SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Two more Limba blades, this time using red ALC. Actually, the veneer is dark limba, that's why there are some dark spots in the edges.

Blade 24 is a Inner Fiber type composition:

Limba/Limba/ALC/WRC/ALC/Limba/Limba - 93.4g - 5.85mm - 1290Hz

Blade 24_1.jpg

View attachment 19625

Blade 25 is a Michael Maze/ Marcos Freitas type composition:

Limba/ALC/Limba/Kiri/Limba/ALC/Limba - 87.9g - 5.6mm - 1300Hz

Blade 25_1.jpg

View attachment 19634

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
To be honest, the 3 stripes look like an Adidas handle but then again they are out of production now. Nice blades.

Ah ah, i was just waiting for anyone to notice. The Adidas Avenger Carbon had one of the most aesthetically pleasing handles in my opinion and some of my handles are based on that. I hope i don't get sued :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
your craftsmanship is great! I can tell you improved on the little details from the first one you posted.
It is really great to see, how your skills improved step by step, from blade 1 to blade 24 and 25 now, which both look fantastic in my eyes. Top craftmanship.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It is really great to see, how your skills improved step by step, from blade 1 to blade 24 and 25 now, which both look fantastic in my eyes. Top craftmanship.
Thanks Magic_M, I'm trying to improve with every build.

Enviado do meu SM-G531F através do Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I wanna say thank you to members Magic_M and Shinshiro for trusting in me to build their custom blades. I really hope you are happy with the result.

Blade 26 - This one goes to Magic_M. Straight handle made to his specifications. Very similar to Blade 16 but with Limba outer. The core was enlarged to compensate the softer outer ply and give some power away from the table.

Limba/Beech/3x Kiri/Beech/Limba - 81.7g - 5.85mm - 1205Hz

G1Ud9aO.jpg

kIB8d2S.jpg

Blade 27 - This one goes to Shinshiro. It's identical to Blade 23 but with a different wood selection in the handle to keep the weight down.

Limba/Limba/Basalt Fibre/3x Kiri/Basalt Fibre/Limba/Limba - 85.8g - 5.8mm - 1160Hz

mP3rxxg.jpg

4wLh7I0.jpg

View attachment 19749

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi, is there a thesis behind the 3x kiri cores? How much difference does it make vs a single thicker layer? Is there a specific "feel" you are going for?

Also, (philosophically) how would you approach designing a blade optimized for short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hi, is there a thesis behind the 3x kiri cores? How much difference does it make vs a single thicker layer? Is there a specific "feel" you are going for?

Also, (philosophically) how would you approach designing a blade optimized for short pips?

Well, basically it's a 7 ply blade so the same principles apply. The 7 ply is a softer, less stiff and has a bigger sweet spot. To me it feels almost as an ayous core but not as hollow as a 5 ply. The goal was to make a looping blade that didn't feel too hollow when blocking but still light enough.

I never played with short pips but i'm thinking something like a relatively soft outer layer to grab the ball and a harder medial ply/ inner type composition to get some acceleration on harder strokes.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This time something a little different.

This blade belongs to a very old player and it's from 1950! It had cracked before and the person who repaired it left a very ugly stripe on the surface that wasn't even flush with the rest of the blade, so a mark was visible after the rubber was glued. Now it cracked again.

I fixed the new crack and the split isn't even noticeable. While i was at it, i repaired the previous repair. I didn't have any cypress, which is the wood that the blade is made of, but i had some spruce, which is close enough. The result isn't perfect but it's much better in my opinion, and with the rubber glued it's like it never happened.

Delfim_frente.jpg

Delfim_tras.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
And two more custom blades.

The first one is based based on a classic composition but with a different, and very uncommon, medial ply.

Limba/Ako/Ayous/Ako/Limba - 84.3g - 5.8mm - 1162Hz

Blade 28_1.jpg

Blade 28_2.jpg

View attachment 19844

The second blade has a similar composition but uses Anigre as the medial ply and a thicker core.

Limba/Anigre/Ayous/Anigre/Limba - 84.3g - 5.8mm - 1162Hz

Blade 29_1.jpg

Blade 29_2.jpg

View attachment 19847