SDC Handmade Blades

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In other words, Hipnotoc is balance agnostic and can make a blade that is head heavy, center balanced or handle heavy as he desires. Which was my point in that thread where someone was trying to find a very specific blade type but one that was also handle heavy.

So I suggested a custom blade maker.

The post Hipnotic just quoted from that thread shows he knows how to make a blade with whatever balance he chooses. :)

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
In other words, Hipnotoc is balance agnostic and can make a blade that is head heavy, center balanced or handle heavy as he desires. Which was my point in that thread where someone was trying to find a very specific blade type but one that was also handle heavy.

So I suggested a custom blade maker.

The post Hipnotic just quoted from that thread shows he knows how to make a blade with whatever balance he chooses. :)
Thanks Carl. Clarity as ever. :)

This user has no status.
This is the feedback I got from the owner of that blade when compared to a National W968: "I think this makes the blade faster in the lower gears due to access to the carbon sooner. Overall the blade has a great woody feel with good dwell."

There were some differences in blade construction that I discovered later. Because I didn't had access to a real W968 I just went with the information I discovered online, which I found were untrue. That blade is in fact closer to the Innerforce ALC in construction, but there is still a difference in the grade of the ALC layer. My blade uses a higher density Aramid Carbon layer, so it might be in fact closer to the ZLC variant in feel. The Innerforce ALC has a frequency in the 1300-1350Hz range. I've learned a bit since then and can use different Composites or density depending on what the customer wants.

WRC is very close to Ayous in density, however the grain structure is very different, resembling more a spruce. That makes the blade softer but at the same time more direct, if that makes sense.

Regarding the Balance issue, here's a post I made in another thread:

Thanks Hipnotic. Great blades!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This was the second blade in the katana family, made for the same costumer.

Composition : Black Walnut / Yellow Pine / Ayous / Yellow Pine / Ako
Weight: 87.6g
Thickness: 5.7mm
Freq. : 1205 Hz

SquarePic_20200512_22202038.jpg

SquarePic_20200512_22214587.jpg

SquarePic_20200512_22211518.jpg

SquarePic_20200512_22204914.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
More quarantine experiments.

I have to admit there was an inspiration in a certain recent Butterfly blade :) I love the look of the Revoldia, so I wanted to make something similar without looking like a flat out copy. Composition wise it's also similar, except for the CNF layer, however I experimented with something I hope will give similar results.

Composition : Koto / Magic fairy dust / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Magic fairy dust / Koto
Weight: 88.2g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq. : 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low)

Blade 70_1.jpg

Blade 70_2.jpg

Blade 70_3.jpg

Blade 70_4.jpg

This user has no status.
More quarantine experiments.

I have to admit there was an inspiration in a certain recent Butterfly blade :) I love the look of the Revoldia, so I wanted to make something similar without looking like a flat out copy. Composition wise it's also similar, except for the CNF layer, however I experimented with something I hope will give similar results.

Composition : Koto / Magic fairy dust / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Magic fairy dust / Koto
Weight: 88.2g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq. : 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low)

View attachment 21410

View attachment 21411

View attachment 21412

View attachment 21413

And a nice Tele as well. What model is it? Mine's a Clapton Strat (Blackie).