His Name is Liam Pitchford

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Excerpt from the interview after Team World Cup 2018 by magazine Table Tennis World
z7uq2hH.jpg

马龙
——印象最深刻的对手?
……我一直觉得英格兰的皮切福特的球挺有特点,里约奥运会我和他交手,后面两局咬得很紧,一直落后,挺别扭的。他在2016年世乒赛团体赛对日本队的团体赛中表现得也不错,最后是惜败。皮切福特的球有相当的实力,这次他和樊振东打,打得樊振东也不是很舒服。

——看队友比赛最揪心的一场?
樊振东打皮切福特那场比赛,谁上去打都不会轻松。
ML
- Most impressive opponent?
...I have always felt that Pitchford of England has a unique game. I played him at the Rio Olympics. It was very tight in the last two games. I was behind and it was awkward. He also performed well in the team match against Japan at WTTC 2016, losing by a small margin. His game has considerable strength. This time he gave FZD a difficult time.

- Most gut-wrenching match to watch from the bench?
FZD vs Pitchford. Not an easy one for any of us.

PFucyfc.jpg

许昕
——印象最深刻的对手?
我对英格兰的一号皮切福特印象很深,我记得我2012年和皮切福特打过比赛,那时候他水平没有现在这么全面,所以我挺想和他对战一下。

——看队友比赛最揪心的一场?
樊振东对皮切福特,其实赛前樊振东做足了困难准备,但依然打得很激烈,说明对手确实有实力。
XX
I was very impressed with Pitchford, England's No. 1. I remember playing him in 2012. At that time, his level was not as comprehensive as it is now, so I really want to play against him.

- Most gut-wrenching match to watch from the bench?
FZD vs Pitchford. FZD prepared for a difficult match, but still it was intense. This indicates the opponent did have strength.

hu5S3Zn.jpg

樊振东
——出乎意料的比赛?
半决赛。因为之前我看了皮切福特和马龙的奥运会比赛,感觉他有些球打得马龙挺难受。等我准备好上场后,他第一局和第三局开始的几个球打得我也挺难受,虽然我做好了困难准备,但他有些球的质量还是超出我的想象了,这是比较出乎我意料的比赛。

——印象最深刻的对手?
也是皮切福特,他比赛中球的质量、对我的冲击还有球的特点,让我印象很深。
FZD
- Match that exceeded your expectation?
SF. I watched the match b/w Pitchford and ML at the Rio Olympics and I felt some of his shots made ML uneasy. When it was my turn, in the 1st and 3rd games, some of his shots gave me a hard time. Even though I knew what to expect, some of his shots were still beyond my imagination.

Pitchford as well. His shot quality, the impact on me and his specialty impressed me a lot.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Still trying to get my head around how Liam won yesterday. It seemed liked his backhand was key.... often flicking Ma Long's serve but also switching down the line very quickly. I wonder if Liam has read that Ma Long fears him to, this will give him a psychological advantage before going into the game. Goo liam

Jan 2018
LGL also praised Pitchford in his commentary for the Team World Cup 2018. One point he made was that Drinkhall and Walker played rather like how Chinese played and thus they felt Pitchford with his European style was a bigger threat.

Reactions: yoass
Jan 2018
Still trying to get my head around how Liam won yesterday. It seemed liked his backhand was key.... often flicking Ma Long's serve but also switching down the line very quickly. I wonder if Liam has read that Ma Long fears him to, this will give him a psychological advantage before going into the game. Goo liam

At the right time, in the right place and with the right people. Everything sort of clicked for him when he was down.

The 3rd and 4th games were crucial. ML was up 8:4 in 3rd and 10:6 in 4th. In particular, the TO at 11:12 in the 3rd game didn't work, the calls and that net at 12:11 in the 4th game. That's how much you need to beat Ma Long.

When you get Ma Long to swear, you know how bad he had it. When Pitchford heard it(and understood), I think it helped him to know that ML was aggravated.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Fault serve or too harsh?

At the right time, in the right place and with the right people. Everything sort of clicked for him when he was down.

The 3rd and 4th games were crucial. ML was up 8:4 in 3rd and 10:6 in 4th. In particular, the TO at 11:12 in the 3rd game didn't work, the calls and that net at 12:11 in the 4th game. That's how much you need to beat Ma Long.

When you get Ma Long to swear, you know how bad he had it. When Pitchford heard it(and understood), I think it helped him to know that ML was aggravated.

I only saw the highlights. But that fault serve at 11:11 really unsettled him and I don't believe that he recovered. He served only standard serves from then on, I think, so as not to risk another fault call.

Can anyone show that serve in slow motion?
I looked at it and yes there was a long 'hand carry' leading to a short toss followed by a long 'fall'.
I am not saying that the serve was legal, however, was it really worth a fault call? Especially at that stage in the match.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Who thinks Ma Long just had a bad day? or liam is at that level.

Stats people here, where will Liams ranking go after that bting Ma long?

Of course Ma Long had a bad day, he's still a better player than Liam (obviously), but just not on that day. This is not to say that Liam wasn't playing extremely well, which he was. We've all known for a long time that Liam has the capability of beating top players, so this shouldn't really be a surprise at all. He IS a top player. And no one should take this achievement away from him.

We can think of endless excuses as to why ML lost, which everyone seems to do when he does lose. The fact is he's human, everyone loses, upsets happen. Liam is at a high level but he's not as versatile as Ma Long is and not at that level yet. Everything had to click for Liam to beat ML, which also shows what a top player ML is and how difficult he is to beat.

Still, a win over ML is a win over ML and Liam has been performing extremely well for a while now (at least against some matchups), I hope his level stays stable so he can keep pulling off these kind of wins.

Reactions: lugi2000
MA Long hasn't been playing well since the birth of his son, during the WC last year which he could not attend. I'm not saying this is why but this could definitely be a factor. Also not having LGL has coach must have affected him. LGL is a genius at getting the best out of the players when they most need it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 2 reviews
Of course Ma Long had a bad day, he's still a better player than Liam (obviously), but just not on that day. This is not to say that Liam wasn't playing extremely well, which he was. We've all known for a long time that Liam has the capability of beating top players, so this shouldn't really be a surprise at all. He IS a top player. And no one should take this achievement away from him.

We can think of endless excuses as to why ML lost, which everyone seems to do when he does lose. The fact is he's human, everyone loses, upsets happen. Liam is at a high level but he's not as versatile as Ma Long is and not at that level yet. Everything had to click for Liam to beat ML, which also shows what a top player ML is and how difficult he is to beat.

Still, a win over ML is a win over ML and Liam has been performing extremely well for a while now (at least against some matchups), I hope his level stays stable so he can keep pulling off these kind of wins.

Amen, lets hope he can maintain such a level like you say. We could see Liam enter the top 10 if he can maintain itt

Reactions: Richie