Rubber for much older players used to pre-built paddles?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
This question is not for myself, as I'm a younger player (30s), but for these older individuals (late 60s to mid 80s) I play doubles with once a week:

The older players I play with spend lots of money buying new pre-assembled paddles - the kind with cheap rubber sheets semi-permanently attached to a low quality blade. Many of them are falling apart, and clearly messing with their ability to play consistent shots. Since I make blades and have a surplus of 5 ply blades, I would like to start giving them as gifts to my much older friends, but I cannot afford to buy rubbers for them (they need to buy them and I'll glue them for them). It also wouldn't make too much sense for them to have high spin, high speed, or tensor rubbers. Some of the players have ok form, but many play junk balls (i.e., high, always/only sidespin, goofy strokes) they have "practiced" for the last 50 years. Some are open to getting better and are starting to develop modern strokes.

With that in mind, do you have any suggestions for decent, durable rubber for beginner to low-intermediate players that are ideally under $25 a sheet? I say $25, as some players are better than others and some like spending more money than others...but sheets in the $10-15 range would be ideal.

Palio AK47 Blue? Gambler aces? 729-5?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You can’t go wrong with Palio AK47, but Yinhe Mercury II is like 5 euros, and it’s a basic rubber. It might not be anything special, but it’s definitely playable and much better than premade stuff.

Here:
http://s.aliexpress.com/7RB3iIny

They’re a bunch of other rubbers in the same range as well, like reactor corbor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nate4s
It may be not exactly an answer to the OP question, but in my club all players using tenergy and tensors give our old rubbers to club members who can not afford the price. And usually these old rubbers are of 2-4, maximum 6 months of use. But in my club we give these rubbers mainly to youngsters. Most of our old players are very experienced veterans and currently we have a national champion in 50+ and 2nd and 3rd places in 60, 70 and 80. They don't need help setups, in fact they are helpers.

Reactions: Nate4s