Twisting your knees while doing weight transfer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
also I need help on other clubs,Are there any other good clubs in London to go to so I can train match play etc?my coach says if u want to do match play, go to other clubs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
ok so today I was training and I was doing the little steps after every shot,Is it bad if your recovery time is a bit off because my coach said you are a bit tense which makes your body a bit stressed.My positioning was alright and Footwork was good,but I notice that the advanced players in my club or even high intermediate players exhale after they do every shot,Is this needed for relaxation to help your muscles flow?also do I need to moan like ovtcharov

Last edited:
This user has no status.
you may be overthinking this ever so slightly. you're likely feeling stress because u think too much. I know no good tabletennis players who think that much about every single shot and you would likely benefit a lot from just playing loads of forehands and seeing what shots u feel u make good contact on and then do that again. the whole exhaling thing is actually something that comes naturally when ur playing certain shots as u gain power so i really wouldnt worry about it and certainly wouldnt try to emulate it because it will just be annoying to everyone else. Just relax and enjoy it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys,I have improved a lot in the past month and my brushing contact,footwork has been getting better.Now the thing is my coach says use ur wrist for more spin and power,i have good rotation into my shots,My arm is sometimes stiff but I just need to keep playing,The thing is I am practicing to whip my forearm and squeeze the handle a bit when I contact the ball and my forehand is smooth,spinny, controlled and i feel comfortable playing my forehand like that. .this is what I’m talking about https://youtu.be/qnfBXKP7lD0 I feel the ball sinking into my rubber when I snap my forearm and tighten my grip.Now in a nutshell,I really want to be a top player in the country and my coach says if u don’t whip ur wrist you will never advance as a player,My rotation with my shots are much better,My recovery time is improving and I’m just a bit tense on my forehand.Is my coach right on using the wrist to advance?Ik u guys are not coaches but if u have a style like whipping my forearm which is effective and works,can u be a top player?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It sounds like your coach knows what he is doing. If your wrist does not have whip action there are one or two reasons why:

1) It might be that you are too stiff when you do the FH. This is common. You will move past that habit. But it will hold you back until you do.

2) It could be because some aspect of the mechanics are not quite how they should be.

Both of these are likely and they often go hand in hand. If you are holding the racket in a way that is good and your mechanics are good, you will have a whipping action from your wrist as a result of the snap of the forearm on the acceleration.

But don't stress these words. It will happen over time. But if you have the right mechanics, the whip action will happen without you trying to get it to happen.

Whip mechanics on serve, Brett Clarke video:

Whip mechanics video on all shots:

He looks like someone not to take seriously. But he gets crazy amounts of spin. And he is actually an amazing coach. The whip mechanics for the serve are really the same thing as what should happen during any stroke. If you are relaxed, and do the stroke correctly, your wrist will whip at the right time.

When this happens, it means you can use much less effort and get way more racket speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I see some top players in leagues they whip the forearm and really do use their legs to generate speed spin and control,i think i should just play and be relaxed,so I can accelerate and my forearm isn’t stiff,The forearm whip builds up with the wrist whip,in order to do that u must be relaxed,My coach says it will come naturally quickly just be focused

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,Now the problem I’ve noticed with my footwork is that i don’t know if I stay on my front of foot,front foot and back foot or back foot.I have been struggling with this lately and after every time I do small little steps,I’m slightly on my front foot and it’s harder for me to execute a powerful shot with the weight transfer.Weight transfer comes from the middle/back of heel or the back and you push and twist on the right but ur right foot shouldn’t be going up and loose, your right foot should be slightly a bit up and your left foot should be sticking onto the ground.I saw a zeio video on this guy explaining the heel stance,I’m very confused how can I fix this

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I understand you shouldn’t put the weight onto forefoot with the ready position,because your body will become uncoordinated.Yiur supposed to use your heels for the power as I can see,but I’m struggling with the footwork,If u were to move from forehand to middle forehand should you be on your toes when you are moving?Or should I stay stable with my feet and heels balanced like this guy was doing and be able to move?I DONT understand the footwork stance.Sorry for writing long paragraphs but I’m struggling with my body being coordinated while doing weight transfer and footwork movement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
when you are doing footwork and getting back to ready position,ARE u supposed to be on the balls of your feet while moving or on the heel and toe but still doing little steps for recovery and movement.I find it very confusing should u be on the balls of ur feet or heel and toe?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,now my forehand topspin is getting good and I’m having spin,but the problem is when I’m using the bent arm technique my muscles feel tense and I don’t have whip ..This is what I’m talking about https://youtu.be/tyCTDQRkPHo Now should I do this technique or will it affect my recovery time?The problem is with the bent European style is that I become tense,even though my coach says relax and I try to I’m still tense.My forearm is stiff and my wrist as well when using the bent arm technique.Its hard to whip but in a nutshell,should I do this whipping technique or keep trying to have a bent arm style and better recovery time?It makes me feel tense and my momentum isn’t good.Just asking ty

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,now u see the bent European loop style,U can have better recovery time but the problem is u will tense up naturally and if I try to relax my biceps are still tense.The whip forehand Chinese technique (looping with arm straight and racket down) can generate more spin and speed,your also relaxed and able to whip more.Do u recommend for me to do this technique?my coach says just keep doing the European loop style it’s fine you have really good recovery and decent consistency,he says whip more but the biceps are stressed and it’s harder to whip,should I change the European to Chinese loop? What are ur thoughts

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
if I want a more relaxed technique and better whip is the Chinese technique better(as Brett Clarke demonstrates it and shows the disadvantages of the European bent loop)