SDC Handmade Blades

I post my successes, so I think it's only fair that I post some of my failures as well. In this case not so much a failure, but the inability to fully comply with the customer's requests. The problem with making "clone" blades is that even commercial blades can have a great variation within the same model. So, achieving the specific feeling the customer has in mind can be a hard task. On top of that I also need to comply with the weight and balance requested, which makes the job even harder.

Here the owner was looking for a soft innerforce ALC style blade, and even though my initial suggestion for this blade was A-C, which is a bit harder than ALC, he still wanted to use the ALC. Still, I misjudged how soft he wanted the blade, and in the end it turned out to be to be too soft and too slow for him. So what happened? Basically the core was too heavy, which constrained the resin application on the fiber to keep the weight in check, making it softer than usual. Lesson learned. He also wanted a Viscaria type handle, and in that regard I think I did not disappoint.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 88.3g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1200Hz
Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

285%201%20jpg.jpeg

285%203%20jpg.jpeg

285%202%20jpg.jpeg

285%204%20jpg.jpeg

Hipnotic, I like the form of this handle, Its a little larger than BTY's normal size?

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hipnotic, I like the form of this handle, Its a little larger than BTY's normal size?

Cheers
L-zr

The shape is basically the same. In this case I also tried to get the thickness right ,which on a Viscaria goes from 24.8 to 23mm. Personally I like it a bit thicker like 25 to 23.5mm. But the most important aspect, and that is ignored many times, is the perimeter of the handle. Here we have a tight curve, with a relatively flat top, which makes it feel bulkier.

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Sergio is totally right. The usual parameters given by companies do not give any indication whether the handle is seen as „thick“ or not. The most important part is: is it rounded a lot (e.g. long v) or is it „edgy“ like Timo Boll ST.
An edgy 23mm handle can be „thicker“ than a rounded 25mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Asymmetric blade, Viscaria structure but with an inner side.

Composition: Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / ALC / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 84.1g
Freq.: 1356Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

300%201%20jpg.jpeg

300%202%20jpg.jpeg

300%203%20jpg.jpeg

Reactions: Metaxa and Elraghy
Asymmetric blade, Viscaria structure but with an inner side.

Composition: Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / ALC / Ayous / Koto
Weight: 84.1g
Freq.: 1356Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

Koto-ALC forehand-side, Koto-Ayous BH-side?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Koto-ALC forehand-side, Koto-Ayous BH-side?
I would word this: Koto-ALC-Ayous vs Koto-Ayous-ALC since it is the same three plies in slightly different order. And leaving out the third ply makes it seem like one side is composite and the other side is not. :)

That said, I knew what you meant.

Reactions: Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

What can I say about this one? Basically it's like a IF ZLC on steroids...

Available FS.

Composition: Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / SZC / Ayous / SZC / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
Weight: 90.4g
Thickness: 5.55mm
Freq.: 1350Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

323%201%20jpg.jpeg

323%203%20jpg.jpeg

323%204%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
can you share its playing properties as compared with IF zlc?

when you mentioned about it being on steroids, are you saying that it is faster and have a longer curve?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
can you share its playing properties as compared with IF zlc?

when you mentioned about it being on steroids, are you saying that it is faster and have a longer curve?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Well, this is all conjecture because I haven't tested the blade, but this was my reasoning when I made it. Smoked Eucalyptus is harder than Koto, so the blade will have a crispier touch. Base speed feels a bit higher, but the kick on high impact will be a lot higher due to the szlc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Western Red Cedar is considered a nice alternative to Hinoki, but it's not exactly the same, not quite as dynamic. In result, this blade came out a little slower than what I was expecting. Still, the feeling is exceptional, a clear feedback without annoying vibrations. It's relatively stiff with a medium arc, but soft, which makes it ideal for controlled game near the table.

Available FS.

Composition: WRC / WRC / WRC
Weight: 89.0g
Thickness: 7.95mm
Freq.: 1350 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

317%201%20jpg.jpeg

317%202%20jpg.jpeg

317%203%20jpg.jpeg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Western Red Cedar is considered a nice alternative to Hinoki, but it's not exactly the same, not quite as dynamic. In result, this blade came out a little slower than what I was expecting. Still, the feeling is exceptional, a clear feedback without annoying vibrations. It's relatively stiff with a medium arc, but soft, which makes it ideal for controlled game near the table.

Available FS.

Composition: WRC / WRC / WRC
Weight: 89.0g
Thickness: 7.95mm
Freq.: 1350 Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

317%201%20jpg.jpeg

317%202%20jpg.jpeg

317%203%20jpg.jpeg
That is beautiful. The grains of the top ply, the core, the handle.....That is art and I bet it plays amazingly.

Reactions: hipnotic