SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Stumbled upon this thread, and it's compelled me to stop lurking and register an account... Man, your blades are beautiful!

I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own, but whenever I think about it, I get stuck on what kind of sealant / finish to use.

Do you use a poly on these? An oil? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I seal the face and edges of the blades with an acrylic varnish, but not the handles. On the handle I just use a bit of wax to bring out the colors sometimes. But if you do want to start making blades, I think that the kind of sealant you use is the least of your concerns 😅.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022

Thanks!

I seal the face and edges of the blades with an acrylic varnish, but not the handles. On the handle I just use a bit of wax to bring out the colors sometimes. But if you do want to start making blades, I think that the kind of sealant you use is the least of your concerns 😅.

Heh, fair enough, but I've got friends with a CNC router I can play with, and I'm used to CAD software. Just not woodworking. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A pair of custom combi cpen blades. Got some really nice detail on these Hong Kong and China flags.

- Hinoki / Cypress / Ayous / Spruce / Black Walnut
- 7.05mm
- 84.7 and 84.8g
- 1421Hz
- Balance: 3.8cm

456%20457%202%20jpg.jpeg

456%20457%203%20jpg.jpeg

456%20457%201%20jpg.jpeg

456%20457%205%20jpg.jpeg

This user has no status.
A pair of custom combi cpen blades. Got some really nice detail on these Hong Kong and China flags.

- Hinoki / Cypress / Ayous / Spruce / Black Walnut
- 7.05mm
- 84.7 and 84.8g
- 1421Hz
- Balance: 3.8cm

456%20457%202%20jpg.jpeg

456%20457%203%20jpg.jpeg

456%20457%201%20jpg.jpeg

I’m legally obligated to shout: GLORRRY GRREATEST COUNTRY!!!!
anyway, these are really detailed👍

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Custom order:

Left: Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Limba - 88.8g - 5.85mm - 1356Hz - Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Right: Hinoki / ALC / Kiri / ALC / Hinoki - 83.2g - 7.15mm - 1571Hz - Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

398%20401%201%20jpg.jpeg

398%20401%202%20jpg.jpeg

Reactions: Kolev and Haraold
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

What?! I know nothing about that 😶

Post the pics NOW, mister, before I post some false, heavily doctored up graphic pics with blade handles depicting and expressing your profound deep love and desire to make a dozen children with Frau Merkle... :D

Is that enough coercion?

The pics my Spanish friend sent me indicate you did some GREAT work for him. I hope you both profited from your hard work.

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Post the pics NOW, mister, before I post some false, heavily doctored up graphic pics with blade handles depicting and expressing your profound deep love and desire to make a dozen children with Frau Merkle... :D

Is that enough coercion?

The pics my Spanish friend sent me indicate you did some GREAT work for him. I hope you both profited from your hard work.

Ok ok, jeez, no need to go all rambo on me 😅

WP%2020220625%2016%2035%2003%20Pro1%20jpg.jpeg

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
S-AxC is a denser and more tightly woven version of AxC, this is the same concept as ZLC/SZLC and ALC/SALC. The result is a stiffer blade, with a higher reaction and longer and lower trajectory, but that still retains a soft feeling.

Available FS.

- Koto / S-AxC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / S-AxC / Koto
- 92.0g
- 5.8mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1550Hz
- Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

523%201%20jpg.jpeg

523%202%20jpg.jpeg

523%203%20jpg.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Speaking of oven, do you consider heat treating some of your wooden ply resources?

I put a bunch of Ayous cores in an oven once. Not to the extent of having a color change, but they lost some weight, only to regain it after a few days and causing one of the blades I used it in to warp. So it was not a successful experiment... I haven't tried anything after that.

I do use thermo treated Ash on many handles, but I already buy it like that. It's one of my favorite woods for handles.

This user has no status.

I put a bunch of Ayous cores in an oven once. Not to the extent of having a color change, but they lost some weight, only to regain it after a few days and causing one of the blades I used it in to warp. So it was not a successful experiment... I haven't tried anything after that.

I do use thermo treated Ash on many handles, but I already buy it like that. It's one of my favorite woods for handles.

Sad to read that. I guess, that you don't have spare time for these experiments, but maybe once it would worth to try treating a few sheets to at least medium-dark brown. For example, TSP/Victas SWAT is still a thing - maybe recreating them should not be considered as a goal, but it would be interesting, how these plies could play in a blade.
Another topic: in my recent blade choices I found, that having a medium hard/hard outer ply is beneficial for my play, but only when there is a considerably softer ply underneath. I like how "thicker than very thin" Koto plays sometimes up to about 0.6mm, but my new favourite is Black Walnut and I also have good feeling with Teak as well. I will still keep playing around with these recently acquired blades, but I will definitely hop in your waiting line at some time to get something really fancy and well-thought to details (however, I need to wait if EUR/HUF change consolidates over time).
So, based on the wood-database, I will seek for outermost wood plies with 1000-1800 lbf Janka hardness, and around 11-15 GPa modulus of elasticity for my future blade to order from you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Sad to read that. I guess, that you don't have spare time for these experiments, but maybe once it would worth to try treating a few sheets to at least medium-dark brown. For example, TSP/Victas SWAT is still a thing - maybe recreating them should not be considered as a goal, but it would be interesting, how these plies could play in a blade.
Another topic: in my recent blade choices I found, that having a medium hard/hard outer ply is beneficial for my play, but only when there is a considerably softer ply underneath. I like how "thicker than very thin" Koto plays sometimes up to about 0.6mm, but my new favourite is Black Walnut and I also have good feeling with Teak as well. I will still keep playing around with these recently acquired blades, but I will definitely hop in your waiting line at some time to get something really fancy and well-thought to details (however, I need to wait if EUR/HUF change consolidates over time).
So, based on the wood-database, I will seek for outermost wood plies with 1000-1800 lbf Janka hardness, and around 11-15 GPa modulus of elasticity for my future blade to order from you.

It wasn't a totally unsuccessful experiment. The weight changes allowed me to estimate the initial moisture content of the boards, and I learned my moisture content reader was giving me correct results. I also learned that the wood was pretty stable already, and that's the MC percentage it likes to have. It regained weight close to the original value, but it remained stable after that.

Getting those brown colored cores is a bit more difficult, but I still hope to achieve it if I ever get the time to do it.

Sure, let me know when you are ready to do it and we will think of something 🙂