olympic_2004_1231_large.jpg

Photos by: Kazuyuki Takahashi

Q:So, what do you use rubbers These Days?
Coppa JO Gold on a forehand and Coppa JO Platin on the backhand.

Q:Which blades do you play with? Right now I use Waldner Senso Carbon. How important is the equipment for you? It is naturally very important and I Have always good stuff to play with. Do you try out a lot of blades and rubbers to find the best match for you?
Well, not really. I know what I want and I am happy When I have that. Jörgen Persson tries out a lot more equipment Than I do, for example.

Q:So You Have Never Been an EJ?
Well, never.

Q:Have you changed a lot of equipment since the ban speedglue?
Well, Not Really, But The rubbers themselves Have Changed a lot. However, I will try out a new blade faster now and I guess That is the closest I am to change these days.

Q:What kind of equipment did you use seuraavilla During the Championships? in 1989 1992, 1997 and 2000?
I really do not remember. As I said, I was never really into equipment.

Q:What are your thoughts on long pips and anti players? What are pros and cons Their?
It is hard not Become good with it as an anti - per definition - Makes it hard to add spin to the ball. Long pips suit Defenders very well though. In Spite of That it is very hard not Become A really good defender theses days. It is no longer Enough to Be good defensively, Will you need a very good offensive game as well. That Means That It Become A really good modern defender, you Will Have a Practice Twice as much. If you look at Wang Xi, our defender in the Fulda team, I am sure he Would Be in the World Top 50 if he Played a purely offensive game.

Q:In the 1989 World Team final you Played with the Chinese team of Chen Longcan, Teng Yi and Jiang Jialiang. Did all the Swedes speedglue at That Time? Yes, we all did. Did the Chinese as well?
Yi Deng did. Of That I Am Almost Certain. I am less sure about The Other Two, But I Think They did. After all, Both Chen and Jiang Jialiang Longcan Were traditional penholders.

* After opponents and equipment related questions we move on the rules and changes to the game. What do you think about the ban booster?
It is OK.

Q:Is boosting common among the world players?
I do not know.

Q:These two answers SEEM to come more from the Diplomat Waldner; than Waldner the Private Person, right?
Well, you CAN put it like that if you want.

Q:How do you feel about the ban of frictionless pimples?
It is wrong and eradicate this style of play in this way. It Would Have Been Different rubbers the snake still been The Same Colour on Both Sides, But as it is now it is just and Daft ban. (I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS GUYS)???;)

Q:How Have The New Rules Affected You Personally? No hidden serves:
A small negative change for me, But I think I have adapted pretty well. 40 mm Ball: I think it's ice Has less spin and less Entertaining table tennis. More players play with less imagination and more like robots theses days. Sets to 11 instead of 21: Perfectly fine. Ban on speedgluing: Speedgluing Have Been Allowed should it continue Providing it was harmless.

Q:As things stand now, we face problems we did not deal with it Have Previously, droughts, and the disqualifications of Wang Liqin, Adrian Crisan and Petr Korbel. 'll cut in here. What is your view on Wang Liqin's recent disqualification?
It is perfectly fine to me, when someone uses illegal equipment. Everybody knows the rules.

Q Does this Affect your esteem for HIM?
No, not at all.

Q:Back to rule changes, how did They Affect You? Negatively or Positively?
I can not say I was Affected More than anyone else, with the balance things stayed pretty much the same.

Q:In what way Has the game changed During your career? I am not thinking about rules now, But Rather how the actual Play Has Evolved.
The Game Has Become flies faster. Also, we see more robot-like players thesis Fewer Days and styles of play.

Q:Are These changes caused by equipment or training methods?
They are connected and Consequences of Each Other. When the equipment Becomes faster, the players must Become Stronger and faster. Evolution is inevitable. All you need is to look at it with the way I Played In The Beginning Of The 80's as opposed to the end of the 80's. Or compare the play today with That of one year ago. The Differences are quite big and this shows the natural progression When equipment and training Develop methods.

Q:What Would you like a change in table tennis?
I want more big competitions and Serious or better Pro Tour competitions, for example. They Have not really stagnated and Evolved for a long time. The Developments on the web and on TV is a good thing, But it Could Be Even Better. The situation in China Is Better Than anywhere else, in this Respect.

Last edited:
Mar 2011
jan_ove_waldner.jpg

*Let's Have a look at some rule changes. I'll suggest some and you comment briefly on Them.
A larger ball?

Bad.

Q:Higher net?
Bad.

Q:A larger table?
Bad. I think there Has been too many changes recently. Changes make it hard for non-table tennis players outside that follow what is going on. Apart from That, the changes you mentioned above, Would carry huge development Costs for Manufacturers, They Will Have Costs push it onto the players and clubs. Furthermore, I believe the above changes lead Will not Even less, styles of play and more robot-like players.

Q:What are your thoughts on two players per nation in the Olympics and at the Worlds?
It is useless. The very best players should play. If a Certain Country is the best, then with it Be. Let the others catch up the work instead.

* Third part: A lot of people wonder how Waldner Has developed HIS style of play And His abilities that read the game. Some questions touch on HIS tactical sense. After this we Spent some time discussing Swedish and European table tennis compared the Chinese table tennis - always an interesting and current subject. All in a three part .. Another big subject Which raises a lot of questions, Is that of Waldner's career.

Q:Which is your Biggest success?
The Barcelona Olympics in the 1992nd I was the only Swede to win gold there and the media interest was phenomenal. The Olympics is the ultimate title, The Biggest Thing You Can Win and I snake Prepared for drought and for long time That tournament.

Q:What are your best weapon in your table tennis career?
My attitude to the sport. I love table tennis.

Q:Which match was your most fun of all time?
Oh, there are so many. I can not think of Any Particular one right now.

Q:Which match was your all-time best? The One Where EVERYTHING worked?
It was the quarterfinal and Semifinal in New Delhi in 1987 Where I Played Chen and Teng Yi Longcan. I Had been sick in the singles before the semis and I missed the final Team Because Of That, But Were These two matches easily the best I have ever Played.

Q:Which was your heaviest loss?
There are so many, haha! But Perhaps that Ma Lin in the Semifinal in Eindhoven in the 1999, he was leading 2-0 and 16-11 in the third. I am Pleased with the match. That was a really heavy lost for me.

Q:Which was the hardest time of your career?
It was after I injured my foot in the 2002nd I Could not play for long time.

Q:Were you ever close to quitting, and table tennis and youth?
Well, I was never going to quit. (Waldner says this without hesitation or a hint of a smile. A sign of determination and HIS Will Power.)

Q Did you always want to Be the best in the world?
Yes. (Same thing. Not a hint of a smile.)

Q:What was your main driving force? Winning? Competing? The perfect match?
It was the actual Competing. I love it and I compte compte at everything all the time.

Q:How do you MOTIVATE yourself theses days?
I play with a few matches These Days That it's no problem with focus. It HELPS to play in a good form and playing for fun. Apart from this, I Do Not Practice as much as I used it But it keep it very simple, it all boils down to my love for this sport.

Q:When Will you quit?
I'll stay one more year in Fulda. After That we'll see.

Q:Will you play in Pingisligan (the Highest Swedish league) before you quit?
Most likely, But at this point in time it is too big a difference. There are too few spectators and the Organisation are poor here compared with that in Germany.

Q Do you aspire to Be a trainer or coach?
Not yet. But if this Happened, I am more likely it Become a match coach than a trainer. I prefer the match setting and strategy.

Q:What Will you do When you quit, and table tennis and player?
I will continue within The table tennis, But I Do not know with what Exactly. Perhaps as a coach or working for a manufacturer.

Q Do you regret anything in your career?
Well, I Am Not That Kind of person.

Q:How Would You Rank today on the World Ranking?
Around 50th

Q:Will you ever take part in World Championships for Veterans or Similar? I do not think that You won the Swedish Championships in 2006, but did not take part in the Worlds. Why?
I decided not to go for the win. My back is too weak these days for the kind of Effort and World Championship bid Requires. I know that, and decided to opt out.

Q:Why did you fail it appear at the U.S. Open in 1997?
The Organisation was Frankly Lousã and a lot of players left. Because I left I wanted to show That the arrangement was simply too poor. Sometimes you do have do that. I WOULD HAVE liked to play the actual competition though, But it did not turn out like that. Do you loose more close matches now Than before? If with, why? Yes, I lose more close matches These Days. It is less Consequence of playing matches. You simply loosen the mental and physical match fitness. That is the reason I look forward Safir's International and the Swedish Championships. It is good fun this competition.

Q:How hard the table tennis players train compared it Other sports? Compare with bowling, some say WHERE You Can Be Good without really training hard.
All sports require hard training. Everybody trains hard, But it is natural That some endurance sports require more time Than Other sports to. But that answer your question, I'd Say That all elite level table tennis players are very, very fit and Have always trained very hard. Being a table tennis player it is very important to Be properly fit and trim in To Be Able Maintain It the required concentration levels of table tennis. Naturally, the shape is in your body affects Other parts of the game as well.

* Let's cover a few personal questions. I have left out most of the ones not related to table tennis. This interview is about table tennis and not for a tabloid.

4554911_f496.jpg

Why did not you get a driving license?
I was just about to complete it. I done the test and Able to drive, But missed the Theoretical test. In the end the whole thing sort of fizzled out.

Q:Who is the greatest talent in Sweden right now?
Mikael Appelgren, hahaha ... Well, That is not too tough of a question. We have many good ones. Franzén..

Q:What about Alexander And His Prospects for the Future?
He looks very good and it is great That He Is Competing internationally. It Will Be Good fun to see HIM play doubles with Jörgen Persson at the Swedish Championships. (The pair eventually reached the Semifinals).

Q Do you have Any Obsessions When you play table tennis? Well. What makes you nervous When you play?
I do not think like that. I am positive all the time. If you focus and work on the next point and try to win it, you will not Be nervous.

Q:If you hadn't Played table tennis, what Would you have done instead?
I WOULD HAVE Played football, tennis or Some Other sport. Definitively it into something with a ball.

Q Do you recognise yourself in Any international artists or sportsmen? I'm thinking about Maradona, Roger Federer, Mick Jagger or someone like that. If with, why?
Well, not really. All great sportsmen are special in Their Own Way and That I would mean special in a good way. Sometimes You are portrayed as and Loner. What do you think about that? I am and I am not. When you do not live in a relationship, Perhaps That is what happens. I really enjoy people, But at the Same Time I like to stay in at home after a lot of travel. I really value time with myself. It all depends on how you see things and this is just my way.

Q:How is your restaurant Watts doing? What is your favorite dish or drink on the menu?
The restaurant is closed at the moment and it is changing owners. We'll see what happens. Anyhow, the Meatballs are my favorite dish and I do not have a favorite drink really.

Q Do you know what is going on in table tennis today? Do you watch it on TV, keep track of results, talk to coaches or players Other, etc.?
I keep a check on it constantly. I talk to the players in the Swedish team and look up results and video clips from the Pro Tour. I follow most of the stuff That is available. I watch TV a lot and discuss table tennis, Botha with older players are now coaches Who and Currently active players. I know what is going on.

Q:What do you think of China? I imagine it is your second homeland. Is that correct?
Because I like China table tennis with the drought and the big thing over there. I have Spent so much time in China and it is always great it be there.

Q:Would you Consider Permanently moving there?
Well, I am too fond of home.

Q:How big a star you are in China, Germany and Sweden?
In China I am Huge, Teutons, and am in a semi-big in Sweden and it is the way it is.

* Finally, we deal with Will and few questions Which May serves with tips for players.

Q:How much do you need it Become a Practice good?
5 - 6 hours per day, six days a week from the age of 12 to 14 That Means about 30 hours per week.

Q:Which Characteristics are important to make it big in table tennis?
A good sense for tactics and a feeling for the ball, and returns good serve, good Footwork. If You Have All That, then you are off and a good start.

Q:What is good coaching advice During matches? Can coaching really Influence the Game?
Coaching is enormously important and a good coach is Fundamental. Some People Can Be coached too much with You Can not coach everybody the Same Way. Swedish table tennis is not up to scratch When it comes to this, it really 'have feeling for the player. A Coach Has it really know the player to get and comprehensive picture of HIM and advice Which May work for one player, May not work for another. The Same principle applies that training.

Q: Do you have to know the player is properly REALISE When you are pushing HIM or games too hard or not enough. Imagine you are a happy forty-plus amateur. Should you Become a Better Practice, to win tournaments or just play it have fun?
You Have not choose an answer. In That case you should play it have fun and to get some exercise.

THE END!

Courtesy of http://www.stolnitenis.eu

What do you all think everyone?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Wow really an incredible read. And even though it does make him sound arrogant he's correct in my opinion. The Chinese players do have an almost robotic style when compared to the European players. Liu Guoliang even said that during the 80's and 90's a focus on technique was very minimal with the short pips players. They worried about service and just hitting the ball for a third ball winner. Where as the Europeans had some great styles and players. Although today I would say there is definitely a style developing in players. Many have chosen Kong Linghui and others WLQ and still others are more like Ma Long at the moment. Pen Holders probably Ma Lin and Wang Hao or fusions of theirs styles much like Xu Xin's.

Mar 2011
You are right Richard, it was a frank and honest interview that I wish more people would read through. It gave a lot of insight of many things, such as the development of TT, his private life, his history and games, to boost or not to to boost..his answer to the question was quite interesting, his view about his peers etc.

My advice, read through it slowly, take your time. It's definitely worth it.

Mar 2011
I printed it so I can read it on the way to work. I am excited to read this. I have been to busy to be on a computer lately.

You're something else buddy;)
Glad to know people appreciate these rare and rather thorough interviews. It covered a lot of aspects. And the best thing is that it came from the great man himself, about his thoughts and feelings. Stuff in the 90's which you don't get a lot from the web.