Blade and Rubber recommendations for Intermediate Offensive player?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look Dominus. Here is the thing. At a certain point you have to know if your technique is not good enough for you to have a valid opinion on equipment. And it is even more important to know, there is no way anyone can have a valid opinion on a piece of equipment that they HAVE NEVER EVEN TRIED.

On line there are lots of people who try to pretend they know what they are talking about and then you hear something or see them play and realize they actually do not have any validity behind their statements.

So, here is a story. This is from YEARS ago before I could loop and when my technique was terrible and I was trying to learn how to play.

A friend had two blades. They were both Off-. They both were Hinoki blades. They both had the same rubbers on them. My friend had me try both to see what I thought. I liked one A LOT more than the other. Then he had another friend of ours who is a woman who is a Pro TT player. She tried them both and here is what she explained:

1) The blade that I had liked more: she said it was too slow for what bad control it had and she would never use it. It didn't grab the ball well. It didn't have good dwell time. It didn't generate good spin. It had inconsistencies. And all it was really good for was hitting flat. (Exactly what my technique allowed me to do at that time).

2) The blade I didn't like as much: she said it was excellent. It had good dwell time. Good control. Grabbed the ball really well. Generated excellent spin. And it was way faster than the other blade. (I had found it slower because my skill and contact were low level at the time).

So, several years later, when my technique and my looping were much more solid and I had started becoming decent at the game, I had a chance to hit with that second blade again and I realized just how good, how magical the blade actually was. And when my level was lower, I could not feel it at all. I had no idea why this woman liked it so much more. But I also was sensible enough to realize she knew and could feel things I HAD NO ACCESS TO.

So the question is, do you want information about what rubbers or blade are good based on the random opinions of someone whose level you don't even know, and WHO HAS NOT EVEN TRIED THE EQUIPMENT that they are saying is GOOD or not GOOD enough to warrant the price?

Think about it.

Dominus, we have seen footage of you. And I am really glad you are working hard to try and improve. But I have serious doubts about the validity of anything you say about equipment when, in every single video I have seen of you, it was quite clear that your equipment is always completely wrong for your needs.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am sorry to have to do that to Dominus. But it is a bit distressing to see someone so clearly clueless about TT equipment trying to pretend he knows what he is talking about when he cannot even come to grips with using equipment that would be good for him.

And as to the issue of why other rubbers are better known and more popular than Nexy Karis....a little company from Korea with absolutely no marketing, not even trying to sell their products on major outlets....well, I can see why so few people have ever even heard of Nexy Karis. But that has nothing to do with how well the rubber performs.

And the truth is, I have a feeling you may not even be able to tell how good it is. Because you have to have good technique to get the full benefits out of it. But it is still excellent for beginners like you because of how much control it affords you and how linear it is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I am sorry to have to do that to Dominus. But it is a bit distressing to see someone so clearly clueless about TT equipment trying to pretend he knows what he is talking about when he cannot even come to grips with using equipment that would be good for him.

And as to the issue of why other rubbers are better known and more popular than Nexy Karis....a little company from Korea with absolutely no marketing, not even trying to sell their products on major outlets....well, I can see why so few people have ever even heard of Nexy Karis. But that has nothing to do with how well the rubber performs.

And the truth is, I have a feeling you may not even be able to tell how good it is. Because you have to have good technique to get the full benefits out of it. But it is still excellent for beginners like you because of how much control it affords you and how linear it is.

Your meditations some times makes you have more ego than usual, I know and I've been told it, I'm not old and experienced, but one no need to be old to try many rubbers, so I can difference between a Xu Shaofa, stiga calibra, tibhar evolution, rasanter, rhyzer, so, in fact because you put more effort to brush the Karis doesn't mean it's better than a hurricane 3 neo, as a EJer I can talk from my experience with those rubbers, of course not all, anyway you can play with a premade blade and if you have the correct technique then you can do wonderful things, then why buy an expensive rubber? The point is price vs benefits, a nittaku fast arc g1 last a very long time as a h3 neo, and the last just for 15 bucks, I don't have anything against Karis, in fact I would like to try it, but if you tell me is for beginners then they should be cheaper, and about the marketing, if they are so marvelous the should take the risk and open their great rubber to the world, don't you think?
And I would like you upload a footage about your performance. I'll appreciate it a lot

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your meditations some times makes you have more ego than usual, I know and I've been told it, I'm not old and experienced, but one no need to be old to try many rubbers, so I can difference between a Xu Shaofa, stiga calibra, tibhar evolution, rasanter, rhyzer, so, in fact because you put more effort to brush the Karis doesn't mean it's better than a hurricane 3 neo, as a EJer I can talk from my experience with those rubbers, of course not all, anyway you can play with a premade blade and if you have the correct technique then you can do wonderful things, then why buy an expensive rubber? The point is price vs benefits, a nittaku fast arc g1 last a very long time as a h3 neo, and the last just for 15 bucks, I don't have anything against Karis, in fact I would like to try it, but if you tell me is for beginners then they should be cheaper, and about the marketing, if they are so marvelous the should take the risk and open their great rubber to the world, don't you think?
And I would like you upload a footage about your performance. I'll appreciate it a lot

I just think you talk without knowing what you are talking about and you think you read but you don’t understand.

I said that Karis has enough control to be good for a beginner and can generate enough spin so it is still excellent for an advanced player. The rubber has gears.

But you are giving a review and an opinion of a rubber you never even tried.

And I am confident that your technique is not good enough for you to actually know the difference between equipment that is good for you and equipment that will be bad for you. In short, you are clueless. You don’t know what you are talking about. Your technique is not good enough to give useful advice on equipment and yet, you keep trying to do it. When a short time ago you were asking advice on what you should use and it was clear you didn’t listen to the advice and didn’t realize what you were using was not suited to how you play.

Someone who is newer to the forum and doesn’t know how you play or what your knowledge base (or lack thereof) could think you are giving valid advice.

So I want people on the forum to understand that there are people like you who don’t have a clue and yet, they try to pretend they are knowledgeable.

Again, I don’t want this to be personal. But it would be better if people who clearly don’t know what they are talking about would stop trying to pretend they know what they are talking about.

To anyone wanting decent advice on equipment, never pay attention to someone who is willing to tell you their opinions on a product they have NEVER EVEN TRIED.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I'm sorry but you're wrong, the fact that I'm lazy and that's why use some tensor rubber doesn't mean which rubber is better for my actual status, and again I repeat, I'm not experienced, I think you read but don't understand, and of course I said I didn't tried that rubber so I didn't do any review, so the clueless is not me precisely, by the way, why you defend that rubber on that way? It's interesting thinking about it, a thing apart, years ago I was like in a maze I won't try to fool myself, but don't think that is a reason enough to participate in this good forum, as you and other guys provided me advices that really guided me to the correct path, I want to share my little and humble opinion.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Man, Dmns must have really stepped on a doo-doo mine to get that outta Carl... kinda reminds us of when our last forum hero who was an obvious beginner came on the forum talking with conviction and passion about who should use what, but was so low level to use any of it effectively.

I get it, when we begin to get into our TT sport, we are excited and proud to be a part and want to help, even if our ability to do so or experience isn't there yet. I have been there and done that too, so I wont be as harsh.

All I can say is stay with it and it will come.. and better.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it is fine to want to help people. And to try. But it is worth giving a context of what your actual experience and the context of your opinion is.

Like: “I have never tried it. But I wonder if Nexy Karis would be worth the price.”

Rather than saying it is not worth the price when you have no way of knowing what it is or isn’t worth since you have not tried it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I think it is fine to want to help people. And to try. But it is worth giving a context of what your actual experience and the context of your opinion is.

Like: “I have never tried it. But I wonder if Nexy Karis would be worth the price.”

Rather than saying it is not worth the price when you have no way of knowing what it is or isn’t worth since you have not tried it.

OK, I made a mistake, you're right I didn't tried yet, my apologies for everyone who got mad because my words, I still appreciate you upload a footage about your playing tt, and your setup of course please.

This user has no status.
Thanks Carl.

That explains why, the first time I used the Stiga Infinity (with the Rasant rubbers) it felt head-heavy. I’ve gotten used to it and it feels fine on forehand now.
But I just started thinking about whether I should try an alternative that’s more balanced. But maybe I shouldn’t worry about it and just keep practicing.

I do want to *feel* the ball better than what the tensors give me and I want my effort to be linearly correlated with output. I want a more *organic* feel. I want control and touch in the short game.

So I like the idea of more dwell time on a 5 ply blade, with non-tensors at first.

I’ll look at that Butterfly Korbel. Thanks!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You have the medium vs medium soft sponge thing going on.

For FH offensive players who want to make topspin, given the same topspheet, you can get more out of a firmer sponge if you have a firmer and powerful (fast bat and firm grip) impact.

If you have less powerful impact and slower bat, a softer sponge makes it easier to get the ball into topsheet wrap and sponge catapult for control on loops.

That is about the simplest way to explain sponge hardness decision making.

Some players also need a rubber with a higher throw for extra safety on a slower topspin shot. Vega Pro is an excellent choice for this.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think I can handle a fast blade.

But I think these tensor rubbers have been hurting my feel and form. I want to take a step back in equipment in that sense.

I have a couple of ideas for you. Here is a link to one of Der_Echte's famous threads called, "Re-Building the Beast".

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...Building-the-BEAST&highlight=rebuilding+beast

Have a look at the first few pages. Maybe even just the first post. :)

Der takes the handle of a Stiga Allround Evolution apart and gives it a little extra weight and then glues it back together. He has since improved his skillz at taking apart and gluing the handle back together. Der, what is your process for taking the handle apart now?

Anyway, you could add some weight to the handle. However, a Korbel or a Virtuoso Plus would both be good for you. They would still give you more spin than the Infinity because the Infinity is Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba and the top ply of Limba has undergone a hardening process which makes it feel crisper but makes it harder to generate spin.

Whereas the Korbel and the Virtuoso Plus have Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba. And the soft Limba ply on top of another soft limba ply gives you much more dwell time, grab and spin than Limba-Spruce does. But the Limba-Spruce gives you more kick.

As for the rubbers: Vega Pro or Vega Pro (FH) and Vega Europe (BH) might be a good choice. SO WOULD Nexy Karis. What you described sounds exactly like Nexy Karis-M would be perfect for you.

Der, give TheGinjaGuy some info on Nexy Karis. :)

And yes, I am in Krooklyn, NYC. :)

This user has no status.
Thanks Carl! I'll read that.

You wrote "Vega Pro or Vega Pro (FH)" Did you mean to write something else -2 different rubbers?

What about the Sweden Extra versus the Korbel and Virtuoso Plus?

I'm getting close!

And I'm also close to you - Church stop on F/G train. Do you go to Nison's? :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl! I'll read that.

You wrote "Vega Pro or Vega Pro (FH)" Did mean to write something else -2 different rubbers?

What about the Sweden Extra versus he Korbel and Virtuos Plus?

I'm getting close!

And I'm also close to you - Church stop on F/G train. Do you go to Nison's? :)

We are not far from each other. My sister goes to Nissan's. For me it is too far from home. And since all of my work brings me to Manhattan, it is far in the opposite direction as work.

As far as Vega pro or vega pro.

What I actually said was: Vega Pro or Vega Pro (FH) and Vega Europe (BH)

But I could have made what I meant clearer like this: you could use: 1) Vega Pro (both sides) or 2) Vega Pro (FH) Vega Europe (BH).

I hope it is more clear that way. I agree with Der_Echte that for many who do not have quite as much bang impact on the BH, a slightly softer rubber helps you get the ball to sink in and the topsheet to grab the ball and distort before the sponge and rubber rebound and kick the ball out with more spin and speed. That is why, for many, softer slower rubbers on the BH actually perform faster and spinnier with more control. :) And it all has to do with how you touch the ball on your contact.

So, in #2, it gives you the softer rubber (Vega Europe) for the BH.

Last edited:
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
If you dont mind spending extra, go with the virtuoso+. It has an amazing build quality and crisp feeling over Korbel or YSE.

p.s. This doesn’t mean that Korbel and YSE has a poor quality; they play well and have a good feel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use a heat gun to carefully heat up the handles and the glue holding it together... for a few minutes slowly at a safe distance... Then I slide in my thin knife and remove handles. I fill in empty space with hide glue and filler material, toothpicks or nails depending on how much weight to add.

All kind of benefits to this.... discussed in thread.

As for Karis over this rubber or whatever, Karis is simply just a different rubber, very linear. You get out what you put in. Not very spin sensitive and you can add you own spin... although it won't be a much as say T05 or Vega Pro.