Please help me to select and build a paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Which H8 did you try ? The mid-soft or the mid-hard ? My experience with them is Mid Soft is good by lacks top end , Mid Hard is okay but I would go with boosted H3 any day over Hard H8... backhand I prefer to not change from Tenergy 05 , you can go with the suggestions other people have made if price is a concern.

I don't know what kind of game you play, but my experience with Long V ( DHS) is that those blades are made to play with one side Hurricane and the other side Tenergy. Putting two tenergy makes them really heavy and if you like to play close to the table drive loops on backhand , it ain't the combination for you ...

listen to Der_Echte ... email the guy at colestt and see if you can call him up .. he will help you with the setup...

the alternate option you could do is get the paddle made by BBC ( Blades by Charley ) and just slap on any middle of the road rubbers ... with BBC you can frankly talk to him about your budget and needs from the blade,if he is in a good mood he will give you a lot of good advise ... well all this is with the assumption that you live within US ... Charley is somewhere in Cali and is pretty good about getting back to you ...

Haha, that might be why I am so confused now, I have tried so many paddles.

I have tried so far:
- Sanwei Fextra with DHS H3 FH, don't remember BH, I liked the feel of the blade, which leads me to like Sanwei in general. the combination with H3 is a little bit dull to me, maybe it is the slower blade.

- DHS Hurricane King (not sure which one) with DHS H3 FH Provincial and T80 BH, I loved the FH but not very sure about the T80, it is out side of my budget range anyway.
Commercial DHS A6002 with H8 and TinArc. H8 felt great as I immediately landing more hits on the table. The paddle overall is heavy; TinArc is not my tea. I also tried H8 on backhand, I did great with away from table loop. Arc was low and powerful. I struggled with over the table flip with my sore muscle near elbow (only impacting this move), and wondering what if my elbow is fully healed or the paddle is lighter. I can do this fine with my Joola...

- Joola Eagle Fast and Maxxx 400 on both side, similar blade with Rhyzm, Samba Tech... All the harder to control than mine.

- Some OFF- paddle with Galaxy Moon on GH. Hated it.
- A couple 729 blades with 729 rubbers, forgot the name but I could not find it on any of the sites I trust. Buying directly and paying shipping from China does not make sense to me at this moment.

- A penhold with Sanwei Target National, I played penhold with it, like the forehand, but could not control the ball with my backhand. I still have 10 times more hours played with penhold than shakehand, although I can't do reversed pen. It is the reason I convert to shakehand.

Just continue to over-analyzing it ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Several middle of the road possibilities at coles... I frequently recommend the 896 blade with xp2008 rubbers... that is middle of road control and under 40 usd delivered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion.

Another option is that I might just get Galaxy MC2 with Neo H3 and Neo TG3 from colestt. It might be a little bit slow for me but should not be too far off. I can see how my skill will develop. It's not expensive. If I really need to, I can cough up another $100 to $150 in a year or two.

I will talk to a couple of coaches this weekend at the club and see what they say. A while ago, one of them suggested that I either need to hit with less power and let the game develop, or I need to get a slower paddle reduce my unforced errors.

BTW, I just realized that why I hit so hard and never know how to control the pace. I played volleyball for my college as an inside attacker, and later played competitive badminton with aggressive style at a pretty high level (metals in state games). In those games, you hit to kill and never really think about control... Now I am older and almost 50% heavier, and finding TT as a game with totally different mind set.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Which H8 did you try ? ...

The H8 on the latest commercial DHS A6002 paddle is what I tried, probably the one call straight H8 when selling normal rubber. (another one is probably hard). I ordered it from China and had it shipped here, just for trying H8 mostly. After I got it and played with it for a week, a co-worker tried it and "robbed" it away(he was using the paddle in the company, $20 for 4 from Walmart...:D). I borrowed it back today and tried it on the BH, and it was not as a perfect fit to me as it is on the FH, but not bad. It still feel top heavy but somehow my elbow did not bother me today, as it is still recovering. The TinArc on the FH was pretty funny. I did also play TinArc on BH and found it was too slow for me.

I probably should have something with 8.5-8.7 speed rating on both BH and FH. (Revspin rating.)

Too bad that Sanwei TN has only one rating...

BTW, I am in Atlanta GA metro.

This user has no status.
howcome, I live in the Atlanta area as well. Any chance we know each other? I frequently play at Sister Louisa's on Monday nights.

As for blade advice, I like Chinese brands as well. I have tried DHS PG5 and H301; Yinhe (Galaxy) T-8S and Pro V14. They are all very nice and good value for the price. I found one common issue is the weight. Most of these blades I mentioned weigh at 90g or more. Chinese rubbers like H3 tend to be on the heavier side, you might find the paddle too heavy for your comfort. My general rubber setup are combinations of 729 and DHS rubbers (2.2mm). These rubbers on Chinese blades usually result in paddles weighing around 185g.
If you are not looking for extreme speed, I would recommend Stiga Offensive CR (mine is 83g). It's much lighter than my Chinese blades and has great feeling and control. After putting Chinese rubbers on it, the paddles weighs about 176g. This is my recommendation for a light offensive blade good for both training and serious play. The blade cost about $45; I think it's on sales on tabletennis11 right now for $32. You can put any Chinese rubbers on it and it's good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello usualsuspect, I live in East Cobb area and just started going to EC Sports since May...

Yes, I think I should be looking for a blade under 90g, preferable around 85g. It should give me room to put on heavy rubbers.

Does anyone here use https://tabletennis-reviews.com/reference/rubber-sheet-mass-size-database/ ?

I am wondering how reliable it is. It seems that Sanwei Target National is pretty light.

howcome, I live in the Atlanta area as well. Any chance we know each other? I frequently play at Sister Louisa's on Monday nights.

As for blade advice, I like Chinese brands as well. I have tried DHS PG5 and H301; Yinhe (Galaxy) T-8S and Pro V14. They are all very nice and good value for the price. I found one common issue is the weight. Most of these blades I mentioned weigh at 90g or more. Chinese rubbers like H3 tend to be on the heavier side, you might find the paddle too heavy for your comfort. My general rubber setup are combinations of 729 and DHS rubbers (2.2mm). These rubbers on Chinese blades usually result in paddles weighing around 185g.
If you are not looking for extreme speed, I would recommend Stiga Offensive CR (mine is 83g). It's much lighter than my Chinese blades and has great feeling and control. After putting Chinese rubbers on it, the paddles weighs about 176g. This is my recommendation for a light offensive blade good for both training and serious play. The blade cost about $45; I think it's on sales on tabletennis11 right now for $32. You can put any Chinese rubbers on it and it's good.

Last edited:

This user has no status.
L

This user has no status.
I cannot give opinions myself, but I too started a thread asking for help to build a Chinese racket and got some good recommendations.
The thread was: Aliexpress beginner racket

Being an over thinker myself, and after way more research then I needed, I ended up with the following:
Blade: Yinhe Earth 3
FH: Friendship 729 Battle II
BH: Palio AK47 Yellow

Again, I have no experience with the equipment.
I’m just suggesting you to have a look, since we have similar characteristics and I found so many good comments on these items.

Also, this link might be useful:
http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Thanks for sharing the link.

Your choices are indeed very good ones. I wanted to have 729 Battle II also, but could not find it anywhere, not sure if I can trust Aliexpress, though.

I do have friends going back to China from time to time, and I might go back next summer.

I cannot give opinions myself, but I too started a thread asking for help to build a Chinese racket and got some good recommendations.
The thread was: Aliexpress beginner racket

Being an over thinker myself, and after way more research then I needed, I ended up with the following:
Blade: Yinhe Earth 3
FH: Friendship 729 Battle II
BH: Palio AK47 Yellow

Again, I have no experience with the equipment.
I’m just suggesting you to have a look, since we have similar characteristics and I found so many good comments on these items.

Also, this link might be useful:
http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I would suggest you have a convo with Cole. He offers great advice which can be spot on if you are able to describe your game accurately. This happened in my case and the combo he suggested was awesome. I still love it, except for the fact that now I prefer a faster setup which I got from American Hinoki. Cole could easily have done that for me as well, but now I play Jpen more than Cpen.
Talk to Cole and I quite sure you will be very happy with what he suggests and you will also find the price hard to beat.

Reactions: ttmonster

This user has no status.
L

This user has no status.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Your choices are indeed very good ones. I wanted to have 729 Battle II also, but could not find it anywhere, not sure if I can trust Aliexpress, though.

I do have friends going back to China from time to time, and I might go back next summer.

I have bought a lot of (non tt) stuff from Aliexpress for years, never had any problems.

I ordered this one ($18,10 via app + 2$ coupon):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RIT...e-Tennis-PingPong-Rubber-With/1995844234.html

Although this particular item does not have any reviews, it is from GH Sports, part of a well-recommended group of stores.

In the 729 Battle II Rubber Review thread, someone mention that the production of this rubber would stop.
Got curious about it and just asked GH Sports if they know something about it. I will post the answer here, when I get it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Thanks for the advice, I might take a video and share with Cole then.

I probably will take a month or two to make the decision and I will report back to this thread. I am just very indecisive...

I would suggest you have a convo with Cole. He offers great advice which can be spot on if you are able to describe your game accurately. This happened in my case and the combo he suggested was awesome. I still love it, except for the fact that now I prefer a faster setup which I got from American Hinoki. Cole could easily have done that for me as well, but now I play Jpen more than Cpen.
Talk to Cole and I quite sure you will be very happy with what he suggests and you will also find the price hard to beat.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Met up with usualsuspect today at my club. Actually, he joined my club today... :)

Tried a couple of rackets he brought and really liked the few of one of the Friendship/729 has the best feel in both FH and BH. If I had a little bit doubt about the necessity of getting a new paddle, it is gone after I tried them.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Joola set I have and probably will come back to it later after my skill improves.

Thanks a lot to all the advice and I will keep you guys updated about my journey.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Tried a few more rackets yesterdat. Blades (Galaxy V14, Stiga Infinity VPS V, Yasaka Extra Special), rubbers (DHS G888, 729 transcend cream, DHS TG3, H3 and a few others)from usualsuspect. This guy is great. So knowledgeable and so willing to help, and he has all these stuff in his collection.

I also tried another Galaxy blade with 729 general from the coach. It was made for a little girl, and I can tell that I am okay with the rubber and hate the super thick and light balsa blade. (Galaxy T11 or something like that.)

After all the test play, I found that I can tell the difference between blades and rubbers, and also sometimes can separate the different characters of the blades and rubbers when they are on a paddle together. My understanding of different blades and rubbers just improved 1000% in the past few days. Thanks to the forum, the revspin.net, and most of all, usualsuspect.

Here is what I settled with for now:
Sanwei Dynamo
729 Battle II 49 black
729 Battle II 47 red

I liked the Stiga Infinity VPS V and DHS TG3 for BH, Dynamo has similar ratings for each category and is very reasonable priced on Aliexpress.
Liked DHS TG3 BH and H3 FH but felt that I need more speed/power, so going for Battle II, with different hardness just for the sake of having different sponges. I am not sure which one will be my FH or BH.

It is a little bit risky as it does not really have speed reduction from my current paddle, but I am hoping better control will help me to improve the game, and I believe serve and short will be much better.

If it is too fast, I will move the Battle II rubbers to a slightly slower blade, and get two cheaper and slower 792 rubbers for the Dynamo. Just to build my own arsenal.

I will report back once I have the paddle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
So true.

I might have been over analyzing and maybe now over experimenting. Anyway, it will be a couple weeks before I get my new paddle, and I feel excited and nervous at the same time.

Theory can't be true until experiment is conducted and confirmed. What you assume correct (for you) for now will be wrong in the future.