Blade Builders Thread

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
A year ago i send one of my blade to Dan for review and giveaway (mostly giveaway) . But till this day Dan did not have time to make any of it ... and unfortunately he did not answer to my personal messages about it . I`m sad about it cause i want to make someone happy to try one of my blades...... but maybe if other blade builders will give one sample of they work for review and giveaway , it will be more interesting for him to do a multiple test between hand made blades ... hard to say ... but i think it is worth to try ....
What do you think ?
here is photo of the blade ...
ttd_blade.jpg

Last edited:
says PayPal as gift just choose send money to friends and...
says PayPal as gift just choose send money to friends and...
Sep 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
A year ago i send one of my blade to Dan for review and giveaway (mostly giveaway) . But till this day Dan did not have time to make any of it ... and unfortunately he did not answer to my personal messages about it . I`m sad about it cause i want to make someone happy to try one of my blades...... but maybe if other blade builders will give one sample of they work for review and giveaway , it will be more interesting for him to do a multiple test between hand made blades ... hard to say ... but i think it is worth to try ....
What do you think ?

Bob,

I'd certainly be willing to build one, though I don't have any idea how to do what you did burning on the TTD logo onto the blade face. Looks like this is a 5+2 carbon blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
What do you think ?
View attachment 17569

A real shame Dan hasn't reviewed it. Great blade Bob.

Reactions: Jirrex and Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hello, I was very bored because I can't go to the club, school and other things I usually do due to corona virus so I decited to try to make a blade. I have looked at what types of wood I have at home and found that I have white oak, poplar and european ash. I was thinking of making a 5 ply blade with composition oak-ash-poplar-ash-oak.Poplar is the softest out the 3, and oak hardest. I was thinking to do a 2 mm core, than ash 1.2 mm and oak 0.6 mm as outer ply.

What do you think? Do you have any racommendations or would you do a diffrent composition?

Today I have collected the peaces of wood and cut them to be about 5 mm thick. I am plannig to sand them tommorow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I can tell you that composition it's not going work very well. It's going to be heavy and hard. Poplar it's lighter than the other two but it's still heavier than ayous and kiri. The medial is also very thick for such a hard wood. Anything over ~0.7mm has to be really soft, otherwise it's going to take over the whole feeling of the blade.

I think you are better of doing something like Ash 0.6 /Poplar 0.7 / Poplar 3.0

Hello, I was very bored because I can't go to the club, school and other things I usually do due to corona virus so I decited to try to make a blade. I have looked at what types of wood I have at home and found that I have white oak, poplar and european ash. I was thinking of making a 5 ply blade with composition oak-ash-poplar-ash-oak.Poplar is the softest out the 3, and oak hardest. I was thinking to do a 2 mm core, than ash 1.2 mm and oak 0.6 mm as outer ply.

What do you think? Do you have any racommendations or would you do a diffrent composition?

Today I have collected the peaces of wood and cut them to be about 5 mm thick. I am plannig to sand them tommorow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I can tell you that composition it's not going work very well. It's going to be heavy and hard. Poplar it's lighter than the other two but it's still heavier than ayous and kiri. The medial is also very thick for such a hard wood. Anything over ~0.7mm has to be really soft, otherwise it's going to take over the whole feeling of the blade.

I think you are better of doing something like Ash 0.6 /Poplar 0.7 / Poplar 3.0

Thank you for responding but I dont really understand the last santance. What composition and thickness do you racommend? Could you maybe write it like I wrote it or something.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thank you for responding but I dont really understand the last santance. What composition and thickness do you racommend? Could you maybe write it like I wrote it or something.
Ash 0.6 / Poplar 0.7 / Poplar 3.0 / Poplar 0.7 / Ash 0.6
Outer / intermediate / core / intermediate / outer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Marko - I think Hipnotic's suggestion is a good one. What I would say is that this being your first blade I wouldn't worry too much about the composition, perhaps keep your focus on developing the skills and processes for making a blade. There are lots of posts on how to do it which are listed earlier in this thread. Just make sure that you focus on safety if you are using tools that are new to you. Good luck, it's a great hobby and can be quite addictive.
Are you hand sanding or do you have a drum sander? Sanding more than 1mm is a big and messy job.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Marko - I think Hipnotic's suggestion is a good one. What I would say is that this being your first blade I wouldn't worry too much about the composition, perhaps keep your focus on developing the skills and processes for making a blade. There are lots of posts on how to do it which are listed earlier in this thread. Just make sure that you focus on safety if you are using tools that are new to you. Good luck, it's a great hobby and can be quite addictive.
Are you hand sanding or do you have a drum sander? Sanding more than 1mm is a big and messy job.

I have tried sanding poplar but all peaces have cracks going all the way through (might be because I got it of an aplle box and it was damaged or something). I have a machine for sanding but I don't know what it is called in english, it might be a drum sander. If the circumstances were normal and I could leave the house I would go in the forest and tried to find beech or some other soft wood for the core, but I can't so unfortunatly I will not be able to make a blade until the I am allowed to leave my house. :(

By the way yours and hipnotic's blades look awesome. I admire your work.