Back to Forum
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. shonuff is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 2 8
    S
    shonuff is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 8 2

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2021
    United States
    8
    2
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    Alternative to Hurricane Hao 3 Blade

    Hi all -

    I am currently using a Hurricane Hao 3 (HH3) blade, which I absolutely love for a few reasons. 1. It has really good feel; 2) it is not too fast or too slow - rather "just right" for my level and playstyle (I am am ~USTTA 1450-1500); and 3) I really like the flared handle - which seems to be much thinner/smaller than the handle of many other paddles.
    The downside to the HH3 is that it is quite fragile. I am now on my third HH3 paddle in 15 months. The first one broke when I caught the edge of the table during a loop. The top ply on the second one delaminated badly when changing the rubber (I've since learned not to use butterfly chack with that particularly blade), and the current (third) one is starting to show some cracking where the handle and the hitting portion of the blade meet.

    While I love the HH3 - I can't keep purchasing new ones as they are quite expensive. Might any of you recommend an alternative to the HH3? Budget is not really limited but I would like to keep it somewhat reasonable?

    I've been eyeing some of the Butterfly innerforce blades or even a Viscaria - but I am not sold on them because my experience has been that the flared handle of a butterfly blade is relatively thick compared to that of the HH3, and the blades are usually too fast or lack feeling.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 12 24
    Way Zooted's Avatar
    Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 24 12

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    United States
    24
    12
    76
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff
    hi all -

    i am currently using a hurricane hao 3 (hh3) blade, which i absolutely love for a few reasons. 1. It has really good feel; 2) it is not too fast or too slow - rather "just right" for my level and playstyle (i am am ~ustta 1450-1500); and 3) i really like the flared handle - which seems to be much thinner/smaller than the handle of many other paddles.
    The downside to the hh3 is that it is quite fragile. I am now on my third hh3 paddle in 15 months. The first one broke when i caught the edge of the table during a loop. The top ply on the second one delaminated badly when changing the rubber (i've since learned not to use butterfly chack with that particularly blade), and the current (third) one is starting to show some cracking where the handle and the hitting portion of the blade meet.

    While i love the hh3 - i can't keep purchasing new ones as they are quite expensive. Might any of you recommend an alternative to the hh3? Budget is not really limited but i would like to keep it somewhat reasonable?

    I've been eyeing some of the butterfly innerforce blades or even a viscaria - but i am not sold on them because my experience has been that the flared handle of a butterfly blade is relatively thick compared to that of the hh3, and the blades are usually too fast or lack feeling.

    Thanks in advance.

    DHS PG13... Not a lot of blades with that thin middle ply. I have a TTL Dictator blade that has a thin middle ply (wood not carbon). That type of construction has a unique feel & play qualities, which I like.

    Last edited by Way Zooted; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:17 PM.

  3. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 282 670
    Lazer's Avatar
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 670 282

    User Info Menu

    #3
    If you want a slow innerforce blade with a small handle, try innerforce ALC.S.

    Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

  4. Rock-Climber is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 11
    R
    Rock-Climber is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 11 3
    #4

    HH3 Alternatives

    I loved the HH3 and the narrow throat of the blade. I'm presently using a version of the ML5, which has the same throat (I'm now 1900, and like the faster blade with slower H3 & 09C rubber). I've also used Butterfly Liu Shiwen and IF ALC, and spent time with the Nittaku Acoustic and Acoustic Carbon Inner with both standard (i.e., small) and large handles. These blades are all close in speed, with the Acoustic being the slowest and most flexible.

    I recommend purchasing used blades, and reselling them if you don't like them. I suggest trying the Acoustic Carbon or Acoustic Carbon Inner with the standard (small) handle, or continuing with the DHS HH3 or other similarly handled DHS blade (perhaps invest in lesson to improve your stokes so you hit the table less). The IF ALC (and IF ALC-S) has a thicker throat, which I didn't like as well (I sanded it down to help).
    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff
    Hi all -

    I am currently using a Hurricane Hao 3 (HH3) blade, which I absolutely love for a few reasons. 1. It has really good feel; 2) it is not too fast or too slow - rather "just right" for my level and playstyle (I am am ~USTTA 1450-1500); and 3) I really like the flared handle - which seems to be much thinner/smaller than the handle of many other paddles.
    The downside to the HH3 is that it is quite fragile. I am now on my third HH3 paddle in 15 months. The first one broke when I caught the edge of the table during a loop. The top ply on the second one delaminated badly when changing the rubber (I've since learned not to use butterfly chack with that particularly blade), and the current (third) one is starting to show some cracking where the handle and the hitting portion of the blade meet.

    While I love the HH3 - I can't keep purchasing new ones as they are quite expensive. Might any of you recommend an alternative to the HH3? Budget is not really limited but I would like to keep it somewhat reasonable?

    I've been eyeing some of the Butterfly innerforce blades or even a Viscaria - but I am not sold on them because my experience has been that the flared handle of a butterfly blade is relatively thick compared to that of the HH3, and the blades are usually too fast or lack feeling.

    Thanks in advance.
    DHS ML5 (W968), FH: DHS H3, BH: Dignics 09c

  5. shonuff is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 2 8
    S
    shonuff is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 8 2

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2021
    United States
    8
    2
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Way Zooted

    DHS PG13... Not a lot of blades with that thin middle ply. I have a TTL Dictator blade that has a thin middle ply (wood not carbon). That type of construction has a unique feel & play qualities, which I like.

    Any idea where I can source the DHS PG13 in the U.S.? Table tennis 11 seems to have them, but I can't purchase it if I am shipping to the U.S.


  6. Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 12 24
    Way Zooted's Avatar
    Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 24 12

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    United States
    24
    12
    76
    Read 0 Reviews
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff

    Any idea where I can source the DHS PG13 in the U.S.? Table tennis 11 seems to have them, but I can't purchase it if I am shipping to the U.S.

    They are available on AliExpress.


  7. TareqPhoto is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 102 946
    T
    TareqPhoto is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 946 102
    #7
    DHS HH3 was my best or favorite blade i was playing with until i bought DHS L5X, but i will never give up my HH3, it is still in nice conditions and no damages, i bought it way long time ago, maybe 2016 or 2017 i can't remember, but since then it was my favorite until in 2020 i bought L5X and it became my first favorite and HH3 became the second, now i am planning to keep that HH3 for training only or as a backup or giving my partners in playing tempo if they don't have rackets.

    I was lucky to bought that HH3 in the past for $93, was the best offer i found in my life, and then i bought L5X no more than $135, i can't be happier than that, and i hope that they both live longer than me and never get stolen or lost [i have two blades got stolen].

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.