New playing style trend with the new ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello everyone,

I've re-watch the videos by EmRatThich on the new trend of TT and i'm wondering how you implement it yourself ? Or if you don't ?

In short he explains what should change with the new ball that bounces higher, and shorter with less spin and speed

In part 2, at 8:46 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGxAvayVVkI
The new trend is :
- Hit sooner, faster, quicker
- Stay closer to the table
- Agressive attack all of the serve (because the ball is less spin dependant and bounces higher)
- Focus on speed, borrow the opponent speed, hit on the bounce, on the table, and counter attack every ball

In part 3, at 14:51 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV8xPM9sZ8
The trend is shifted more from 'steady and powerful attack' at mid distance (domination the scene during 3020-2016) to 'quick attack and counter hit close to the table' (from 2016-now)

Some questions i see
- Do you think it is advisable for intermediate player ?
- Should we aim for more early timing or is it overall too difficult ?
- How can it works with Chinese rubber and technique ? As it needs long and full stroke, it's seems difficult to combine both
- Concretely what do YOU want to change with that in your game ?

For myself i think i will try to play closer to the table (i take a step back too soon and often) and play more early backhand (i feel it's easier to do an early BH than a early FH, especially with chinese FH rubber. Not sure). And overall i will try to be really more agressive. Not so much with playing crazy hard (i already have some power also) but just trying to keep my ground close from the table. Not sure I will like it as i naturally like mid distance

So your ideas ? Should we take it into account for how game ? What do you change with this new ball ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Just to continue on this subject, i've read an article from http://protabletennis.net/content/lecture-material

It talks about the speed, distance and time reaction. It shows that there is a big difference

P.S : The formatting of the quote is bit weird, don't know why

2nd Principle - TIME AND THE CONSEQUENCES.

In the case of the average person reflex speed is around 0.20 of a second; one or two rare individuals may be faster than this. A smash on the other hand takes 0.10 to cross the table from end line to end line.
cache.php

As we can see from (J) there is a big difference looping close to the table and executing a similar stroke three metres back. If we feed in an initial speed of 15 m/second, ball (1) will reach the other end of the table in 0.2 of a second or slightly less and will then have a speed of 10 m/second - ball (2) on the other hand will take around 0.5 of a second and the speed will have dropped to 7.0 m/second. We must also bear in mind that even at relatively slow speeds, say an average of 40 kph, the ball will cover the length of the table in about 0.25 of a second which is just within the limit of human reaction time for the average player.

In our sport the importance of ‘reading the play’, of seeing what is happening as the opponent plays the ball (or in fact 5/6 centimetres before ball contact) is absolutely critical. We must use all possible cues (body and arm action etc) in order to give us every possible advantage.

It is also true to say that our sport is becoming faster and faster and as a result technique (and the economy and streamlining of all technical movements) becomes more and more important. Balance and ‘retained square-ness’ are especially vital. Because much of our technique has to be automated and because we play best when we react subconsciously, we have to make sure that the automated reflexes are absolutely flawless. With today’s time restrictions there is no room for manoeuvre.
Above all training must provide continuous and evolving possibilities for our athletes to apply a variety of techniques in a realistic and competitive environment. Coaches must ensure that players, as they progress through the learning process, are able to identify the most suitable technique and apply this in a variety of differing situations. In other words because we are facing a rapidly changing situation all the time we play, to cultivate adaptive intelligence is absolutely vital. This is the ability to evaluate a scenario in an instant, take in all the immediately available solutions and then take the best action. Often this is called reactive thinking - the ability to think clearly under pressure and use any available means to hand to resolve the problem.

4. DIMINISHING BALL SPEED

Metres/SecondEqualsKm/HourSpeed after 3MSpeed after 6MSpeed after 9M
31=11220.113.38.5
27=97.217.411.07.6
24=86.415.010.07.0
21=75.613.08.56.5
18=64.811.58.06.0
15=54.010.07.04.8
12=43.28.06.254.0
09=32.46.54.53.0

At what speed does gravity come into effect? With a speed of 8.5 m/second (30.6 k/hour, 19.125 mph.) the air resistance is about equally as strong as gravity. Below this speed the effects of gravity come into play very quickly. Air resistance however increases or decreases by the square of the speed. This means that a doubling of the speed to 17m/second signifies a fourfold increase in air resistance. Halving the speed to 4.25 m/second would bring about a reduction in air resistance to around one quarter of gravity. In the case of fast counter play a normal speed would be in the region of 13 — 15 m/second which means immediately that it’s always the air resistance which is the dominating factor in the early stages of the ball’s trajectory.

We must also bear in mind that even at relatively slow speeds, say an average of 40 kph, the ball will cover the length of the table in about 0.25 of a second which is just within the limit of human reaction time for the average player.

Reactions: Atas Newton
If The new trend is:

- Hit sooner, faster, quicker
- Stay closer to the table
- Agressive attack all of the serve (because the ball is less spin dependant and bounces higher)
- Focus on speed, borrow the opponent speed, hit on the bounce, on the table, and counter attack every ball

So would I like to know from the Experts! which rubber and blades suites this Trend/style BEST! ?!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Wister...

Get a Joola T-Hold White Spot with Yasaka anti power and Gambler Reflectoid and call it a day.
YAP isn't that slow even with its relative thick soft sponge.
Funny, I have a Tony Hold white spot with Best Anti 1.3mm and Reflectoid 2mm. It is ssssllllloooowwww.
That is just for fun.
I have a TB ALC for serious play.
Equipment doesn't make as much difference as physical fitness, reaction time, and the ability to anticipate.
Any normal equipment should do. People can adapt, it comes down to preferences.
A question I always ask myself is what does this setup allow me to do that another setup can't do.
In the case is the THWS it is easier to control the ball and keep it short, low and slow.

A few years back I solved some differential equation for computing how the speed of the ball decays as a function of distance or time. The 40mm celluloid balls slow down by about half for every 5 meters. This roughly correlates to the data provided above. Playing close to the table reduces the need for fast equipment and still reduces the opponents reaction time. I think this is one of the things that made HZW such a tough opponent. I have never seen HZW take a step back.