SDC Handmade Blades

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have just received my blade from Hipnotic and it is awesome. So nice that I almost dare not use it, but instead put it in a frame and hang it on the wall. It looks that good and must be worth 4 points per end!

We need to see the proof. Without photos, it hasn't happened. Those are the rules. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I don't want anyone to doubt Basmundo so here it is. First I have to thank Carl for recommending me to Basmundo, I think it was a satisfactory transaction for both.

This was one of the blades I had the most fun building lately. Mostly because Basmundo was very clinical during the whole process, which is a good thing, this is what "custom" means. So after a few back and forth emails we set on a composition similar to the W968, based on Basmundo's playing style. But he also had a clear idea of what he wanted for the final weight, balance and frequency of the blade so it was an extra challenge to achieve that objective. The handle was inspired in the Harimoto blade and was projected to help with lowering the centre of gravity.

Composition : Black Limba / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Ayous / Black Limba
Weight: 88.5g
Thickness: 5.95mm
Freq. : 1360 Hz
Balance: 2.2cm (Very Low)

79_1.jpg

79_2.jpg

79_3.jpg

79_4.jpg

This user has no status.
We need to see the proof. Without photos, it hasn't happened. Those are the rules. :)

There you go Carl. I'll bet you want one now! :)
I echo Hipnotic's sentiments in thanking you for your advice and pointing me in the direction of a custom build by him. As he said, it was a very enjoyable process from my point of view and also valuable in that it made me analyse my game more intensely to be able to give Hipnotic what he needed to design the final composition.
I think you can get the impression of the high quality of the build from the photos. Hipnotic is clearly highly skilled as it is awesome! When TT lockdown is finished I will let you know how it plays.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't want anyone to doubt Basmundo so here it is. First I have to thank Carl for recommending me to Basmundo, I think it was a satisfactory transaction for both.

This was one of the blades I had the most fun building lately. Mostly because Basmundo was very clinical during the whole process, which is a good thing, this is what "custom" means. So after a few back and forth emails we set on a composition similar to the W968, based on Basmundo's playing style. But he also had a clear idea of what he wanted for the final weight, balance and frequency of the blade so it was an extra challenge to achieve that objective. The handle was inspired in the Harimoto blade and was projected to help with lowering the centre of gravity.

Composition : Black Limba / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Ayous / Black Limba

View attachment 21433

View attachment 21434

View attachment 21435

View attachment 21436

There you go Carl. I'll bet you want one now! :)
I echo Hipnotic's sentiments in thanking you for your advice and pointing me in the direction of a custom build by him. As he said, it was a very enjoyable process from my point of view and also valuable in that it made me analyse my game more intensely to be able to give Hipnotic what he needed to design the final composition.
I think you can get the impression of the high quality of the build from the photos. Hipnotic is clearly highly skilled as it is awesome! When TT lockdown is finished I will let you know how it plays.

There is just no way you could get as well crafted or beautiful a blade from a major brand.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

View attachment 21433

View attachment 21434

View attachment 21435

View attachment 21436

Sergio could you explain what do you understand as balance & how do you measure?

TIA
Felipe

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think this site has several members like Nate4 and BobPuls also who make custom blades. It is a real and valuable resource where you can get someone to make a blade exactly to the specifications you would like.

It is worth tapping into that resource when someone has a specific need. But even just having a great blade made specifically for you, that is totally unique and won't look like anyone else's blade, that is worth it, especially when the build quality is so high.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Excellent work as always!
Once things calm down and the exchange rate for BRL x EUR gets more reasonable (now is about 30~35% higher than January, crazy thing :(), I will probably buy another blade from you!
I liked your description on Instagram: "Custom order Table Tennis Blades at affordable prices - Handmade in Portugal". Please keep this philosophy hehe!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thank you Shinshiro!

That's my philosophy and I intend to keep it :)

Looking forward to work you you again!

Excellent work as always!
Once things calm down and the exchange rate for BRL x EUR gets more reasonable (now is about 30~35% higher than January, crazy thing :(), I will probably buy another blade from you!
I liked your description on Instagram: "Custom order Table Tennis Blades at affordable prices - Handmade in Portugal". Please keep this philosophy hehe!

I'm very curious to hear your impressions Ingo!

Had the opportunity to play with the blade yesterday evening outside. Used some really old Hexer Powergrip on both sides.
Overall, the blade did not play like a typical carbon/carbon-kevlar blade. It might be due to the thickness, the blade was not stiff at all. It felt like a typical Off- blade and I was comfortable directly from the beginning.
Now to the asymmetric built: The difference was really small. The side with the "outer" fiber and the walnut had a tad more power, lower throw and a higher pitch. The other "inner" side felt a little slower with higher throw.
Overall I would say that a blade with same thickness without the fiber would be wa slower and would have a higher throw with less catapult.
It seems indeed that at least the Innegra plays more "wood-like" and might be a nice addition if you don't want to go the hard and fast route with ALC like Viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Had the opportunity to play with the blade yesterday evening outside. Used some really old Hexer Powergrip on both sides.
Overall, the blade did not play like a typical carbon/carbon-kevlar blade. It might be due to the thickness, the blade was not stiff at all. It felt like a typical Off- blade and I was comfortable directly from the beginning.
Now to the asymmetric built: The difference was really small. The side with the "outer" fiber and the walnut had a tad more power, lower throw and a higher pitch. The other "inner" side felt a little slower with higher throw.
Overall I would say that a blade with same thickness without the fiber would be wa slower and would have a higher throw with less catapult.
It seems indeed that at least the Innegra plays more "wood-like" and might be a nice addition if you don't want to go the hard and fast route with ALC like Viscaria.

Thank you for the feedback Ingo. That pretty much was the experience I had with the two Innegra blades I tested. I guess your blades are a tad slower because they are thinner.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think is the distance from the top of the handle (thumb rest), going towards the head tip.
Exactly right shinshiro. I have a scale that goes from very low, which corresponds to a very light blade with a very heavy handle, to very high, which corresponds to a very heavy blade with a very light handle.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk