A top player's income ?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well dont know about salary :D
But Ma Long won 40 000 in the men singles at Pro Tour Grand Finals..
And I think he also got 10 000 USD for doubles..

BUT!

For them as players I think the most important is, that they have everything free..
They got sponsors that pay for everything they need..
So they dont need to care about money, they can focus on the play :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah they get materials + money from sponsors, and of course within the Chinese team they also get money from government for facilities I think. Then there is prize money and I guess they have contracts at their clubs as well. So all in all it should be pretty much annually I think :p But I have no idea how much they get from sponsors and club contracts.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
If you managed to read through the Timo Boll interview, he mentioned that even the 3rd division Bundesliga football players earn more than he does. :)

Really. What interview is that Azlan? I thought Timo earned $500.000 when he went to China for 3 month representing Zhejiang alone. He must be on some high wage

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
There are in Germany 12 to 15 professional players who can live by playing table tennis. But of course they can not compete with football stars. Football players who play in the second, third Bundesliga earn good money in Germany. In table tennis you have to really be elite to make a living - TIMO BOLL

Sorry buddy, hehehehe it's 3am here and my brain just stop working. It's the interview at the launch of his book. I guess he is one of the "really elite players"...

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
There are in Germany 12 to 15 professional players who can live by playing table tennis. But of course they can not compete with football stars. Football players who play in the second, third Bundesliga earn good money in Germany. In table tennis you have to really be elite to make a living - TIMO BOLL

Sorry buddy, hehehehe it's 3am here and my brain just stop working. It's the interview at the launch of his book. I guess he is one of the "really elite players"...

Ah awesome! :) Yeah, only the very best players will make a good income.

I know that Jan Ove Waldner was the first table tennis millionaire! :p

I know the one Azlan, thanks, haha get some good sleep Azlan. Ill speak to you tomorrow :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
u sure it was 500,000 yuan lol :p I was very sneaky and tried to subtly ask one of the bundesliga players how much they MIGHT be getting paid, but it didn't work, it's very hard to get people to give up the information but I have tried. I was given the diplomatic reply it's enuf to live off plus a little extra :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
heared that schlager earned millions by concluding contracts with some chinese advertising companies in 2003 (when he got popular in china by winning the wttc) but anyway i can't imagine that :O

I can imagine that very well. So many people in China following the sport. I heard that Boll earns 1 million+ annually, but that's just some rumor maybe. But he really is one of the best paid in Europe I guess. Maybe 100.000-200.000 Pro Tour prize money a year? His contract with Butterfly should be a lot too I'd say. He is in every commercial of them. I really think players like Boll, Schlager, Samsonov, Maze and more can live from interest they get over their bank account, unless they spend a lot :p The top are millionaires I'm almost sure.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
u sure it was 500,000 yuan lol :p I was very sneaky and tried to subtly ask one of the bundesliga players how much they MIGHT be getting paid, but it didn't work, it's very hard to get people to give up the information but I have tried. I was given the diplomatic reply it's enuf to live off plus a little extra :)

Ahh found it... new it was in its hundred thousand :) It is expected at $150,000 as cited here http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...imo-Boll-to-play-in-Chinese-Super-League-2011

Haha, yeah no players give up that informations Matt. It's like asking whether they boost or not hehe :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I know that Ma Lin makes around 250,000 in the Chinese Super League depending on which team he plays for. He also has some endorsements I believe in the Millions with Porsche and whatever ads he uses. As a Gold Medalist I would bet he's got everything he'll ever need for the rest of his life and his Family's lives. As people have said previously the Chinese National Teams live for free. They eat whatever they want excluding too much junk food and they live luxuriously on their vacation days which Ma Lin has said he gets around 2-3 every year, but that's not necessarily true as during the CSL or abroad tournaments he isn't training he's playing in the tournament then drinking to the late night.

And Wang Liqin has several endorsements that easily exceed the Millions. We've seen that picture of he and Ma Long on that luxury boat so he may have endorsements there as well. I am willing to bet that the endorsements he has surpasses anything the American Athletes can compare to. They aren't considered National Heroes, but rather are celebrities and make a certain amount of income every year over the lifespan of their contract. So Lebron's 90 Million contract may be over 10 years of his career, but Wang Liqin's endorsements and salaries are over his entire lifetime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
With endorsements I'm sure the younger generation is making some okay money. Easily 6 figures a year, but that's not including prize money. Plus many haven't been in the CSL that long and so their salary hasn't raised yet. I'm sure there's a lot of money for them in China. Ma Long with his endorsements should be making 6 figures easy just from them alone. He's just a huge star atm. The thing though is that none have won any Olympic medals so they really don't have much residual growth yet.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I know a player who plays in France Pro A his earnings are 60,000 USD and he wins about 75% of his matches, it is a shame that table tennis players do not get paid much especially when you consider the time that they put into training...in most instances it probably equates to below the minumum wage haha