Twisting your knees while doing weight transfer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey guys,Today in training I was practicing my topspin and I was doing the weight transfer perfectly fine.I asked my coach and she said you are going foward.I feel it on my left thigh which is correct,but I noticed I move my knees a bit.I thrash my right leg against the ground,twist and I transfer to left.Sorry if I wrote a long paragraph but the question is when you move your knees slightly is that bad?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I’d like to ask a question,I saw a video on tomorrow table tennis about becoming a pro player.I understand all the tips but my problem is my resetting is not good,When you do a shot do you do quick steps to regain balance and position after every shot?i was doing the 3 point forehand drill and when I cross over with forehand for the 3rd point I do the shot,however I am not able to restart the forehand and positioning to go back to the backhand.I really want to be more quick on my positioning for my shots.thanks for reading :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
You mean you play a pivot (FH from the backhand side), then crossover to wide FH and fail to recover?

There is a thing about 3-point FH, Falkenberg and other drills that include a pivot. Although you can see pros doing them a lot, they are sort of pointless. For example, it makes no sense to play more than a single iteration of the Falkenberg. Why? In a game, if you play a pivot, you have to hit hard to win the point outright, because it will be difficult to get to the next shot. In case you don't win with the pivot, you may have the second chance and make a crossover. If you didn't win by this time, you are done. At best you will end up fishing some 10 feet away from the table. So if you want to train pivot and crossover, go ahead and practice them, but not in a continuous pattern, because it will never happen in a game.

When pros do these drills, they usually "cheat" by moving into position ahead of time so that they will not have to crossover. There is some utility to this training, but not much, at least for us.
For example, in the video below FZD is playing 3pt FH, but he does not cross over his legs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I’m struggling with focusing (resetting).I saw a video and the person said once you hit do small quick steps to position and keeping balance.I now understand cross overs are hard to then position to pivot after doing the shot but you must skip after every shot you do right?For example I serve they chop long to forehand I loop then they catch me in the backhand corner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
but I’m wondering how do you recover after every shot because I see the pros they skip RIGHT after the shot to be ready.Do I need to the 2 point forehand drill? (One to forehand corner and one in middle) but making sure I have a habit of recovering by skipping after every shot.My coach says keep moving and don’t stand once u do the shot.Does it come naturally?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Skipping is good and does help, but the reason why FZD is on time in the video above:

1) He plays half-assed shots (to his standards), so the ball does not come back very fast. You can do this too, just reduce the power by 20-30%, and you will be in position most of the time
2) His legs are incredibly strong

2-point FH is good, better is half (or 2/3) of the table random, all forehand. Playing 3-point FH is also good the way FZD deos, but one has to keep in mind that this sequence will probably not occur in a game and different footwork will be needed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
Hey guys,Today in training I was practicing my topspin and I was doing the weight transfer perfectly fine.I asked my coach and she said you are going foward.I feel it on my left thigh which is correct,but I noticed I move my knees a bit.I thrash my right leg against the ground,twist and I transfer to left.Sorry if I wrote a long paragraph but the question is when you move your knees slightly is that bad?

This again? Really?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Most of the time I do flat hit contacts with fh during footwork which makes the footwork more faster,if you want to reduce power do you lift the ball more vertically? But still going foward with the shot.Also should I do 1 flat and one slow loop in a pattern to focus on control and recovery

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
If you look at the video above check out the knee movement at the beginning of the video in hte forehand. The left knee moves to the right to support the hip rotation. The right knee moves too and then resets during the forehand as the hip drives forward. The feet end up forward resetting for the next stroke. Post a video of your stroke for comments from some real experts on this forum (not me) if you want good advice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
also can any of you recommend any new blades and rubbers I can buy for an attacking player? because my rubbers are dead.My fh loop is decent but I need to reduce power and working on technique.bh loop needs working.Id like it not to be too expensive just an affordable normal price

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Oh, so the reason why you do that is because you can be in balance for the shots you do and being positioned on where the balls coming.Im curious does it come naturally as you play? Or does it need to be a habit.So when I’m doing forehand footwork I do quick steps to be in position for the shot and skip a little to be balanced