SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is probably my most requested handle design, but there is a catch with this one. Unlike the majority of my other designs, in order to get the faded look, I dye the wood. This means that it needs a protective layer, otherwise the dye will rub off over time, so I seal the handle. I have tried several different products for this and found that shellac gives the best results, however it still creates a barrier for sweat absorption so the handle can become slippery. Some people have no problem this, but it can be a problem if you sweat a lot, so I always advise customers not to get this type of handle if that is the case. In this case the owner wanted to try it anyway so here it is.

Composition: 5 ply Spruce
Weight: 100.9g
Thickness: ~7.0mm
Freq.: 1510 Hz
Balance: 2.5 cm (low)

115_1.jpg

115_2.jpg

115_4.jpg

115_5.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
QUOTE=Hipnotic]This was another one of my experiments during quarantine. I hadn't built a a 7 ply with kiri core in a while and I wanted to try this Smoked Eucalyptus. The blade is very linear, not bouncy at all, and has a soft but solid and muted feel. However, you can clearly feel the hard to ply on harder shots.

Composition: Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / Kiri / Kiri / Kiri / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
Weight: 84.1 g
Thickness: 5.95 mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.4 cm (Low)

cache.php

cache.php

[/QUOTE]

I bought this blade from Sergio and it plays beautifully!

Just the right speed and no horrible vibrations, like so many machine made all-wood blades. It seems to make the rubbers pop too on hard hits where the harder outer ply gets through the sponge. Oodles of spin and aggressive pushes are a dream, loads of control and a ton of backspin, same with serves.

I actually think this Smoked Eucalyptus is like Koto for the 40+ plastic ball, meaning Koto is the new Limba etc etc. It has this unusual property of making it easier to return spinny serves, but yet grips the ball like crazy on thin contact brush loops, both slow close to the table and faster 1-2 metres back. I think the Janka comes in at around Walnut level, but it feels closer to how Koto felt with the old ball to me.

Craftmanship superb, service second to none, really impressed with the experience of buying a blade from Sergio. We also exchanged a number of emails regarding ideas for future blade purchases, this guy really knows his stuff!

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The first of 3 blades I made for a costumer. This one is my usual Innegra outer composition but with Indian Teak top ply.

Composition: Indian Teak / IC / Limba / Kiri / Limba / IC / Indian Teak
Weight: 90.7g
Thickness: ~5.7mm
Freq.: 1335 Hz
Balance: 1.9 cm (very low)

116_.jpg

116_2.jpg

116_3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Absolutely stunning.
Hopes it plays as good as it looks.

How fast do you think it is? I would maybe wan't one but inner. :p
Too bad I have too many blades. There is always next year...

Thanks! The usual Innegra outer uses Framiré as the top ply and that one is Off-, from my experience and others who have tested it. Indian Teak is harder than Framiré so it should be faster, I would say in the upper range of Off- or a slow Off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I just ordered blade number 7 + 8 from Sérgio.
Now I am waiting nervously for my "Dark Desire" :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Dear Hipnotic,
You have set such a high standard for artistry in blade making over the past couple of years that it would take something extraordinary to surprise those of us who've kept an eye on your work.
And this blade is just that: extraordinary!
Very well done!

This is one of those comments that really makes your day. Thank you!