Footwork for push to loop transition

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello,

I'm wondering about the correct footwork for the transition from push (return) and loop (4th ball)

I use to always put the right leg forward under the table to do the backhand push, forehand push, flip etc.. But a coach told me it's better to put the left leg forward for the backhand push in order to already be in position for the incoming loop to do (the left leg is forward, the right behind so it is already as it will be for the loop)

What do you think about it ?

For me it's weird to use a different footwork for backhand and forehand push.. And also what about doing a backhand from the middle ? I don't see how i can put my left foot forward here

Nevertheless, i indeed feel it's a lot of footwork when i do backhand push then a pivot open up loop. I feel quite often rushed. So maybe there is a good idea here ? And only use it for backhand push to the backhand side, not when it is to the middle

What is your thought about this ? Thanks for your ideas ! :)

Wister

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
May as well watch the best.

It looks to me like ML and FZD step in with the right foot to push with FH.

I did not see to many BH pushes. I only watched the first min. But for sure, when FZD steps in to flip, it is his right foot that goes under the table. My money says, if he was to go in and push, the footwork would not be different.

Since they are the best, I think that it may be worth understanding why they do it that way.

I could come up with a few reasons:

1) If you step over the table and sometimes stop with right foot and sometimes with left, it could confuse you.
2) If you step in with the right foot, you have to step out with the right foot, which actually gives you power as you plant and rotate on the next shot.

But I guess different players and coaches do things differently. So I would not say there is a right and a wrong. But there is a reason ML and FZD are the best. :)

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
There is an ovtcharov tutorial on a backhand flick (his is pretty good too :)). One of his key points is to get the elbow as close to the ball as possible and if you try it, its possible to get closer to the ball when u move the leg on the same side as your playing hand (e.g. right leg for RH). For that reason alone i would say move in with your right leg, as it would make you easier to read if you moved a different leg for a flick and a push.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@Wister

i have the privilege to work with a pro coach; his advice is when playing over the table, step with your right foot (if you're right-handed) whether its a short receive, flick, FH or BH.

To get back into position more quickly, here is the advanced tip:
when you step forward, contact the floor with you heel first (NOT your toes), as you get close to the ball, naturally youre shifting your balance forward and you will/should be on your right toe when playing the ball. Then you PUSH on your toes to jump back in position. What is important when playing over the table, is not to lose your balance. Even your upper body should be like always leaning forward, the danger is to lean forward too much when playing these short balls, and lose your balance, so you cannot recover in time.

He also recommends like after any stroke, but even more for these short strokes, to cover your BH, it means arming your BH ready with the tip of the racket at 7/8 o'clock and wrist bent in, to be ready for a (diagonal) block. You have always more time to play a FH.

I practice a lot the following drills: partner serves short to my FH, i flick middle or his FH, he blocks middle or FH and free play. My feeling is that unless you can keep the ball short when receiving, its best to receive to the middle, and difficult to play a parallel shot. its more difficult to control sidespin, and the ball go out or pops up more easily if you play parallel. [to get more control when playing parallel, you may need to add your own sidespin]. In my experience, a FH cross flick is easily anticipated and gives a lot of easy placement options to the opponent.

Another similar drill, i serve short, partner receives short to BH, i do banana flick to his BH then free. Many variations

Last edited: