Stiga Genesis II

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I've just purchased one each of Genesis II 2.0mm in soft and medium.

I've only tried the medium for a couple of hours, but my initial impressions are positive. Slightly tacky, faster than most Chinese style rubbers but still with good control. Quality looks good.
I was previously using Skyline 3-60 and this didn't require a great deal of adjustment, it's slightly harder and faster on more powerful shots, but slightly less tacky.

I had purchased the soft with a view to using it on my backhand, however pressing with my thumb I would say they both feel the same, which would be towards the harder end of medium and certainly not soft. Also they have the same code printed on the sponge : AHXF6061. Unless the pip structure is different I'm fairly sure there is going to be no difference between how the medium and soft sheets I have play, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some sort of error in the factory, either way I'm just going to save the 'soft' sheet and either use it when the medium wears out or use it as a forehand rubber on a back up blade.

This user has no status.
Thanks sedis. I'm considering playing it on my backhand since I use it to block and punch a lot and feel like I might be able to develop a decent bh and counter too with this kind of rubber. Any insights on that?
Would also love to know what the difference between the 2 generations are since it's seemingly just gone over everyone's head

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Thanks sedis. I'm considering playing it on my backhand since I use it to block and punch a lot and feel like I might be able to develop a decent bh and counter too with this kind of rubber. Any insights on that?
Would also love to know what the difference between the 2 generations are since it's seemingly just gone over everyone's head

I briefly tried the 1st gen Genesis M on my backhand and was not pleased. It’s not linear in any way or shape. Tibhar EL-S is a much better option in my opinion as it’s quite linear and excellent both for looping and pushing when coming from tacky rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews

I prefer softer rubbers on my backhand, so this wouldn't work for me, but it seems perfectly fine for blocking on my forehand.

I haven't tried the original Genesis, but I would say that Genesis II is a hybrid type rubber leaning towards a Chinese type, similar to something like Yasaka Rising Dragon.

It is certainly more linear than most ESN/German rubbers. It's been a long time since I played with a sheet of EL-S, but I think it would be fair to describe them as similarly linear.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Stiga Genesis

just realised that a new gen of the genesis rubbers has been released and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

I will be able to reply to this in 48hrs. I went out and bought the original Stiga Genesis Rubbers (Soft 2.0mm on both F/H and B/H) after watching Dan and Tom's reviews. I absolutely LOVE this rubber with my only small gripe being its durability. It is very prone to flaking round the edges, so now I'm ready to replace the rubbers, I have tried the Genesis II . . . . watch this space :)

Reactions: vvk1 and RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I will be able to reply to this in 48hrs. I went out and bought the original Stiga Genesis Rubbers (Soft 2.0mm on both F/H and B/H) after watching Dan and Tom's reviews. I absolutely LOVE this rubber with my only small gripe being its durability. It is very prone to flaking round the edges, so now I'm ready to replace the rubbers, I have tried the Genesis II . . . . watch this space :)

Hey ndenney, welcome to TTD! Once you get your brand spanking new Genesis II - feel free to come to my club for a practice session on Wednesday. I'll help you break them in :)
Vadym

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I have borrowed a Shore O scale durometer. I believe this is the scale that ESN rubbers use, although there seems to be some debate about this.

Anyway as I suspected both the Genesis II M and S sheets that I have gave exactly the same reading which was 49°.

For comparison the reading I got for Mantra M was: 46°, Mantra S: 42°, DHS Skyline 3-60 Mid Hard: 48°, Mid soft: 45° and Xiom Vega Japan was 45°.

I'm not sure how accurate the device is, but I assume it is at least accurate to itself and the results are repeatable and roughly what I would expect.

What would be very interesting to know is if there has been an actual manufacturing error or if I have ended up with one or both sheets at the extreme of their manufacturing tolerance.

This user has no status.
So I have now played with The Genesis II for a number of hours (M on F/H and S on B/H). What I noticed first of all is that the Genesis II is a lot tackier than the original and hence the ball came off the racket a lot slower (which I didn't like). After a few hours this has changed considerably. I actually feel as if I am getting MORE spin with the rubber than when completely new, but now I am also getting more speed too. Very interesting point above that both M and S rubbers were measured at the same sponge hardness and would be very interested to hear what Stiga have to say about this. One week in and I am impressed. B/H loops are very easy to control and position. I am finding the F/H somewhat more difficult to judge the throw angle, but I am putting this down to the fact that I have been playing with the Soft version for a while and just taking a little more time to adjust. Really hope that Tom and Dan can do a review on this new rubber and see what they think :)

This user has no status.
Thanks guys for your feedback ! I've been playing with a Genesis M on my FH for a while now (2 seasons ?), switched to a H3 Neo Nittaku at the end of last season, but not really sure if I'm going to stick with it yet. I noticed the Genesis got a new version and was wondering how it felt.

Do you find it harder or softer than the 1st version? I found the Genesis 1 M a bit too soft for my taste and wouldn't mind 2-3° degrees harder. Also, do you know if Stiga will keep both versions, or will Genesis II replace the previous gen? I noticed Stiga lists both versions on its website.

I absolutely LOVE this rubber with my only small gripe being its durability. It is very prone to flaking round the edges

I personally found that the Genesis M topsheet remained in a very good shape for a long time, very durable, and to me, it's the most important ;) It's actually one of the most durable rubbers I've tried, and many players thought the same on French TT forums (I'm not even sure the edges of my last Genesis were in a particularly bad shape)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I’ve just tried it for two hours and I find Genesis 2 M extremely different to Genesis M.

Extremely tacky. It held the ball in the air for 5 seconds when flipping the racket over. The top sheet is quite similar to H3. Quite linear for being a tensor type rubber.

Edit: It's also extremely spin sensitive. Passive blocking of loops did not work at all for me and I had to quite actively block the ball back. The short game is also quite different. Pushing with underspin needs to be quite aggressive.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I’ve just tried it for two hours and I find Genesis 2 M extremely different to Genesis M.

Extremely tacky. It held the ball in the air for 5 seconds when flipping the racket over. The top sheet is quite similar to H3. Quite linear for being a tensor type rubber.

Edit: It's also extremely spin sensitive. Passive blocking of loops did not work at all for me and I had to quite actively block the ball back. The short game is also quite different. Pushing with underspin needs to be quite aggressive.

Thanks for the feedback :D So definitely, this Genesis II seems to be tackier than the first gen. I'm surprised that it's so spin-sensitive though, would have thought that the tackiness should absorb part of the spin on passive blocks, like H3 or other tacky rubbers?

As for short game, you say it behaves very differently, is it related to the tackiness? I'd expect the Genesis II to be better in that area since it's more tacky (at least, better at keeping the ball short, but you'd have to be more agressive in your underspin pushes because of the tackiness, that would make sense). I've been playing with H3Neo for some weeks and it's a blessing for short game, even compared to the Genesis 1 which is not so bad either.... If Genesis II is between Genesis 1 and H3, it might be interesting :)

Maybe you have played again with the Genesis II since your last post?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Disclaimer: I'm not a very good player so this is just my experience. I've played about 40h with the rubber.

My experience is that tacky rubbers are spin sensitive when you do passive blocks. I normally have to properly engage in the block and push the ball back a bit or it will pop up quite a bit. Tibhar EL-S is much easier for me to block with. Blocking with Genesis 2 M is quite easy during drills but I miss quite a lot during games under pressure but I guess that this will improve.

The short game is quite similar to H3. Putting quite a bit of backspin on the ball is easy. It's a whole lot easier to play with compared to EL-S, Rozena and T05 FX which I've tried on my BH.

The beauty of this rubber to me is that it's quite similar to H3 but you get away with not being where the ball is. Quite a few balls where you really need to stretch to reach the ball (due to poor foot work) actually lands on the other side of the net due to the catapult. These strokes would normally land on my side of the table with H3N.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Anyone with a durometer would have to answer that. It's a bit hard to answer the question in general as it will depend on what you use to boost your H3Neo with (and how much). I've recently used Seamoon on H3N BS and Genesis 2 M feels a whole lot softer to me.

H3Neo provincial 39 degrees with one layer Falco Long

A camparison between Genesis 2 and MX-S or Fastarc G-1 would also be helpful.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Anyone with a durometer would have to answer that. It's a bit hard to answer the question in general as it will depend on what you use to boost your H3Neo with (and how much). I've recently used Seamoon on H3N BS and Genesis 2 M feels a whole lot softer to me.

I measured Genesis II M at 49° on the Shore O scale.
The only H3N I had to compare it with was a used sheet of H3Neo provincial 37° orange sponge, which had had one layer of Falco Long Temp when it was new. This measured very slightly softer at approx 47 or 48°, but if anything the Genesis II feels slightly softer to play with, so I suspect it would feel a fair bit softer than 39° H3N.

Last edited: