7-ply wood blades – Comparison

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hi guys,

i own an Andro Core 7 Off+. I really like this blade. Sadly it's very unpopular.
Now i want to rank it (e.g. speedwise) to others 7-ply and to more popular blades. There is an article in ttgearlab with a comparison between more popular 7-ply blades, but i kinda do not believe in the results. Now the SK7 e.g. should be 1.5 more faster than base (Stiga AC), the Samsonov Pro Black 1.8. Imo weight has a high correlation to speed, thus SPB (90g on average) doesnt fit with SK7 (95g on average). My Andro has 92g.

Now where does my Andro belong.

This user has no status.
I might not be able to give you a precise info about where your blade is positioned amongst others.

But I can give you some clues how to decide if a blade is faster/slower than other blades. Based on my experience there're 3 factors that affect blade speed. They are materials composition, blade thickness, blade pitch.

The blade weight it self doesn't really related to blade speed unless they have the same composition. For example I have Xiom Musa Euro which weighted 105g (5.7mm thickness) and it feels slower than My current Tibhar Samsonov Status Wood which weighted 87gr (6.1mm thickness)

I will leave materials composition to other forum members because I unable to memorize all blade materials and I don't have enough knowledge to talk about it. But some of popular material I can mention are Limba, Koto, Hinoki (Outer Wood) and Ayous, Kiri (Inner Wood). They have a very different characteristics compared to each other. (eg. Limba if more flexible than Koto).

And for the thickness part, the thicker the blade the faster they usually are (but this will also affected by blade materials). But you need to compared them par to par (eg. all wood with all wood blade or carbon with carbon blade) because some of carbon blade has a faster feels even though they are thinner than all wood blade.

The third factors is pitch sound. Usually faster blade will give you a higher pitch when you try to juggle the ball (you need to do it without rubbers applied on both sides)

Or for more precise information, you may buy all the blades you want to compare and try it by yourself
Cheers !!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
well the composition of the mentioned blades are all the same (2x limba outer, 5x ayous).

its real strange that blades with same composition and weight are faster/slower than the same

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
and you forget about shape, smaller head size = faster blade, even wider wings makes difference.

For me Andro Blades are very good if we compare money to playgame

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys,

i really love my Core 7 OFF+, sadly it's too fast for me.
i also tried Xiom Offensive S (2x outer Limba, 3x Ayous) and really liked it. on contrary, i dislike the handle, it feel like bad finished. also it's sharp on the edges thus i get hurt due to frictons.

now i am searching for a way slower 7-ply limba-ayous or better quality 5-ply limba-ayous blade.

someone mentioned Nittaku Ludeack and Adelie. Sadly i dont get many information due to the low popularity of this blades.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
i also tried Xiom Offensive S (2x outer Limba, 3x Ayous) and really liked it. on contrary, i dislike the handle, it feel like bad finished. also it's sharp on the edges thus i get hurt due to frictons.

Sandpaper’s your friend!

hey guys,

Yes, as yoass said - sandpaper may be a friend ;)
Its not only Xiom that leave wings sharp and thats for a reason, not a bad finish at all.
It depends on you, your style and feeling to sand the wings as much as you need.
Some players like the sharper wings, because the edges give them the feeling about the exact blade position and angle and its very important especially for players using looser grip and changing grip.
Some like wellrounded wings, and you can just sand the wings as much as you like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
sry but my other more qualitive all have rounded wings. i dont buy sharp wings beeing a feature.

non the less, i rounded the wings on my xiom. still i like 7-ply-wood blades with limba-ayous kinda more.

back to the question: are Nittaku Ludeack / Adelie more like my Andro Core OFF+ or more like my Xiom Offensive S

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Have not played with the Andro Blade, but for 7 ply blades I would say get a DHS Hurricane King 655. Is a looping machine with a great crisp feeling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
how can the PG7 be compared to BTY Korbel (e.g.) or my current blade Xiom Offensive S?
the 7-ply blades seems to be more "stable" kinda

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
and you forget about shape, smaller head size = faster blade, even wider wings makes difference.

For me Andro Blades are very good if we compare money to playgame

Why do you think that smaller head is faster?

Back when Stiga made Oversized blades, the Stiga Clipper Oversized was WAY WAY WAY faster than a regular Clipper. And the Allround Oversize was much faster than the Allround Classic. The only difference was the head size.

However, with a smaller head size you definitely can get faster stroke speed. So if a persona cannot weird the weight of a larger blade face it will make their stroke and recovery slower. Also, the larger head size gives more feeling but makes the blade MUCH more likely to be head heavy because the larger blade face means more rubber in addition to the extra wood.

Reactions: langel
Why do you think that smaller head is faster?

Back when Stiga made Oversized blades, the Stiga Clipper Oversized was WAY WAY WAY faster than a regular Clipper. And the Allround Oversize was much faster than the Allround Classic. The only difference was the head size.

However, with a smaller head size you definitely can get faster stroke speed. So if a persona cannot weird the weight of a larger blade face it will make their stroke and recovery slower. Also, the larger head size gives more feeling but makes the blade MUCH more likely to be head heavy because the larger blade face means more rubber in addition to the extra wood.

Exactly and absolutely true.

When a player is looking for the best for him blade, he must pay attention not only to speed class, composition, hardness, stiffness and weight, but to the weight distribution /COW/ and handle geometry too. The centre of weight reflects a lot and in different ways on different strokes - for example if we compare Rossi Emotion to Vega Tour with exactly the same weight of 84 gr /well they are of different class and composition, but play very similar in close allaround/ the wider lower side of the wings and the longer handle of Rossi lifts the COW closer to the handle making the blade to feel much lighter, thus the feel of softer touches is much better and the AR is going smooth with ease, pleasent and precise. But when you switch to mid distance with harder /but still in the Rossi range/ strokes, the little bit higher COW of Vega Tour with a more massive head feel makes it more stable and trusty. /still this comparison is all about the Rossi All to OFF- range/.
The COW and handle size and geometry reflect a lot on the style of grip and changing grip, so its really very difficult for a player to find his dream setup without some trade-off.

Last edited: