Please help me to select and build a paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Sorry about the long post.

This is my first post here, and I have been reading a lot on the forum. Really grateful for all the information and the platform.

Some history:
I converted from penhold to shakehand and accumulated about a year of playing time now. (4 to 5 hour a week)

I now play moderately arressive, attack a lot but with low success rate. I want to get better in driving and control the pace of the game.

The good:
- Block, BH is better than FH
- Power and speed in both FH and BH
- BH close table fast hit and over the table flip
- Loop okay both side if the ball is slow, BH is still better than FH
- Short chop is okay
- Can play long chop from time to time and often can surprise my opponents
- Can serve different spins and directions pretty well in both FH and BH

The bad:
- Can't really drive (plan to improve)
- Low rate of success when attacking with force
- Can't control pace of the game
- Not good at directing the ball
- Horrible at reading the serve

What I like about the paddle I have:
- Not heavy, I have an old injury spot near the elbow, and backhand flip can cause some pain, especially when the paddle is heavy
- Has a lot of power, which helps when I land a punch
- Good at blocking, I found it is effortless

What I dislike about the paddle I have:
-Lack of control, not really tolerating, my hits are often too long or in the net
-Same rubber on both sides, while I can tell that my FH and BH play differently and could probably use different rubbers

I plan to practice more to improve my drive and close to the table hit, also slow down my game to gain more control. But thinking that I might need to get a slow paddle to help me about the success rate. Maybe I will start taking private lessons. I want to save my current paddle and try to preserve the it, and maybe go back to it when my skill is good enough to match its power.

Budget is $100 (USD) but can go up to $150. I plan to order it from megaspin, padddlepalace, tabletennis11, or ttnpp if people here think it is safe for authentic parts. I can also have my friend order it in China and bring over to here in the US.

Need suggestions for selecting stuff. I am originally from China, and prefer Chinese brands. I like to have tacky rubbers in both sides to improve my spin on serve and overall control.

Blades in my mind:
Sanwei Dynamo or Pro F3
DHS Power G7 or G8
Galaxy EC-14
LKT Transformer No.1

FH rubber options:
Sanwei Target National
DHS Hurricane 8, I tried it on a commercial DHS A6002, and liked it, the paddle was too heavy to me though

BH rubber options:
DHS Skyline TG3
Friendship 729-08
DHS Hurricane 3.50
Friendship 729 Battle II

Other questions:
1. Should I select Neo version or not?
2. Anything really against tacky for BH in my situation?

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

This user has no status.
The problem is that most chinese tacky rubbers are heavy, so using them on both sides will increase the weighweight by quite a bit. Hurricane 8 ( which you said you liked) is also very heavy so you could maybe try some lighter tacky rubbers. Also, chinese tacky rubbers usually require a longer stroke which may not help your elbow so you maybe better with European rubber as you can generate alot of spin with them aswell. Saying That, look at lightweight blades so that you can afford to get a heavier tacky fh rubber and then maybe get a European rubber on the backhand that is lighter. I use tenergy 05 on bh and hurricane 3 national and still don't notice the weight difference between the rubbers when playing so I wouldn't worry about that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
You might consider long pips for your bh, to help your elbow and poor service return. You can still flip sides to attack.

A lot of info here in one place. Read the intro then make your decision, well worth 5-10 minutes of your time.

Link .... North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/NorthLittleRockTableTennisGroup/?ref=bookmarks

This user has no status.
You might consider long pips for your bh, to help your elbow and poor service return. You can still flip sides to attack.

A lot of info here in one place. Read the intro then make your decision, well worth 5-10 minutes of your time.

Link .... North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/NorthLittleRockTableTennisGroup/?ref=bookmarks
Its pathetic to use long pips to cover up a weakness. Those rubbers should only be used by players who's playing style is right for that rubber (choppers). Instead, try to actually play better and not be one of those trolls that isn't good but then doubles their rating just because they have stupid rubber that some well-trained athletic players don't yet know how to handle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Loopadoop, thanks for the suggestion, but I think that I will stay with the pips in rubber. We have a couple of guys here using long pips for mostly blocking and pushing on BH, close to table. Their BH were identified as weak points and there are many others that take advantage of their BH.

I do agree with Lermanator. I feel that pips out players can gain some quick advantage early on but it is hard to improve after reaching a certain level. I want to grow to be a well rounded player. My elbow should be okay sooner or later. (It was hurt in a fall about 3 or 4 months ago, and the main thing I need to do is stop putting stress on it when I swing my super heavy computer bag over my shoulder. It can be hard to remember when it does not bother me normally.) I started at a local club a couple month ago (an upgrade from playing with a few guys at a local church) and we have league play time every Saturday. I feel that my skill improved a lot already. Being a pretty athletic guy and play volleyball for my college, I am confident that I will learn how to read serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Its pathetic to use long pips to cover up a weakness. Those rubbers should only be used by players who's playing style is right for that rubber (choppers). Instead, try to actually play better and not be one of those trolls that isn't good but then doubles their rating just because they have stupid rubber that some well-trained athletic players don't yet know how to handle

My long pips have been hurt by your comments dually since their mentor the ITTF has approved them for play using all styles.

We do appreciate your candor.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Wow, the famous yogi_bear replied to my post! I have seen your name a lot of places, and learned a lot from your comments/reviews.

Thanks for the reminder. I feel that my current paddle is just a tad faster so I am looking for something a little bit slower, and getting a little bit more control at the same time.

I will get a blade with similar character as Joola Flame Fast, and seek the reduction of speed and gain of control on the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Laistrogian, rakza 7 seems to be pretty similar to the Joola X-plode... but, anyway, I have no idea... I guess that I am leading everyone down the over-analyzing path.

ttmonster, I don't want to embarrass myself to that level, although I have very thick skin. :eek: BTW, a video of my playing would so ugly and it may cause the TTD server to crash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The reason I ask is without atleast seeing your technique its very hard to understand what you need... does not matter whether you are good or bad ... the theoretical discussions never lead to anywhere when it comes to equipment ... truth be told there are a lot of options out there, some very similar to each other and some very different ... and people can only recommend the ones they have played with ... so its better to give them a visual
Laistrogian, rakza 7 seems to be pretty similar to the Joola X-plode... but, anyway, I have no idea... I guess that I am leading everyone down the over-analyzing path.

ttmonster, I don't want to embarrass myself to that level, although I have very thick skin. :eek: BTW, a video of my playing would so ugly and it may cause the TTD server to crash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
The pg7 is a safe bet because despite being a 7 ply all wood blade, it has flex and control you need to develop your strokes.

Thanks! A friend of mine also suggested Sanwei Pro V5 and using Sanwei Target National on both sides. He said that my FH can develop to be like can BH... This is quite an opposite advice from what I was thinking...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
If thats the case , the only way you will be able to resolve this is to try out different combinations by borrowing it from friends.

Haha, that might be why I am so confused now, I have tried so many paddles.

I have tried so far:
- Sanwei Fextra with DHS H3 FH, don't remember BH, I liked the feel of the blade, which leads me to like Sanwei in general. the combination with H3 is a little bit dull to me, maybe it is the slower blade.

- DHS Hurricane King (not sure which one) with DHS H3 FH Provincial and T80 BH, I loved the FH but not very sure about the T80, it is out side of my budget range anyway.
Commercial DHS A6002 with H8 and TinArc. H8 felt great as I immediately landing more hits on the table. The paddle overall is heavy; TinArc is not my tea. I also tried H8 on backhand, I did great with away from table loop. Arc was low and powerful. I struggled with over the table flip with my sore muscle near elbow (only impacting this move), and wondering what if my elbow is fully healed or the paddle is lighter. I can do this fine with my Joola...

- Joola Eagle Fast and Maxxx 400 on both side, similar blade with Rhyzm, Samba Tech... All the harder to control than mine.

- Some OFF- paddle with Galaxy Moon on GH. Hated it.
- A couple 729 blades with 729 rubbers, forgot the name but I could not find it on any of the sites I trust. Buying directly and paying shipping from China does not make sense to me at this moment.

- A penhold with Sanwei Target National, I played penhold with it, like the forehand, but could not control the ball with my backhand. I still have 10 times more hours played with penhold than shakehand, although I can't do reversed pen. It is the reason I convert to shakehand.

Just continue to over-analyzing it ...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte and Joe141, than you so much for your advice. It takes time to read my long post and reply. I really appreciate the patience and the information. I will check the information out and consider your advice.
Several middle of the road possibilities at coles... I frequently recommend the 896 blade with xp2008 rubbers... that is middle of road control and under 40 usd delivered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk