• Total voters

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow Michael Maze is back! So happy for him! His achievement was outstanding in beating Dimitrij Ovtcharov by 4 games to 3 in the final!

Maze_9238.jpg

Photo by: ttfr.ru/supercup2011

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Nice article from ettu.org

INTERSPORT Super Cup: you can do magic, Michael!

07/12/2011 - In amazing style Dane Michael MAZE won his first major tournament after the title at the European Championships in Stuttgart in 2009. He finally reached the top spot of the medal rostrum after long break due the knee injury at the INTERSPORT Super Cup in Verkhnaya Pyshma in Ekaterinburg. In the final he beat last years champion Dimitrij OVTCHAROV of Germany. MAZE collected the 50.000 dollars check, whilst OVTCHAROV received 25.000.

INTERSPORT Super Cup concluded the same way as it started. Fierce duel against World’s no. 10 Dimitrij OVTCHAROV and current no. 22 Michael MAZE was the very first and the final match and it marked and sealed whole 2011 Event. MAZE etched his name his name in record books as a last individual champion of the European Super Cup. From next year best clubs will play for the honor and the title at the event.

OVTCHAROV imposed his rhythm and dominated throughout early stages of the match. Two opening games went on his account without great problems. However MAZE raised the level of his game and put Dimitrij on serious pressure in next two sets before he leveled the match and went ahead with the advantage by winning the fifth game. OVTCHAROV had a last attempt to come back in game by winning sixth set, but in the decisive game MAZE showed no mercy.

“I am so happy now that I came back. Even I did not believe that the title will came that quickly. I had very hard matches in past two days, my knee is still all right and I hope it will stay that way tomorrow and day after tomorrow,” said MAZE.”OVTCHAROV played perfectly in the final and it was really great match. After that I won few easy points, it gave me confidence that I can beat him. ”

In the match for the third position Alexey SMIRNOV overcame Kalinikos KREANGA. It was the match for great pleasure. Even he scored against local favorite, thanks to attractive style and great energy Kalinikos received applauses and cheering from the supporters in the home of great UMMC. Greek player forced the duel to the full distance, but at the end SMIRNOV left the arena 15.000 Dollars richer, whilst Kalinikos received the consolation in 10.000.

Semi-finals - Month ago the 2009 European champion, has withdrawn from the Liebherr Men’s World Cup, he has been replaced by Russia’s 34 year old Alexey SMIRNOV. The withdrawal was just one of many set backs tat MAZE suffered on his journey to recovery from the knee surgery. Opposite to that situation, in two days of competition in INTERSPORT Super Cup, here in Ekaterinburg, Dane shine again and it was SMIRNOV who suffered from his lethal rallies in the semi final. With the filigree precision Dane has worked on each point. It was Russia’s player who managed to create bigger gaps during the opening stages, but at the end in the narrow finishes MAZE was the one who closed them in his favor. SMIRNOV forced himself into unforced errors on attacks, finding hard times to answer on MAZE’s strong service.

“It was close game and 4:0 is not the result that explains what happened at the table. Maybe 4:3 will be more adequate of fair outcome after match like this. I think that Alexey did many mistakes on easy points in the closing stages,” said MAZE.

After the match SMIRNOV was disappointed: “I had a set point in each game. Usually I have a game for MAZE, I can play against him, but today I struggled against his service play. I could not see his first service.”

Dimitrij OVTCHAROV showed no weak points in the semi final duel against Kalinokos KREANGA. He took opening game by the storm. In the next one KREANGA started to build the pressure. OVTCHAROV won that one, but the next went on KREANGA’s account. In fourth OVTCHAROV had a better start 3:1, Kalinikos leveled and moved ahead to 4:3, before the advantage started to go from one side to another. However in same executing style as he opened the match German closed the duel.

“I am satisfied with every aspect of my game, simply I outplayed KREANGA today,” said OVTCHAROV.”It was different game from yesterday. First day it is only meter to pass into the next round, and now we play to win the tournament.” After the semi final KREANGA explained: “I was not that fast as I should be. I played good on some balls , but OVTCHAROV was very good.”

Semi Final: Michael MAZE Denmark – Alexey SMIRNOV (Russia) 4:0 (14:12, 13:11, 13:11, 13:11) Dimitrij OVTCHAROV (Germany) – Kalinikos KREANGA (Greece) 4:1 (11:2, 11:8, 8:11, 13:11, 11:2) Match for the third position Alexey SMIRNOV - Kalinikos KREANGA 4:3 (11:7, 9:11, 11:9, 6:11, 11:4, 9:11, 12:10). Final: Michael MAZE - Dimitrij OVTCHAROV 4:3 (8:11, 8:11, 11:5, 11:6, 11:9, 8:11,11:6 )

(by Milica NIKOLIC, EWT)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
(Final) MAZE Michael - OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [Full Match|Short Form]

--enjoy!!! :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
(Final) MAZE Michael - OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [Full Match|Short Form]

--enjoy!!! :)

Thanks Janus! been waiting for this match for so long as I missed it live! :(

What a match, the celebration from Maze at the end is amazing. Reminds me of 2009, he wanted this badly! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
@Dan and @aslan

You're welcome guys!!
---------------------
Yes Dan, you're right!! I had the same feeling as you in the end of this match. Maze's performance of 2009 was really excellent -its difficult to forget, both in Danish Team match against Germany, and in the Single's matches against Boll(semis) and Schlager(final) -he has also the same chinese coach.